Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-22-2014, 08:46 PM   #1

Need Need Advice on Buying a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser

I am looking at buying a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35L with 22,000 miles, it is excellent condition. Has all new Toyo tires, leather interior, Full Body paint, queen bed, four door fridge. They are asking $65,000.

A couple of my concerns:

1. Has the workhorse chassis with 8.1L Vortec V8, 340 hp, but I do not know if it has the Allison 1000 series or 2100 series 6 speed transmission. Is this a solid engine and what is the different in the two transmissions?

2. There was about three to four inches of play in the steering wheel driving straight on the highway before the motorhome would react to the steering. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

3. Has True Air Central Air conditioning Coleman Mach cooling unit in the basement under bed area. Says it cools 40% faster and 10% quieter than roof units. Is this a good AC unit? I am a custom to roof units. Are there Pro's and con's to this AC system?

In advance thanks for the help

Greg

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-22-2014, 08:57 PM   #2

Need Advice on Buying 2007 Itasca Suncruise 35L

I am looking at buying a 2007 Itasca Suncruiser Model 35L with 22,000 miles, it is excellent condition. Has all new Toyo tires, leather interior, Full Body paint, queen bed, four door fridge. They are asking $65,000.

A couple of my concerns:

1. Has the workhorse chassis with 8.1L Vortec V8, 340 hp, but I do not know if it has the Allison 1000 series or 2100 series 6 speed transmission. Is this a solid engine and what is the different in the two transmissions?

2. There was about three to four inches of play in the steering wheel driving straight on the highway before the motorhome would react to the steering. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

3. Has True Air Central Air conditioning Coleman Mach cooling unit in the basement under bed area. Says it cools 40% faster and 10% quieter than roof units. Is this a good AC unit? I am a custom to roof units. Are there Pro's and con's to this AC system?

Greg

Old 05-22-2014, 09:03 PM   #3

1. 8.1 Vortec is a rock solid motor, coupled with any Allison transmission and you have a better combo than the Ford Product. The 1000 series is a 5 speed while the 2100 is a 6 speed. The 6 speed is preferable but they matte the transmission to the needs of the coach.

2. That does seem to be a bit, might want to have it checked out by a mechanic.

3. Some people love them some hate them. Personally i think they perform pretty well, you main concern will be with the input exhaust ducting splitting on you. It's a simple fix but causes lots of lost cool air and people complain about the unit rather than fixing the problem. One of the benefits of basement air is that you don't have water dripping off of your roof and no matter what people tell you it's cheaper to repair because you can call any AC repair person. The only thing you need to do is open up the side and roll the unit out. It takes a little bit of work but there are picture guides for you to do this if you need to and the great thing is they will come to your RV site.

You didn't mention what chassis it was one, the W22 had a brake recall that needs to be done. I'm sure others will chime in with more info. Good luck.

Steven
StevenNSteph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:14 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
1. From 2006 on the 1000 is a 6 speed with a 26,000 gross weight limit, used on W22 chassis and the 2100 is also a 6 speed but with a 30,000 gross weight limit used on the W24 chassis. The 35L was available with either. I like the power of the 8.1L engine. I have no problem keeping up with my friend's Tiffin Phaeton with a 350 HP diesel.

3. My basement air works very well. It keeps the MH COLD, when wintering in SW FL. The only real noise complaint I have comes from the fan, which requires turning up the TV volume a bit.

NADA online shows it at $65K low retail and $78K average retail without any options checked.

Fran
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 09:17 PM   #5

That's a lot of money for a gasser of that ventage !!!!
Old 05-22-2014, 10:37 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Entegra Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg950 View Post

A couple of my concerns:

IMO, the 8.1L / Allison combo makes the Workhorse chassis the best gasser "ever". If the 6th vin character is a "6", it will be a W-22 chassis with the 1000 series Allison. If the 6th vin character is an "A", it will be the W-24 chassis with the 2100 Allison. AFAIK, the 2100 is essentially the same as the 1000, but has a higher GVWR rating. If there is a "yellow knob" on the dash to release the parking brake, then the Allison does not have a Park Pawl and therefore you have the J72 AAPB. The AAPB is not known to be a huge problem, but it is a system that "can" develop issues and add problems getting it repaired. Given a choice, an AAPB is one thing I would avoid, if possible.

2. There was about three to four inches of play in the steering wheel driving straight on the highway before the motorhome would react to the steering. Is this normal or should I be concerned? This is excessive IMO, and MAY indicate that chassis was equipped with one of the higher ratio steering gearboxes, which make it really easy to turn at slow speed but also creates a "loose" feeling at speed. There is a "kit" to retrofit the gearbox to a lower "less sensitive" ratio. Brazel has the info on the kit.

3. Has True Air Central Air conditioning Coleman Mach cooling unit in the basement under bed area. Says it cools 40% faster and 10% quieter than roof units. Is this a good AC unit? I am a custom to roof units. Are there Pro's and con's to this AC system? If it cools the coach well, you may never have a problem and be quite satisfied, (many are) BUT from my experience with one, I will NEVER AGAIN buy any coach with basement AC made by Coleman/RVP.
Ed

Greg
SEE my replies imbedded above.

Tags
advice, itasca, suncruiser