Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #1
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Need ideas....

Okay, how many have been in the situation when there dog likes to hang out the window. Well, when I had the 2007 Saturn I didn't think it a big thing that her toe nails did a little scratch job on the plastic.

Well, the new Lincoln MKX is not plastic and I'm going to have to retrain her to not hang out the window, or just don't put it down for her.

OR--- I need ideas on how I can accommodate the 80 pound beast and someway protect the paint. Also needing protection for the window rest on the inside. I was thinking of taking one of those real thin cutting sheets, heating a wire and then bending a few inches near the end. Then slip it down into the channel.

Any ideas?

Here is one idea: Training with Muttlucks

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-29-2013, 04:42 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I would consider putting booties on the front paws of your dog. I have seen them made out of felt-fleece, all suede, and suede with rubber soles, with elastic and velcro straps to secure them. Ultra Paws Dog Boots, Dog Shoes, Boots for Dogs, Dog Booties, Durable, Rugged, Traction
https://www.dogbooties.com/
My dog wears booties in severe temperatures to protect her pads from burning or freezing temperature on the ground.

You could also make a long cushioned arm rest that slips between the glass window and door frame similar to those found at truck stops. 1# ★★★★★TRUCK CAR WINDOW-ARMREST-GREAT GIFT IDEA armrest covers ★,suv,hunting,hunter,deer,buck,armrests,chevy armrest cover,auto armrest,google car armrest

Oh yeah, don't forget to protect your dogs eyes with Doggles http://www.doggles.com/dog/eyewear

Old 06-29-2013, 05:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dogs are just like kids they can be trained but you have to work at it. Hire a trainer to show you how to teach the dog not to hang out the window so it won't ruin leather arm rests etc,etc????

While traveling put the dog in a crate until it learns how to behave.

This may sound harsh but I'd never adjust my life for an out of control dog or kid for that matter.

We are on our second dog and it adjusts to our life we don't adjust to it. We are not cruel or mean but one has to establish limits just with kids. Dogs give you great companionship but it should be on your terms not theirs.

JM2CW
TeJay
Old 06-29-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
Oh yeah, don't forget to protect your dogs eyes with Doggles - Doggles Online
OK, the "doggles" are hilarious. Did you notice the Doggles lens cleaner for $6?? HAHA

SarahW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 05:55 PM   #5
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Thanks DogDaddy for the links. I have been looking for the arm rest, not for the dog, but for myself. Just ordered two of them. I did look at dog booties, and that may be the way I go. I liked the funny video of the "bootie training."

TeJay,
I can't tell you how many dogs we have owned over the last 52 years of marriage. Everything from little lap dogs to big dogs like the present Husky. She is already trained and yes, I can train her to NOT jump up on the window/door edge. Not a problem at all. However, we get a big kick out of her hanging out the window with her forepaws outside, watching traffic go by us and the kids all hollering in the other cars of how pretty she is. Or driving down the beach highway - same thing.

If I can teach her how to read a map, I sure can teach her how not to get up on the car edge. (hee hee)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Decisions.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	76.9 KB
ID:	41491  
Old 06-29-2013, 06:25 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahW View Post
OK, the "doggles" are hilarious. Did you notice the Doggles lens cleaner for $6?? HAHA
Doggles work. They are like motorcycle goggles with an added chin strap. My motorcycle dog is okay with them.
For that price for lens cleaner, I expect/hope the cleaner prevents fogging and static electricity that attracts hair like my motorcycle lens cleaner does.
Old 06-29-2013, 06:33 PM   #7

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
My dog rides on my harley and is a member of the Biker Dogs Motorcycle Club. All members ride secured and those that ride on seats and tanks all wear harnesses with a lead to prevent falls off the bike. A doggie seat belt prevents dogs from reaching out a window, so I suggest harness on dogs that hang their heads out windows as some dogs may want to jump out after a cat or another dog. Safety is important to prevent accidental road kill of your pet.
Old 06-30-2013, 08:47 AM   #8

Vintage RV Owners Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Dogs are just like kids they can be trained but you have to work at it. Hire a trainer to show you how to teach the dog not to hang out the window so it won't ruin leather arm rests etc,etc????

This may sound harsh but I'd never adjust my life for an out of control dog or kid for that matter.

We are on our second dog and it adjusts to our life we don't adjust to it. We are not cruel or mean but one has to establish limits just with kids. Dogs give you great companionship but it should be on your terms not theirs.

JM2CW
TeJay
X 2 We have 2 doggies, 1 lays on my partners lap in both cars and the other ones likes the back seat in the 4 door but in the convertible she sits on the front arm rest with a leash on. She taught herself.
spritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:01 AM   #9

I personally would use a crate or seat belt, but if you want him to be able to ride with "the wind in his hair" try using Soft Claws Nail Caps. Dog Scratching Solutions, Nail Caps for Dogs You can find them available on many websites.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:25 PM   #10
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Ah! I found the precious picture.

We were in the Badlands when this was taken.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9042.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	163.4 KB
ID:	41591  
Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne M
Ah! I found the precious picture.

We were in the Badlands when this was taken.
Ok Wayne - that face sort take the Bad out of The Badlands if you ask me. From now own guess I'll just refer to them as The Lands.
She's a bute - and right cute too.
flaggship1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 11:21 PM   #12

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post

JM2CW
TeJay
OK, how do I train the wife not to spoil the cat? Never mind, it's way too late.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 10:11 AM   #13
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaggship1 View Post
Ok Wayne - that face sort take the Bad out of The Badlands if you ask me. From now own guess I'll just refer to them as The Lands.
She's a bute - and right cute too.
I've been off the forum most of the time in the past few days, but this does deserve a reply.

Steve,

All i can say is, she's good looking like her daddy.