Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 03:46 PM   #1

Need help replacing spring on Carefree of Colorado topper

A neighbour had the spring break on his slide out topper and we are having difficulty removing the nylon end cap to get to the old spring. We drilled out the two pop rivets but the thing doesn't want to come out. Any one with experience on repairing one of these or maybe pointing us to a video is welcomed.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-18-2015, 04:08 PM   #2

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
As you did not mention the model of the slide out topper, I cannot give you detailed instructions.
I can give you the link to Colorado's service manuals and you can pick the one you need.
Product Library - Carefree of Colorado

Good luck and be careful I got wrapped by one of the springs. Usually what happens is the spring itself does not brake but because it is pressed on it slips and spins. On one spring I drilled it and put a pin through the end. Yppk care of dat.
Dave

Old 01-18-2015, 06:11 PM   #3

Thanks Dave, but I have already tried that link. I don't have a model number for it but I know its on a 2001 Monaco DP. I looked through all I could find and didn't see anything that looked like what we have. I was sure that when we drilled out the rivets it would pull right out, but that appears not to be the case. Maybe when the spring broke it bound up inside and is not letting us pull it out. I figured there are plenty of people here that have a lot of knowledge on this kind of repair that I would find the easy way to fix it. Maybe someone else will come along with an idea.

I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left
powderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 06:26 PM   #4

Check out utube videos. I think I remember seeing at least one. I seem to remember the guy said, after unwinding the springs to cut the old fabric near the attachment railing on the side of the MH to make rope bead removal easier.
Sorry for being so vague, but that's all recall.
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 06:30 AM   #5

If It is a Care Free and and was installed new on the R/V then is should have metal end caps.
The spring assembly is rather small, so no way can it bind in the tube. It does not hook to the end caps either. It is mounted to the tube itself. All the end cap does is cover the end of the spring tube assembly. More than likely the end cap is being held on by a burr left by drilling for the pop rivets. You might have to wack it a couple of times.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:22 PM   #6

Thanks all. After not being able to remove the end cap, he decided to take it to a local rv repair shop. Not sure how they got it off, but the total damages was $69 for the spring and $20 labor so it must have been easy.
Old 01-24-2015, 06:38 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by powderman View Post
Thanks all. After not being able to remove the end cap, he decided to take it to a local rv repair shop. Not sure how they got it off, but the total damages was $69 for the spring and $20 labor so it must have been easy.
I all reality it is easy. It's like the first time, your not sure what is going to happen.
They charged him a fair price for the spring and the job.

Tags
colorado, need help