Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-04-2012, 10:44 AM   #1

Need MH New v. Used Purchase Advice to Avoid Mistakes

My wife and I will be going Full-Time in a new 40-42’ DP after she retires in 4 years. After the sale of our house in Calif, we’ll be SD residents on the road. In the meantime, she wants to purchase a 30-32’ gas MH for short trips & vacation. We spend a lot of time on our pontoon boat at the Colorado River in the desert, so I NEED 2 A/C’s in the 113° heat.

I don’t want to be crazy upside-down on my MH loan when we trade-in/sell it in 4 years. She is gaga over the new Thor A.C.E. 29.2, but I would have to put on a 2nd air (also, this rig equipped w/30 Amp). I like the Thor Hurricane 31J since it has 2 A/C’s (we only stay in parks w/hook-ups). Also, we have a pug & min pin, so the less carpet the better.

BIG QUESTION: SHOULD I BE LOOKING AT NEW OR USED? Nothing is set in stone, only that the DW likes above floor plans. I know new rigs will have their repair problems, but we also don’t want to inherit any big repair issues buying used. SECONDARY QUESTION: Would an extended service plan, such as the one Good Sam offers, be a good idea or a waste of money?

Bullitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-04-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
If you buy new obviously the extended warranty is not needed as you will have your original warranty.

I personally like used as most if not all the bugs have been worked out.

When looking at used I always check for any recalls on the model I'm interested in and verify they have been done. As an example the Safari rear trailing arm recall cost new owners roughly $3,000.00 or more since Safari was out of business and there was no funding left to service the recall.

I purchased an EW on my 09 even though I still have some of the warranty left on the engine and transmission. The rest of the coach has no warranty since Safari is out of business.

If you decide to purchase an EW do your homework, read the many threads here on EW and look for an exclusionary type with a rider that covers consequential damages.

I bought mine for peace of mind hoping to never need it.

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 11:06 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
We prefer pre-owned coaches. Let someone else take the depreciation hit and find and fix the bugs. Buying a gently used pre-owned, from a reliable dealer (or private party after a knowledgeable inspection) is fine for us.

As for the extended warranty...I can not speak for Good Sam's, but we did buy a year's warranty on the 13 yr old coach we just bought. It was pricey, but we hope to get a lot of use this first year to expose any serious repair needs. Otherwise, we carry the usual 'road side service'.

Just my 2¢

JoAnn
36' 1999 Tradewinds 7371 DP
(vintage) 24' Starcraft Chieftan cruiser w/Eliminator Jet
Spokane Valley WA
Old 05-04-2012, 11:32 AM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Should have added once you select the coach, new or used, a PDI is extremely valuable.
Old 05-04-2012, 11:45 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Coming from one who purchased new, I would suggest buying used. Many folks are posting that dealers are offering great discounts on new rigs but I still can't see that competing with all the good used rigs on the market... especially if you plan to trade it in in a few short years.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 12:43 PM   #6

Thanks ka7suz, RickO, & sdennislee for your input so far. I live in So Cal and have been looking at RV Trader and local dealer used inventories today. Trying to stay in the 30-32’ Class A gas zone with 2 A/C’s. Will probably be towing either a Honda Fit or Ford Fiesta (just don’t know yet) to get around in after hook-up.

Like I said before, just don’t want to be too upside-down when I get rid of it after 4 years. Looking at the 40-42’ new DP’s in the Winnebago Journey, Itasca Meridian, or Tiffin Phaeton for full time later. I like the L-shape couches for TV viewing.

BTW sdennislee, new to the forum so I’m assuming that “PDI” means Pre Delivery Inspection or Product Deficiency Investigation.
Old 05-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
PDI is indeed Pre Delivery Inspection.

Don't limit your search for used to the local market. I flew from Alaska to Nevada to get the deal I wanted.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #8

Monaco Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Why buy the gasser in the first place???? If you are going to retire in 4 years go ahead and buy the "coach of your dreams" and save some money and start enjoying it now!
cb5300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #9

The mention of sale of house has me thinking they want to use some of the proceeds for the MH.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:51 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb5300
Why buy the gasser in the first place???? If you are going to retire in 4 years go ahead and buy the "coach of your dreams" and save some money and start enjoying it now!
Ditto, unless you aren't sure about the lifestyle. There are a lot of new 2011 models out there that dealers are dying to get off their lots. It will never be cheaper than now
Fulltime-Home is where we park it.
Davdeb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 03:10 PM   #11
Moderator Emeritus

We have bought both new and used and I recommend used. In most cases you aren't buying someone else's problem with a used RV - people sell quality used rigs all the time, perhaps because their circumstances have changed, or simply because they upgraded.

I also think it is a good idea to get your feet wet in an RV before getting "the coach of your dreams", because your dream will likely change a bit once you have some experience.

You definitely need 50A service to run two a/c's full time in 113 degree heat.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

Vintage RV Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Oklahoma Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Since you are going to sell it in 4 years, definitely a used coach. The depreciation will kill you on a new one. There are a lot of really nice 3 to 5 year old coaches on the market. We got a gently used 2008 5er for about 40% of the price of a new one like it.

But is is your money and spend it where it makes you happy. But you will have more money at the end of the day with a nice used one.

Ken
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 PM   #13

Thanks cb5300, BCooke, Davdeb1, Gary RVRoamer, and TXiceman for your feedback.

Gas v. Diesel: Thinking gasoline because most trips will not be further than CA or AZ so I won’t have to lay out more money for the short term on a DP.

Funky Gas MH v. FT Dream DP NOW: This has been in our thoughts too so I’m working on those $ numbers also. Have to consider my $3,600 house note plus DP payment together in the budget. Where I live in So Cal, this is considered a reasonable mortgage payment.

Full Timing Is for Psycho’s: My wife and I have been discussing Full Timing for over 20 years right now, especially since we have no reason to stay in So Cal. We will do it as long as we enjoy it OR kill each other in the confines of an RV and end up as an episode on CBS’s 48 Hours. However, we only have each other, get along great, and know there’s a lot to see in the USA. Our travels will help us to decide where to buy a retirement stick home when we want to cut to part time and hang out on the pontoon boat.

Note to sdennislee: I’m just glad that “PDI” didn’t mean Parti Démocratique Islamique, which is the Islamic Democratic Party in Rwanda. Can’t get there by RV.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:56 PM   #14

National RV Owners Club
As stated by many a good used one is a better buy.
You said you needed two A/C's for the hot weather, lookout most 30 amp MH's
only allow one A/C to run at a time. There are ways to get around that with some
wiring changes and a little work.

wb7auk is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
purchase