Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-26-2019, 10:54 AM   #1

Need Help Deciding How to Move into a RV

So I am going through a divorce and am having to sell my house. Due to my job in federal law enforcement and the frequency that I move I have been looking at just buying a RV and living in it. The problem is that I have my retired German Shepherd and one other German Shepherd. I know they would be fine in a 29 foot RV with slide outs but the problem is a yard for them. I don't mind walking them but coming home at 4 in the morning makes it difficult to go for a walk through the park. I have been researching ways to live with two big dogs in a RV but everything I am finding is how to travel with them. I have thought about buying a small piece of land and parking on it but then I have to have facilities installed. Other ideas may be a coworker with land and pay him for the spot. Any ideas?

My reasons for living in a RV are being able to be ready to move at anytime and I want to seriously downsize. I am tired of "junk" and I like living in small places. I also live 15 hours from my family and would like to have a place for me and my dogs when I visit.
enkidu25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-26-2019, 11:07 AM   #2

Job requires frequent relocating then buying land isn't going to work or setting up on friends land.....unless you commute a lot.
Then you have to check that local laws/restrictions/zoning allows for RV living on site.

Long term in a CG is doable except your dogs....German Shepherds are on the dreaded Insurance Aggressive Breed List which can limit your choices of CGs.
Not all but many do ban certain breeds based on their Insurance Restrictions.

As a pet owner YOU have to be responsible camper......means on a leash when outside, picking up after them and for them to NOT be 'barkers' when you are gone.

Didn't having a house cause issues with your frequent relocating job?

Best of luck.....RVng can work but is NOT a solution for all situations
Old-Biscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:27 AM   #3

Having a house was a problem. Having to buy something, since people don't like to owners of big dogs, and then taking a loss overtime you move. Plus having to deal with loading up household items and moving. A Rv seemed to be a good solution since there is no packing or searching for a home.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:28 AM   #4

One other comment here, not all campgrounds are created equal when it comes to pets, some don't allow pets, others restrict dogs by breed and/or number. yet others are pet friendly, some allow you to erect temporary pet fences, though many don't, some even have fenced off leash dog runs.
Isaac-1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:30 AM   #5

The different geographic locations you may be required to relocate to would also need to be considered. Not all RVs are considered "4 season" capable....for extreme hot, or cold, environments. Even more of a challenge with animals that would probably need to be left alone for long periods of time while you are at work.
Old 01-26-2019, 11:33 AM   #6

Going through a divorce can be like dealing with a death in the family.

You need time to stabilize and heal up.

For some ?

It may be a choise between the dogs and an rv.

German Shepherds
Pit bulls
Dobermans

Are three of the ( No can ) have list.

If the campground allowed those breeds many would not be there.

Think of the neighborhoods in citys that have 80 percent pit bulls. ???

To stabalize and keep the dogs you may want to rent a house.

I wish you the best and our prayers are with you.
HJLowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 11:37 AM   #7

Been there, done the big "D" and lived in a 24' Class C for a couple of years. No big dog and I stayed in a county owned park/campground.

The dogs are a dilemma for a single guy with no yard. How long are you going to be working in that capacity? If temporary for a couple of years maybe a family member/friend can take the dogs until you have a permanent location?

Since these are work dogs..... Man, drug or bomb?
Old 01-26-2019, 11:57 AM   #8

One is my retired drug dog. The other is just a pet. They are both gentle as can be but I do understand the perception. I might be stuck just trying to rent a home. I'm due for a move soon and hopefully it will be my last. I might just bite the bullet and buy another house. Buying is never the hard part, it is the selling that I hate. I'm stuck owning two homes right now because my last one didn't sell. Ended up renting it out instead.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:29 PM   #9

Send a message via MSN to FatDog
I did that same thing. . . ... divorce, immediate move to another state sight unseen, my 3 dogs that I needed with me, and I also needed some flexibility with permanently setting roots

I considered RV since I had a big pickup and am RV savvy, but ended up renting a small home with yard instead. I immediatly looked for and found a couple dog walkers in my new location who could help me if I needed to work-travel for a few days here and there. It worked out perfectly. Dogs happy.

Fast forward a handful of years later and I bought a home a few miles down the road.

Me happy, dogs happy.
FatDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 12:41 PM   #10

I am thinking a house with a yard may be the best idea. Thanks for all of the help.
Old 01-26-2019, 12:58 PM   #11

If the dogs are good to leash walk hire a dog walker. A good dog Walker will come pick them up and exercise them. Then return them home. Best of luck! We have a 120 pound Male shepherd and understand your dilemma. Luckily, we have a daughter come stay and take care of ours.
Bahamaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 02:21 PM   #12

Maybe a toy hauler would work.....more room for them......B-10 Campground in Quartzsite, Arizona is pet friendly.....the managers daughter also is great with dogs....there's a pet area there, and a park a couple blocks away so that they can run....and the girl has walked mine...
Bob_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 03:37 PM   #13

You'll find that you can't leave dogs outside your RV when you're not there. So if you're working it will be very difficult with them being inside all the time while you're gone That's not fair to the dogs.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2019, 04:05 PM   #14

When I first started reading this I thought dog walker and toy hauler.
allenb12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help