Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 05-04-2012, 06:56 PM   #15

NEW v. USED: By the way, Iím considered a ďgrinderĒ by dealership car salesman when it comes to negotiating an automobile purchase. Usually an all-day caper if I canít wrap up a deal via the internet. However, this motorhome purchasing ordeal will be a new adventure for me.

Since it is difficult to obtain real ďdealer invoiceĒ figures, advertising costs, manufacturer incentives, or any type of holdback on motorhomes, Iíll be doing guesswork after nationwide internet research.

So far, I figure if I canít get between 25 to 30% off MSRP, Iíll be taking a walk.

Motorhomeless Clancy and Sue
Hopefully part-timing by Winter 2016
2013 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4
Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #16
Monaco Owners Club
I just traded in a nice 30' hurricane to DEmartini in Grass Valley with twin air, 50 amp service air bag suspension 2000 watt inverter. sounds like what your looking for. see it on line at Demartini rv. Super clean with custom paint.

tallen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 02:18 PM   #17
Thor Owners Club
We just bought a Hurricane 33g for 35% back of msrp. With 10-20% down the odds of you being upside down after 4 years are very slim. In my opinion it's all about buying right regardless of new or used. I did a lot of research and we paid for a new coach what similar coaches 4-5 years old are selling for. We love our new coach and sure we have had a few bugs but nothing major. Plus it's all under warranty. Ultimately everyone is different and has to do what is best for them. I think you will be happy with a Hurricane, we sure love it and it is a good looking coach inside and out. The pictures of ours are on here. Check out my other posts for pictures of our Hurricane. Good Luck!
David & Holly
2012 Thor Hurricane 33G
2007 MINI Cooper S
drindone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:32 PM   #18
I saw a 2006 tour person needed to sell.
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 06:53 PM   #19
Solo Rvers Club
As I researched buying a used mh here in Az, I learned that those really low mileage rigs being sold by an individual may not be the best buy. If the mh isn't being driven, there is the chance that it is has been sitting (in the heat) for a couple of years, and belts, tires, hoses, seals, etc are not being checked. Just something to consider.
kmesaaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:10 PM   #20
Nor'easters Club
Send a message via ICQ to MaxTurner1
All I can give is our experience. e bought our first Class "A" from a Repo outfit in Fredericks, VA. They lied about several things and once delivered, never spoke to us again. Home worked out, but my wife saw a Winnie while wintering in FL. that she fell in love with. I found 3 searching the web. One with low mileage and priced right, so we drove to ARK, and traded on the way home. They were great and I have had dealings since and our 2005 Adventurer 35A -- we love it. Only 10,000 miles. I say used. We can use ours while those with new ones visit their coaches at the shop.
Radio Engineer
2005 Winnebago Adventurer 35A
Toad 2010 Jeep Liberty / Blue Ox Aladdin
MaxTurner1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 PM   #21
RVM 18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
If you can do your own maintenece and minor to moderate repairs, buy used. If you pay someone else to do evrything, buy new.
Barb (RVM18), Sena (capuchin monkey, RVM Head Mascot) & Lily (Maltese/Yorkie)
2011 Shasta Cynara 230F & 2012 Smart Car toad, 272 watt solar system
The Journey is Our Destination. Full-timing since 5/18/2011 and loving it.
okmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 08:26 PM   #22
Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
PDI is indeed Pre Delivery Inspection.

Don't limit your search for used to the local market. I flew from Alaska to Nevada to get the deal I wanted.
This. Though there seem to be lots of used mohos in Tx, Az, and FL.
Funny how huge the market seems until you start searching for a "specific" model.
If you have the cash a 35' diesel rig might be a good starter and can be purchased for well less than $60k only a few years old. Gassers of the same age would be about 30-50% less.
WeatherTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 09:34 PM   #23
Master of Disaster

Even though the run from SoCal to the River is "only" 300 miles (depending on the specific start and end points), I think you'd enjoy the diesel. Especially if you are talking I-10 east... man that road is rough, and the diesels drive much, much better. Not to mention that climbing the grades, the engine may be noisy, but it'll be way behind you, so you won't care.

The Green Machine -- 2000 Mountain High Coachworks Summit (Spartan chassis / Cummins ISC)
...and F-Troop: Fearghus, Fiona, and Frankie (Cairn Terriers)
SteveLevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2012, 03:15 AM   #24
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
My wife and I will be going Full-Time in a new 40-42í DP after she retires in 4 years. After the sale of our house in Calif, weíll be SD residents on the road. In the meantime, she wants to purchase a 30-32í gas MH for short trips & vacation. We spend a lot of time on our pontoon boat at the Colorado River in the desert, so I NEED 2 A/Cís in the 113į heat.

I donít want to be crazy upside-down on my MH loan when we trade-in/sell it in 4 years. She is gaga over the new Thor A.C.E. 29.2, but I would have to put on a 2nd air (also, this rig equipped w/30 Amp). I like the Thor Hurricane 31J since it has 2 A/Cís (we only stay in parks w/hook-ups). Also, we have a pug & min pin, so the less carpet the better.

BIG QUESTION: SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT NEW OR USED? Nothing is set in stone, only that the DW likes above floor plans. I know new rigs will have their repair problems, but we also donít want to inherit any big repair issues buying used. SECONDARY QUESTION: Would an extended service plan, such as the one Good Sam offers, be a good idea or a waste of money?

Hi Bullit,

I have been accused of being a little conservative. But if I had a $3600. house payment, the thought of a weekend RV would be out of the question. Insurance, Taxes, deterioration and depreciating all adds up to $$$

I am certainly no electrician, but I would think 30 amp would work by using one A/c at a time. Close the door to bedroom and use the necessary a/c.

How about a used travel trailer, park it and leave in near the Colo River. No need for expensive Motorhome or Heavy Duty pickup??

Everybody says buy used. I think that is excellent advise, even for the dreamy diesel pusher.

Service warrantys: generally speaking, they are a joke. There are far to many loop holes, Read the fine print real close. I thought about this through Good Sam on my 99 Alpine Coach. It was extremely expensive. Example: you have been a the river for the weekend, now leaving Needles and heading home. You are pulling Needles mountain on I-40, its 110 degrees, the heat gage on the engine is out of sight (hot).The engine is totally gone. What caused the oproblem was a broken fan belt. The fan belt caused the problem, now belts are not covered, THEREFORE THE ENGINE REPAIR IS NOT COVERED>>>>> You call Good Sam Emergency road service to get your RV towed home for repair. Sorry Charlie... we only pay for a tow to the nearest facility, like Needles in this case. If you want it towed elsewhere, Good Sam will pay for the first 10 miles and the rest is yours. No thakx

My adise would be save your $$, buy a nice used diesel pusher from an individual after retirement. Warranty: If you cannot afford the repairs, you cannot afford an RV. I hope that was not to blunt.Happy trails, old trucker
Old Trucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2012, 12:21 AM   #25
Unfortunately for the people selling them this is a buyer's market with the collapse of the US economy and no end in sight with the clowns in Congress. A RV depreciates 10% a year for the first several years and you can save a lot by getting a 3-5 year old motorhome. Mileage also varies tremendously from the full timers to the people who started of full time but were forced to cut back. I have two friends who have not taken their Class A motorhomes out in the past 3 years and they paid well over $200K for them. Right now they would be lucky to get more than $85K for either of them.

Market "value" seems to be mostly a function of the model year and not the mileage so a lightly used older motorhome can be bought for less than one that is newer but had more use.

I would look for a used one that a couple had been using and not a family as there is less wear and tear on the interior with half as many people using the coach.

Something else to consider is that whatever the current owners paid to add awnings or generators or entertainment centers, etc. are going to be included at zero value when they sell the motorhome. This represents a considerable savings over buying a new motorhome and then having to add all the items you will want to level it, awnings, hoses, shore power cords, etc.
elkhornsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2012, 07:59 PM   #26
We purchased our 2008 Hurricane 33T back in Feb 2009, we are having major leak issues around the mega storage compartments, and the windshield has pulled away on the passenger side, automatic leveling jacks got stuck, microwave won't turn off, leaks from the roof and Thor customer service won't even talk to us! We won't buy from Thor again!

skelley331 is offline   Reply With Quote