Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-10-2014, 05:12 PM   #1

Need help - 1998 Georgie Boy 3815

Hello everyone, a few months ago I registered as a newbie. Picked up my rig in California and we've made it to the in laws in OK. Couple of nights ago we sat in an incredible lightning storm and lost power to fridge. Also generator stopped working. Maybe a coincidence. Anyhow I need the fridge. I checked breakers. They are good. Only fuse box I can find is next to breakers. All fuses are okay, but I'm thinking there's another fuse box that I can't find. Anyone any ideas? Second problem with generator. Gen turns over and runs, but it's not turning on AC. Fridge runs on LP.
mawganmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2014, 05:32 PM   #2

Do you have a volt ohm meter VOM?

This will help for sure. Without a meter you can still cycle the fuses on the side of the generator. Check the splice box right near the motor. The wire nuts often loosen with vibration. There is also a transfer switch - you probably hear it snap when you first power up the Genny. Do you hear it?

Of course if you have a meter we can try things a little deeper but those are easy to check without one

Good luck my friend!

Is it a Marque 5500?
Fl_Richard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:28 PM   #3

Freightliner Owners Club
Coachmen has the Owners Manual for the CruiseAir for download. It does have some wiring diagrams which may help.
Owners Manuals - Coachmen RV
Enter the year and select your model. On the generator, check the circuit breakers on the generator itself, they may have popped with a power surge. If generator continues to run, it's normally making electricity. I believe the CruiseAir has an inverter, often a portion of your power goes through the inverter... Check that it's getting power in and out.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 06:54 PM   #4

It's a Marquis 7000 generator. Unfortunately I have no voltmeter. I'm an amateur when it comes to electronics. There are two trips on the side of the unit. I reset but still nothing happening to either AC or fridge. Fridge is the challenge because I really need that to keep family happy. If I can't get it working tomorrow I'll take the easy route and take it to RV service center in Idabel.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:13 PM   #5

Get a lamp that you know is working, go outside pull the pannel off behind the frig and plug the lamp into the elect outlet that the frig is plugged into.
This will tell you if you are getting power to the frig.
You also need 12volt power for controls, which should be located in the fuse pannel inside. Be sure you don't have a blown fuse.
Just a couple things i would check, Good luck.
If you are not getting power you can run an ext cord to the frig for temp use.
Darwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:24 PM   #6

I got to the back of the fridge and there's a small unit with spade connectors. There's a red light on. I pulled the +12 volt connector and replaced. Red light goes out and I hear the LP kick in for maybe 20 seconds, stops then red light.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:26 PM   #7

Also, that's the fuse box I can't find. I can only locate fuse box in compartment next to generator. All fuses are good. I'm convinced there are more fuse boxes somewhere.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:30 PM   #8

I had a georgie boy and it did not have a transfer switch for the genny. You had to plug the shore power cord into an outlet to get power from the genny.

Regarding the fridge try to clean out the bottom of the flue with a vacuum or air compressor. It gets a lot of crud built up in there and won't light.
wildirishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 07:44 PM   #9

electrical problem

Check you may have a gfi that has tripped
bakerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:07 PM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have not said what fridge you have but most have a 12v fuse on its control board plus another one for the ac elements.
If you have a transfer switch and you have had some lightning problems in area the circuit board for it could have been fried. You need a surge protector.
You really need a volt/ ohm meter to check things out.
Here is a Tech link to cover some of your problems.
In this link you will find info for all your appliances.
And yes welcome to irv2.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2014, 08:09 PM   #11

It's a Norcold 1200

Tags
georgie boy, need help