Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-17-2019, 09:08 AM   #1

Need mechanical Help. Mammoth Cave KY

I have some bad sounding noise coming from my front end of my 2003 Dutchstar. Had the wheel bearings checked at a garage on the road. They checked out good. Anyway, I would like to find a reputable mechanic in the area. If you have any suggestions of a good garage please help. If you of a horrible garage let me know through a PM. THanks
rvethereyet is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-17-2019, 10:02 AM   #2

The best I can do to help. Good Luck
https://www.mechanicadvisor.com/rv-repair-shops
RV Repairs - Find Near Me
https://rvservicelink.com/
TajMahal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 12:24 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvethereyet View Post
I have some bad sounding noise coming from my front end of my 2003 Dutchstar. Had the wheel bearings checked at a garage on the road. They checked out good. Anyway, I would like to find a reputable mechanic in the area. If you have any suggestions of a good garage please help. If you of a horrible garage let me know through a PM. THanks
Possibly a clutch fan? With the engine off grab one of the blades and pull/ push in and out. It should be tight no movement.
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2019, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by carl.swoyer View Post
Possibly a clutch fan? With the engine off grab one of the blades and pull/ push in and out. It should be tight no movement.
Glad you mentioned that first. Did you perhaps create safety warnings for consumers in your previous job?
Old 07-17-2019, 04:21 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Perhaps this website will help you locate one: RV Repairs - Find Near Me

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-17-2019, 05:02 PM   #6

If you think it is a engine / chassis noise and medium to large truck shop can look at it. Don't limit yourself to RV shops.
Old 07-18-2019, 07:33 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
Glad you mentioned that first. Did you perhaps create safety warnings for consumers in your previous job?
I guess your supposed to be funny. Do you have any constructive input? Lol
Old 07-18-2019, 07:34 AM   #8

Thanks for the help guys. Got an appointment in the morning
Old 07-18-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Let us know how things work out tomorrow as we all become wiser through our combined needs being met.

Drive safe - Richard
Old 07-19-2019, 09:07 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrtribble View Post
Let us know how things work out tomorrow as we all become wiser through our combined needs being met.

Drive safe - Richard
Ok got it in the shop. Good news bad news, bad news. Good news is they found the problem in less than 5 minutes. Bad news is its the ball joints on both side. Other bad news is they cant fix it because they dont have a $4000 tool to do the job.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:14 AM   #11

Quote:
Ok got it in the shop. Good news bad news, bad news. Good news is they found the problem in less than 5 minutes. Bad news is its the ball joints on both side. Other bad news is they cant fix it because they dont have a $4000 tool to do the job.
Well now you can call around and ask a shop if they can do that specific job. Ball joints are a routine maintenance job. There will be plenty of shops in the area with the tools to do it.
Old 07-19-2019, 02:55 PM   #12

Quote:
I bet any Cummins Onan dealer could do it. Or even a tractor trailer repair shop.
Old 07-20-2019, 06:29 AM   #13

Since you stated the ball joints are bad I assume the coach has lower control arms and independent front suspension.
If so can you buy a complete lower control arm and have the shop install it?

I am doing this more now on my vehicle repairs as the cost to get old ball joints pressed out and new ball joints pressed in is getting high. This also replaces the pivot parts on the frame end of the control arm which might be showing wear.
leadman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2019, 06:58 AM   #14

Quote:
Did you find a shop?
I am assuming you have a Spartan chassis, if so try here https://rv.spartanmotors.com/service-locator/
looks like Lexington or Nashville are the closest certified shops.
Make sure you mention that its ball joints. The Wilder shop could not do mine but put me in touch with a company that could.
Edhildy is offline   Reply With Quote