Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-09-2012, 11:22 AM   #1

need help purging propane line

coach has been in storage 5-6 months. getting it ready to go out for xmas
trip, can't light anything on prpane.It was working fine when I put in barn.
Hope some one can help thanks

dsilva

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2

Alpine Owners Club
Assuming you turned off the propane at the tank and it leaked out of the lines over the storage period that's pretty much what happens to both of my rigs over winter. Turn on the propane, turn on the stove burners and hold a BBQ lighter to the burner 'till you start to get flame. Once one burner is lit turn on the other one(s) and let them run.

After the stove lights move to other appliances and light them. Ref/WH/furnace may take a few tries and may go into lockout/error modes and require reset. Never had to do more than one reset if stove is lit and run first.

If you left the tank on all winter check to see if anything is in it. You may have had a leak.

'05 Lance 845/'06 F-250 or '99 Alpine 36SDS Usually towing an '01 Wrangler locked on 35"s or moderate '98 Cherokee on 33"s (rear locker only)
daveshan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2012, 03:18 PM   #3

need help purging gas line

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post
Assuming you turned off the propane at the tank and it leaked out of the lines over the storage period that's pretty much what happens to both of my rigs over winter. Turn on the propane, turn on the stove burners and hold a BBQ lighter to the burner 'till you start to get flame. Once one burner is lit turn on the other one(s) and let them run.

After the stove lights move to other appliances and light them. Ref/WH/furnace may take a few tries and may go into lockout/error modes and require reset. Never had to do more than one reset if stove is lit and run first.

If you left the tank on all winter check to see if anything is in it. You may have had a leak.
Thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #4

thanks
Old 12-09-2012, 03:26 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by daveshan View Post

X2, works for me every time
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2012, 09:54 AM   #6

x3 on the stove & BBQ routine. Once I get the stove lit all the other gas powered appliances work. Also, check to see if the propane detector inside the rv is on and functioning.
Old 12-10-2012, 02:08 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I will give a bit more complex.. IF it's just air in the lines (Which by the way is not possible) the above instructions are good. Air in the lines is only possible when the rig is sticker in the window new or following major work on the propane system.

Back to topic.

Start with the tank valve Open or closed? If open close it, go get some coffee (kill time) and then SLOWLY open it.. If you hear a hiss. stop, when wait till it stopps hissing and continue to open SLOWLY, continue this procedure till fully open.

NExt is there an electrical solenoid nearby? If so is the Propane Detector (Actually an explosive gas detector) on or off? IF on are the batteries on or off and are they charged.

Simple test. hold something which has the following charastericts near the solenoid coil.

Attracted by magnets (most table knives work

Flat (likewise if held flatwise)

Does the magnet attract or not, if not you have an electrical issue.

If there is no solenoid.. Skip that part.

THEN follow the advice of others above.
Old 12-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by wa8yxm View Post
I will give a bit more complex.. IF it's just air in the lines (Which by the way is not possible) the above instructions are good. Air in the lines is only possible when the rig is sticker in the window new or following major work on the propane system.

Back to topic.

Start with the tank valve Open or closed? If open close it, go get some coffee (kill time) and then SLOWLY open it.. If you hear a hiss. stop, when wait till it stopps hissing and continue to open SLOWLY, continue this procedure till fully open.

NExt is there an electrical solenoid nearby? If so is the Propane Detector (Actually an explosive gas detector) on or off? IF on are the batteries on or off and are they charged.

Simple test. hold something which has the following charastericts near the solenoid coil.

Attracted by magnets (most table knives work

Flat (likewise if held flatwise)

Does the magnet attract or not, if not you have an electrical issue.

If there is no solenoid.. Skip that part.

THEN follow the advice of others above.
wa8yxm, thanks it had to do with the gas sniffer not being turned on!! Again thanks for ur post
dsilva
Old 12-11-2012, 01:23 PM   #9

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Given your description of the problem I was very nearly convinced that was it... But .. Well "Very nearly" is not "Convinced" .. Glad you found it, Glad I could be of help. If you have not already done so please click the "THANKS" botton at the bottom of my post.
Old 12-12-2012, 08:37 AM   #10

again thanks dave

Tags
propane