Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-03-2013, 04:32 PM   #1

Tiffin Owners Club
Need Help to Remove Panel

Can anyone tell me how hard it would be to remove the tan padded panel above the driver's seat in this picture? I am not happy with my Firestik NGP CB antenna on the rear ladder, and would much rather have it side mounted somewhere outside the cockpit area. What I want most is to mount it with the Firestik M-2 mount, but I don't know of anywhere along the front side area thin enough to accomodate the M-2. So my thinking is that I will just drive two bolts through the sidewall, use the L-bracket of a mirror mount, and run a third hole for the antenna coax, all to be hidden on the inside behind this panel. The two "buttons" are snaps that are hiding two screws, but I just can't fathom two small screws holding all of that panel in place. CB/radio/audio/video wiring is something that I have been doing as a hobby for about 40 years, but I don't have a lick of carpentry skills. (PS: I didn't think this was a "Tech" issue since I am trying to figure out how to remove inside paneling).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cockpit.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	404.1 KB
ID:	36235  

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:09 PM   #2

Workhorse Chassis Owner
I have the same style panels in mine but there are four screws/caps on each panel.
Winnebago does a pretty good job of mounting stuff so maybe there is Velcro or something on the back side to help support it. If you don't get an answer here I would call Winnebago customer service.

Old 04-04-2013, 03:17 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Usually there are cleats on the backside of panel at the ceiling that are screwed to the ceiling. You may also have to remove the curtain track and a panel it is mounted to to gain access to these cleats. Good luck and keep us posted.
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:14 AM   #4

It is hard to tell from the pic, are you sure the panal does not run behind the end of the cabinets.?
Old 04-04-2013, 09:26 AM   #5

Workhorse Chassis Owner
On mine they also look like they run behind the cabinets but they don't.
The curtain track runs just below the panel on mine. Or did until I removed it when we had the MCD shades installed.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 AM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I thank all for the help. I think I've read enough to get my confidence to the level where I will be giving it a shot. I think once I have this project under my belt, and maybe a couple others, I will have gained the confidence to really start looking INTO things. Thanks again to all!
Old 04-06-2013, 01:43 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
I don't like starting threads without giving resolution for those who have helped, and those who may be searching. With that said, I'm sorry to say that I chickened out. I pulled the two screws in the picture, and the panel still would not budge. Maybe the screws in the light fixture are helping the holding, the screws in the curtain track are helping the holding, or there's a little more to it. It's just that after removing the screws and getting the feeling that I had not done anything, I would rather leave this to someone else while I watch just to see what I'm up against for any future projects. So I think I'm going to either find a dealer with a tech interested in after hours work, or put an ad on something like Craigslist. I probably can do it, but the fear of the unknown is overriding at this point. As mentioned, I'll probably feel even more confident after watching someone else do it, or I'll just leave the antenna on the ladder. Thanks again to all.
Old 04-06-2013, 01:46 PM   #8

Sounds like a plan. NEXT !
Old 04-07-2013, 04:43 AM   #9
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
If you are ever down my way and I have time, I would show you all the trade secrets. You might nickname me Duke (Bushes baked beans)!
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 01:10 PM   #10

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RV Wizard View Post
If you are ever down my way and I have time, I would show you all the trade secrets. You might nickname me Duke (Bushes baked beans)!
Thanks Mike, much appreciated! Now I have to come up with a justification for the DW why I want to drive from southern MD to Tenn for a day. Kinda like the private pilots who like to go out for the $500 hamburger.

Seriously though, thanks again.
Old 04-13-2013, 05:32 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
The A pillar cover conceals the roof FM antenna. I installed a XM antenna on the top of the front cap and fed the wire to the A pillar channel and down below the dash. Not sure if this route would be an option for you.?
Old 04-13-2013, 05:57 PM   #12
RKL

Remove the left end inside the overhead storage cabinet. Once removed you are looking at the sidewall and the roof where winne mounts their antenna.you have to stand on the driver seat to do the work..rkl
Old 04-13-2013, 07:29 PM   #13

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RKL View Post
Remove the left end inside the overhead storage cabinet. Once removed you are looking at the sidewall and the roof where winne mounts their antenna.you have to stand on the driver seat to do the work..rkl
What makes you think you know me well enough to call me shorty ? Seriously, at 5'5", I've sometimes stood on the seat just to go in the overheads for stored items. Thanks for the tip, I did take a look in that area back when I first posted. There is a metal plate against the wall that gives access to the area near the top of the A-pillar, but after removing the 4 screws and looking in there, I don't think that would work for me, it's a very small area for what I want to do. I know what the problem is as I've said before... it's all me and fear since I have never done RV surgery before. I put my Fan/Mate on last week, but that wasn't a problem because I didn't have to take anything apart to install it. Knowing how I do things, I'll probably look at that area another fifty times, and go a little further at taking things apart each time. I still really want the CB antenna at that location, but it's still on the rear ladder for now. Thanks again to all...
Old 04-13-2013, 07:42 PM   #14
RKL

I would saw out the end of that cabinet with a dremel tool . To close it up after working there i would use velcro. No one but you will ever know and you can easily access it for adjustments.just enlarge the space next to the metal plate. The plate hole must have been made for access to something in the area...rkl