Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2012, 06:52 AM   #1
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Need Help with Distribution Center

I have been having problems with my Winegard Audio Video Distribution Center and am looking at a replacement. I have found a Quest model but would like to know what others have done in this case.

Any thoughts? Comments?
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Anybody have some info?
Old 06-04-2012, 09:09 PM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Looks like Winegard doesn't make those any more. Here's a website that has what looks like a pretty similar replacement. I don't know a lot about them, but they seem to be mostly just a switching device. Some have a built in amplifier. Berryland's models don't seem to have an amplifier, but I would imagine it would be easy to add one in, since the amplifier is only going to be used for pulling in weaker over the air broadcasts.

Video Control Center :: CD, DVD & VHS Players :: RV Electronics :: RV Parts Store

Hope this is a little help.
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 05:36 AM   #4

What kind of problem?
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 07:01 AM   #5
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Here is the replacement one I found. It's a Quest QS53D and is a 5 to 3 model that replaces the Wineguard. This one is set up for a DVD loop.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...d=861104408018

What I'm experiencing with my current Winegard is a few things. When watching DVD Blu-ray player on the front TV only, without the switcher on, the sound will go muffled. I would be watching my movie with direct HDMI connection from DVD to LED TV. I have to turn the power on to the switch and then turn it off. It also changes my connection on my TV to only "TV" from "HDMI". Sometimes when trying to watch same movie on rear TV, the signal is fuzzy. I replaced my cables and my Blu-ray player at the front so know it's not the connections up there.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:24 PM   #6

First, I assume that you have the same Winegard transfer box as I do. The transfer switch box should have nothing to do with you watching a DVD via HDMI cable. That should be a input selection made from the TV setting. Have you tried unhooking the cable to the front TV from the back of the Winegard switch box to see if anything changes?

When I was having some trouble I was told these boxes have no history of going bad. I found out my problem was I was running the input from the DirecTV antenna to the switch box rather than the DirecTV satellite box.

The power switch is only to be used to "boost" the over the air antenna. All other times it should be turned off.
Geezer80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 06:54 PM   #7
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyringo View Post
First, I assume that you have the same Winegard transfer box as I do. The transfer switch box should have nothing to do with you watching a DVD via HDMI cable. That should be a input selection made from the TV setting. Have you tried unhooking the cable to the front TV from the back of the Winegard switch box to see if anything changes?

When I was having some trouble I was told these boxes have no history of going bad. I found out my problem was I was running the input from the DirecTV antenna to the switch box rather than the DirecTV satellite box.

The power switch is only to be used to "boost" the over the air antenna. All other times it should be turned off.
What you mention regarding the cable might make some sense. If I am sending the signal from the DVD player via HDMI to the TV and sending the signal from the DVD via component cable to the Distribution box and then cable from the Distribution box to the TV, may be the cause of the whole issue I'm having. Two types of signal coming to the tv from two sources.
Old 06-06-2012, 10:17 AM   #8

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
There is one thing I will mention. I DO NOT KNOW IF THIS WILL BE A PROBLEM (Disclaimer required) but if it is I mention it because.. Well, there are two solutions.

The winegard switch is not just a switch, Depeding on the model it is 2 or 3 things.

1 Switch (you can see that clearly)
2: 12 volt power supply for the mast head amplifier built into the antenna, This is very important and IS the problem I mention.
3: Optional (And there is a solution here too) RF Modulator for use with DVD player on TV-2,3, and so on.

Now, if the new switch does not put 12 volts on the antenna coax the ampifier in the rooftop antenna will not work, in fact it will attunate the signal instead. This is not (normally) good. So how do we fix it. (Two or 3 ways)

First: Winegard makes a device which I call a power inserter, not sure what they call it, it looks a bit like a signal splitter, about the size of an ice cube, but instead of 3 Coax connectors it has two of them (one marked ANT) and 12 volt leads. Just put it between your switch (ANT connector towards the antenna) and feed it 12 volts.

Second and third is the Sensar Pro device, very handy for aiming the antenna it is a variable amplifier as well (A 2nd pre-amp) and really does improve reception, not as much as I'd like but it works. (IT took me from zero to one solid sataion where I'm parked and .. Well, That's good enough to make me very happy).

Like the inserter, you put it between the Antenna and the switch... OPTIONAL...

If your TV has seperated ATSC and other inputs, or if like my you are using digital ATSC to Analog NTSC converters.. I ran the extra coaxes, the Sensar Pro's two outputs go direct to the converters, which then feed Digital Video Recorders on line-1 IN.

When I'm in a park with free cable,, that goes to the DVR's on "RF in" (Antenna connection) so they will choose input per their program, Lets me record Tier 1 stations off cable, Tier 2 (Which are not often on cable) off the air. Tier 2 often has the best program (What is tier 1 and tier 2,, The tier is the number after the dash, as in 7-1 or 7-2, which are tier 1 and 2 respectively) .

I'm very happy with this lashup. but then I should be, I designed it to make me happy .