Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-30-2017, 05:32 PM   #1

Need help with my propane BBQ line Plz

The pipe is already run from the tank on the street side to a bay on the curb side.

I have a couple questions:
I purchased a 25ft hose https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER
and a quick connect kit for the BBQ end https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

1) Looking at the pipe and the 1/4 male NPT connector on the hose - should I put a quick connect at the pipe or "hard wire" the hose into the pipe. What size adapter would you think I need to tie into the pipe? I haven't measured the pipe but it looks to be 1" OD.

2) If I put a quick connect at the pipe, is it a pain to purge the air each time I connect to the BBQ or not a big deal?

3) If I connect the hose directly to the pipe, I can leave the shut off valve on the pipe open and close it at the hose end - now no purging, correct?

4) Would it be wise to put a splitter at the pipe so I can run two hoses?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
RKins is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-30-2017, 05:52 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Something you need to check is where is that black pipe connected at the LP tank? Before or after the regulator? What is the pressure at the black pipe? Is the BBQ grill one with a regulator? What are it's pressure needs?

Purging the air from the line only takes a minute or so, a flame ignitor would be safer than a spark ignitor to burn off the gas/air mixture until it stabilizes to a steady rate with air out of the line.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Is that ball valve rated for gas? I have a 10 foot whip with a propane screw fitting on each end that uses a knurled nut, no tools. A male fitting at the RV end and a female at the BBQ end (where you normally put the 1 pound throw away LP tank). When done, I roll the hose and connect male to female. That tends to keep the gas in the hose as the connections are self valved. No valves to turn off, just remove the hose and screw on the female dust cap. Whips are available at any LP or camping store. I run min to a little Weber Q120 grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...V+propane+hose
CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 03:25 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
Something you need to check is where is that black pipe connected at the LP tank? Before or after the regulator? What is the pressure at the black pipe? Is the BBQ grill one with a regulator? What are it's pressure needs?

Purging the air from the line only takes a minute or so, a flame ignitor would be safer than a spark ignitor to burn off the gas/air mixture until it stabilizes to a steady rate with air out of the line.
I forgot to mention the pipe is tapped into the low pressure side. The BBQ does have a regulator that can be removed.
Thanks.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-01-2017, 03:28 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CJ7ole View Post
Is that ball valve rated for gas? I have a 10 foot whip with a propane screw fitting on each end that uses a knurled nut, no tools. A male fitting at the RV end and a female at the BBQ end (where you normally put the 1 pound throw away LP tank). When done, I roll the hose and connect male to female. That tends to keep the gas in the hose as the connections are self valved. No valves to turn off, just remove the hose and screw on the female dust cap. Whips are available at any LP or camping store. I run min to a little Weber Q120 grill.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-Pro...V+propane+hose
Yes it's rated for gas. I don't think I need a whip since I just bought the 25ft hose.
Thanks.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:16 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
I use quick disconnect at the pipe and at the grill. Piece of cake
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 11:35 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim28730 View Post
I use quick disconnect at the pipe and at the grill. Piece of cake
Sounds good. I've read of pressure loss through the quick disconnect - any loss that you notice? Any problem burning off the air mix? How do you do this?
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-02-2017, 11:42 AM   #8

Newmar Owners Club
I have never experienced a pressure loss using quick disconnects. The air bleed takes seconds and is not really noticeable.
Jim28730 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #9

Thanks Jim. I received the hose and the quick connect today. Might need to order another quick connect set. I am thinking I want to "Y" the pipe and have 2 hoses. Best to do this now.
'08 Jeep GC Overland.
Old 05-02-2017, 06:53 PM   #10

Personal opinion--I don't like the "quick-connect fittings" [the ones that look like air hose connections]. Probably ok for the low pressure side but I prefer a ball valve shut-off on the high pressure side to ensure complete shut-off--both belt and suspenders I guess.
New Braunfels, Texas
Old Scout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2017, 08:54 PM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Tiffin Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Scout View Post
Personal opinion--I don't like the "quick-connect fittings" [the ones that look like air hose connections]. Probably ok for the low pressure side but I prefer a ball valve shut-off on the high pressure side to ensure complete shut-off--both belt and suspenders I guess.
I have seen and plan to order the quick connect with the built in shutoff valve.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...A3RFCB56HIHPI8
jt
JT, Em & the boys, Kong & Baxter (rescued grey tabbies)
harleyjt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
need help, propane