Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #1

We presently have Direct TV, but are thinking about getting the Dish Network. We have King Dome with in motion. Can any of you who travel give us your opinion on either or both of these services....as each one tells us that they have the best.
Thank You,
Richard and Linda Brackett

2003 37' GulfStream Sun Voyager Trio with Workhorse 8.1 Chassis with 22.5" wheels
Mr. Brackett - Mrs. Brackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2005, 07:13 PM   #2

We presently have Direct TV, but are thinking about getting the Dish Network. We have King Dome with in motion. Can any of you who travel give us your opinion on either or both of these services....as each one tells us that they have the best.
Thank You,
Richard and Linda Brackett

2003 37' GulfStream Sun Voyager Trio with Workhorse 8.1 Chassis with 22.5" wheels
Old 02-24-2005, 09:02 PM   #3

Richard
Stick with the DTV. I had Dish, and finally got rid of it for two main reasons. The DTV equipment was better and more advanced, and trying to use it in the MH was a pain. The problem is that Dish uses 2 satellites, and there is no way that a roof mounted dish can switch between the two easily or quickly. To do so requires re-aiming the dish at the new sat, and rebooting the receiver. A dual LNB dish won't work because the angle (called the skew) that must be set in order to electronically switch between the 2 sats is impossible to acheive with a rooftop dish. The skew angle varies from location to location, and the dish has to be perfectly plumb. To set the skew, you would have to climb on the roof every time you changed locations, and I'd rather not see you do that.
Hope this answers your question, and we'll see you in a few weeks.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 05:15 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I have both. Both work well.

The post of dish needeing two dif. birds is correct if you want network (ABC, NBC, FOX etc)feeds from anywhere other than the East coast or West coast. They feed from the same bird as the other programming. If you do like I do and get network feeds from New York, it only needs one bird locked in. I have a dual LNB dish, so I have two recievers hooked up to two diff. TV's.

Direct works fine as well. But they are a little more of a pain in the rear to get newtork stuff that will work all over the place.

I am still fighting with them on the Network stuff for some of the rental/lease rigs. They did turn on the "Local Channels" (Baton Rouge) feature. But that ain't worth spit in a RV. They only work within a certain distance from your home. Works fine here at the shop. But if a rig is taken say to Biloxi, MS no networks. In other words, useless for us.....

My vote is for Dish. If you have any problems, I have a friend (RV'r who helps me often with Dish stuff) in Oklahoma City that I refer folks to often. I have not heard any of my referrals have anything to say other than praise for his work/services.
Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
North Central Texas Area Leader

Thor Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Both replies are correct.

If you are not interested in gettting local channels, which are now sent by spot beam technology by both DTV and DISH, then either will work equally as well. Your already installed satellite will pick up both depending on where it is aimed. Of course, you will have to have either a DTV or DISH receiver. While DISH has 2 satellites, (119W and 110W, you will only have to align your antenna with 119W to receive virtually the same programming that you would receive on DTV. The 110W bird is for spot beaming local channels and a few Pay For View channells. If you elect to go with DISH, a standard programming package plus East and West coast networks (ABC, NBC, CBS, and FOX) you would not have to align with the 110W satellite. Only the 119W.

Keep in mind that the programming package you select with either service will determine how many channels you will get - the more you pay each month, the more channels that will be available to you (most of them worthless in my estimation).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-25-2005, 07:05 AM   #6

Don
How does your friend get around the problem of not being able to recieve 110 and 119 birds without repositioning the dish? It's not possible. It's a pain. That's the main reason I got away from Dish. It's just not the local feeds that are on 110, and it's getting so more programming is being put on it. I got tired of having to keep 2 differnt favorites lists (119 $ 110) and having to move the dish and reboot just to see what programs were on either one. My new rig came with a DTV receiver, and the programming, price and equipment is much better than Dish, IMO. The final thing that set me off with Dish was when I called to cancel, and it took me 25 minutes and 3 people to do so - everyone wanted to try to talk me out of cancelling the service. I finally had to speak with a supervisor's supervisor to get the thing cancelled.
The only other reason that I have not to switch is the fact that the Dish birds are lower than DTV. I now get sat reception in areas that I could not with Dish because of this .
Also, if you shoose the Top 150 package, there are more than Pay per view channels on the 110 - I had several that I watched on a regular basis that were on 110. I never used PPV.

2005 Revolution LE 40E
Steve Val is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 01:51 PM   #7

Freightliner Owners Club
I have the Winegard automatic sattelite dish and it receives 110 and 119 quite easily. Just change the channel and it switches automatically. Dish is fine by me. Keith

2004 Kountry Star 3706 DP/330 CAT
Bassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 08:17 PM   #8

A big thanks to all of you who wrote concerning my dish delima. I'm not sure what you meant by 110 and 119. I think I said I have an in motion King Dome, so don't know just how you would make those changes.....Steve, you said something about going up on the roof....
I guess I finally made the decision to stay with DTV, but still would like more infor on those two numbers.
Thanks So Very Much,
Richard

Old 02-25-2005, 08:57 PM   #9
Moderator in Memoriam

Monaco Owners Club
The Numbers are the satellite numbers, they are only a few degrees apart on the compass. As stated looks like some aim systems can find both.
Old 02-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
My 2 cents worth. I have had both and I will stick with dish, why DTV will not give us sevice without a land line. We full time, no land line. The issues got to be to much for me and we went to dish. We have the auto sat and it works great.
jphansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2005, 10:58 AM   #11

We have had no problem getting DirecTV with no land line. They disable the PPV order from the remote capability, but other than that, no problems.
Ken Lenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2005, 10:42 AM   #12

No problems with DirecTV/KingDome Auto stationary dish. No landline needed except to purchase PPV stuff. For $6 a month(2nd home box rental) I'm staying with DTV...

2005 Itasca Sunova 30B/Workhorse
Robert & Kiki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 08:02 AM   #13

We too had the same problem as Steve. Dish kept locking on to the wrong satellite. Haven't had that problem since switchjing to Direct.

Another question: Do any of you get internet service through the satellite? Is it expensive? How do we get it? Can you get online and stay on line easily? quickly?
Old 03-11-2005, 11:22 AM   #14

Ihave dish, had for years, I fulltime, I get both satalites on my 500 antenna without having to move it. I have no land line . I HAD direct, no thanks.