Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-27-2013, 06:19 PM   #1
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Need high wind driving tips, please.

I am driving thru western Kansas. When I was headed north driving was a breeze, but now that I'm headed west all I do is fight to stay on the road.

Other than stopping completely and slowing down are there any tips or tricks for driving in high cross winds?

Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #2
Tiffin Owners Club
One suggestion is be aware of who's around you. Slowing down might help too had dome high wind in New Mexico last year. Hang on and watch others.

Jack & Kay
2015 Allegro 32CA Ford Chassis
FMCA #341229
JacknKay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:28 PM   #3
Appalachian Campers
We have gotten into really bad wind situations a couple years in the spring in Montana. I don't know if there is anything you can do when it happens except slow down - watch the trucks. I figured out that the warming air in the valley was rising about 10 AM and when that started, the colder air was coming down the mountain sides and causing some pretty severe cross winds. The second day we hit the road pretty early and were nearly out of the mountain area by the time the winds got strong enough to bother us.
As far as head winds and following winds - no idea. I do know I can get pretty good mileage with following winds, but usually they are head winds and the mileage sucks eggs.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #4
What I have observed is that in open spaces (mid-west and south west) where the wind is fairly constant in speed and direction, I can just use a constant force on the steering wheel to hold my line.

In hills, canyons, and on twisty roads where the wind speed and direction keep changing, it is quite a bit of work to keep on track. It reminds me of high winds at low altitudes in a small plane.

I look at wind forecasts before leaving, and many times in the southwest I have put off travel for a day or two. Being retired, and on a loose schedule, I can do that. If you do not have that option, it's worth seeing if the winds at night are forecast to be lower and travel then.

When I see this, I stay put.
2008 Itasca Meridian 37H & 2015 Flagstaff T12RBST
2011 & 2012 Len & Pat's "One lap of America"
27K miles & 41 states in 13 months - Woo Woo
Yellowstone Lake 6-1-2012
bluepill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 07:17 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Just slow down, hold the wheel tight, and pray. You might also check that tires are properly inflated for weights, under-inflated tires can make it worse.

You could also park all day and only drive at night, winds usually go down at night -- except during a full moon. I used to always go sailing on the night of a full moon.

I'm sure you've seen the huge windmill farms in W. Kansas, those huge propellers are creating all that wind your fighting!

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 08:52 PM   #6
We thought we were going to roll over today in Oklahoma. Very bad crosswind. Wind from the south , we were driving east. Very hard , not relaxing drive for my hubby, but he got us home safe!
Krashqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:10 PM   #7
Ford Super Duty Owner
Georgie Boy Owners Club
My new strategy is to park and wait until the wind goes down .I would rather drive in the dark than in wind . Two weeks ago I had to climb up there and roll in my topper awning in a 35MPH wind . That was to scary .Now I know why they call them land yachts ,
1999 Georgie Boy Landau 3512 on Ford F53
2006 Mazda Tribute ,2001 Goldwing
Excell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 09:42 PM   #8
Winnebago Owners Club
Put extra straps on your awnings to keep from unfurling.
Bob & Kathy
2016 Itasca Navion 24V
BPOE #2504
Bobs911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 PM   #9

Entegra Owners Club

Where'd you obtain that snazzy wind warning graphic?
Dave & Debbie
2014 Anthem 44B
2012 Jeep Rubicon toad
hogdriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 05:47 AM   #10
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I checked the weather forecast and talked to some local folks. To wait out the wind would require establishing residency. It is calmer this am and I was going to leave but I left my lights on last night and now my chassis battery is dead and the auxiliary start isn't working for some reason. I do believe the wind gods are conspiring against me. Now I get to use my towing insurance.

Thanks for the tips!
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:16 AM   #11
If you are already driving in cross-winds, you have learned that going through an underpass eliminates the cross wind just long enough for the steering correction you were using to cause you to move sideways. If the wind is really strong, and the steering correction is significant, this can be pretty exiting when you drive under the bridge so you really need to stay alert.

Some years ago, on I-70 passing through Eastern Kansas, there was an airport style windsock in the median to illustrate the wind direction. The windsock is gone, but the winds can still be there...

Originally Posted by okmunky View Post
...Other than stopping completely and slowing down are there any tips or tricks for driving in high cross winds?
George Schweikle Lexington, KY
1999 Safari TREK 2830, FMCA 190830, Safari International chapter
1995 Safari TREK 2630, 1983 Winnebago Chieftain, 1976 Midas Mini
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:48 AM   #12
Senior Dude

Forest River Owners Club
In April, I was driving our new to us coach from Arizona back to BC. Just between Boise Idaho and Mountain Home, I encountered severe cross winds and caught one that unfurled my main awning. I limped into Mountain Home and luckily, the awning wasn't damaged and I was able to extend it and return it in tact. I bought some zip ties and put them at the top of my awning arms. I noticed a few RV's pass me while I was pulled over and they were all driving slow with their 4-ways on.

The next day going through the flat basin by Pendleton Oregon, I got hit by cross winds from opposing direction and took out my slide awning. That one I didn't come out unscathed and bent my slide awning arm. Good thing I still had the zip ties from the previous day to tie up everything till I got home. They actually have electronic warning signs for high wind just outside Pendleton. I got off the freeway and took some inner secondary roads that had a slower mph rate.

My tips?

Stay put till you if you have the luxury of time.
If you must travel, do a pre-check to ensure ALL awning locks are in place.
Put an awning lock on your large main awning.
Drive slow with with your 4-way flashers on till you are through the windy area.
Les (RVM12), Bonnie, Morgan and 4 leggers Bella & Bruce
2010 Forest River Cardinal 3450RL 40' Full Body Paint- 2015 Ram 3500 Laramie 6.7 ltr Turbo Diesel, 68RFE Trans. 4x4 SRW SB Pullrite 2900 18K FMCA-420438 Good Sam
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
Winnebago Owners Club
Back when I was driving my 18 wheeler with two trailers, I found that looking in the mirrors and seeing the wheels on the back trailer off the ground on one side was disturbing. The answer was to "not" look in the mirrors! A decision that may not have helped to keep the wheels on the ground but one that made it less noticeable!
In my boating days, I found that it was usually easier to dock the boat prior to 1PM or after 6pm. So, making it a shorter day or starting much earlier may help. There are times it is best to just not be out there!
Larry B, Luckiest Dreamer
Luckiest Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 09:27 AM   #14

Monaco Owners Club
If you can't drive in the weather conditions SAFELY and fully under control, get OFF the road, wait it out and continue on when the conditions are safe to do so.

Where does one have to be that they are willing to risk their lives and lives of others just to get there.

Many an airplane pilot have lost their lives and those of their passengers to that very same urgency.

Just my opinion.

Dr4Film ----- Richard

2002 Monaco Windsor PBT 40Ft. (R HOME) - 30Ft. 2006 Pace Trailer (R JUNK). Trailer Has 06 VUE (R TOWD) 04 Victory Alen Ness Edition (R RYDE). Full-Timer for 14 Yr's BUT now a Part-Timer. Cummins ISC-350 With Banks Power Pack and Upgraded PRXB PacBrake.
Winter Home in Flagler Beach FL - Now Staying in Dansville NY for the Summer.
Dr4Film is online now   Reply With Quote