Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-27-2018, 04:16 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Need Expert Advice

Hi, We're new here. Thanks for having us.

The Recession in 2007 onward did a number on us. We had to stop Rv'ing to catch up. I'd say we recovered Ok and now we can get Back into Rv'ing but 11 yrs have passed. It's almost like being a novice again. So here is our Dilemma:
We Looove the Newmar 3923 because of that shed in the back and the Storage inside and out. No other brand offers anything like it. The problem (depending who you ask) is: IT'S A GASSER. We have money for a Diesel, but NO DP offers the Design (rear shed) of the Newmar 3923. I mean ultimately if the Cons outweigh the Pros of a gasser, I could get a DP and convert the Bunk house to a closet/storage. So...here we are. Is there anything I could do to this Newmar to bring it up as close as possible to the standards of a DP? like steering stabilizers, rear trac bars, changing out shocks, adding air ride, sway bars.... I know I wish this model came with a Diesel engine, but it doesn't. How can I make it Work? or am I just better off with a DP? PLEEEEEAAASE HELP
RightUR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-27-2018, 04:34 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
It sounds to me like you have driven a dp before and know the pit falls of a gasser.
Me thinks you know the right answer and are just trying to talk yourself into a different answer.
Convert the bunkhouse.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #3

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Newmar used to make a mid engine diesel with a toy hauler rear setup. It was on a Spartan chassis but Spartan quit making the chassis. I'm not sure what years it was even.
Some were set up with two slides in the rear with ramps to haul two motorcycles, some were like a normal toy hauler.
I got a good look at the bare chassis when I was at the Spartan factory in 2004.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2018, 04:53 PM   #4

Commercial Member

Don't intent to be picky but you will probably get more replies if the title is a little more descriptive as there are many "experts" on many dozens of different topics.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:59 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Soooooo. what's your advice?
Old 04-27-2018, 05:19 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
Mr D, wow, I just saw an add for a mid engine Newmar, 2008, all-star, 4481. 45', 440hp.
I had never heard of a mid engine dp before.
If the op is not looking for brand new this might be a start!
I'll pm the contact number if your interested
Old 04-28-2018, 09:47 AM   #7
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Maybe TMan59 has the answer for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 09:51 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMan59 View Post
It sounds to me like you have driven a dp before and know the pit falls of a gasser.
Me thinks you know the right answer and are just trying to talk yourself into a different answer.
Convert the bunkhouse.
This.
Convert the bunkhouse. To 'upgrade' all the engine, shocks, sway bars, and more you listed, a bunkhouse to master closet/storage conversion would be so simple.
The DP vs the gasser is the biggie, after that you can change anything inside as needed. I feel your money is best spent on reno inside vs. not getting that DP you really want.
BEST of LUCK on this and let us know how ya roll.

oh and there is no expert advice on the board HAHA

we just throw out what we feel might help and then you weed thru the replies and gain what might work for your situation LOL
Whirrlly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 04:08 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSHappyCampers View Post
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Maybe TMan59 has the answer for you!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
Thanks so much. I hope he does have an answer. 44ft is a lil long though. I like the 38-40 ft range.

thanks
Old 04-28-2018, 08:20 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome and good luck on the decision. Do remember to check the tow capacities on what every you choose as this may effect your toad choice.
momdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 12:16 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by momdoc View Post
Welcome and good luck on the decision. Do remember to check the tow capacities on what every you choose as this may effect your toad choice.
No doubt. We just have a Huge scooter (300cc). which we carry on a Hitch motorcycle carrier. Most folks would not put a motorcycle carrier on the back of a gasser, that's why I was loving the Shed that the Newmar model provides.
Old 04-29-2018, 04:22 PM   #12

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Depends on what you mean by th "Standards of a DP"
Advantages of a pusher over a front engine. Less engine noise
Advantages of Diesel over Gasser. More towing and cargo capacity.

Most everything else you are there already

Better ride: Shocks, make sure tires ar eproperly inflated Sway Bars, Track Bars and Steering stablizers all help

Shocks smooth the road, or give you better control rarley both
Sway bars control the side to side rocking in wind or the passing of a semi
Track bars control (AND I MEAN CONTROL actually 2o of them ELIMINATE) "Wag" that is where the RV seems to be going right or left when in fact it is going stroaight but one end has moved a bit to one side and the other the other.
Steering stablizers do their best to keep you on the 'Straigh" if not narrow. and can help in a blow out to mainting Straight as well

I would recommend the last two for all RV's. and sway bars if needed.
Old 04-29-2018, 05:51 PM   #13

Freightliner Owners Club
Contact Newmar they may be able to make some changes for you.

2016 F250 6.7
db7512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:30 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RightUR View Post
Hi, We're new here. Thanks for having us.

The Recession in 2007 onward did a number on us. We had to stop Rv'ing to catch up. I'd say we recovered Ok and now we can get Back into Rv'ing but 11 yrs have passed. It's almost like being a novice again. So here is our Dilemma:
We Looove the Newmar 3923 because of that shed in the back and the Storage inside and out. No other brand offers anything like it. The problem (depending who you ask) is: IT'S A GASSER. We have money for a Diesel, but NO DP offers the Design (rear shed) of the Newmar 3923. I mean ultimately if the Cons outweigh the Pros of a gasser, I could get a DP and convert the Bunk house to a closet/storage. So...here we are. Is there anything I could do to this Newmar to bring it up as close as possible to the standards of a DP? like steering stabilizers, rear trac bars, changing out shocks, adding air ride, sway bars.... I know I wish this model came with a Diesel engine, but it doesn't. How can I make it Work? or am I just better off with a DP? PLEEEEEAAASE HELP
Sounds like you are headed in the direction my wife and I are in. Finding a FRED is difficult and most are old. Unless you want to go with a Jayco Senica.

We are getting everything we want in a diesel truck and an Alpine 3901re.
Check it out. It is one of a kind and might just cover all your bases.

Tags
advice