Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #15

I have both the cordless and corded drills. Like others have noted, when I go to the cordless, the battery is usualy dead and have to wait to be recharged. I now use either drill less as even with my screw stabilizers, I use 4x4 blocks so the distance the stabilizer has to travel is very short. So I just use muscle power and less time is needed for set up or tear down. For uther uses, I mainly use the corded version.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-03-2011, 05:57 PM   #16

The need defines the tool...

I have battery, corded and hosed (air) tools, and until recently the barrery tools were worthless as I would get only part way done and need to swap batteries, the second one in the charger would be dead before the first one was cool enough to use.

My primary tool is air, given the 7.5 HP compressor and the tiny tool there is a weight advantage along with good power blah blah blah...

I recently purchased a Milwuakee (spelling) 18 volt 1/2 inch drill/hammer drill that will do a ton of work on one battery, so far I have built a couple short 30 ft fences and never had to swap to the second battery.

It is the Pro model sold at Home Depot.

When I need a short task it is the first tool if it is outside the range of the hose reel, everything in the shop is fed via the air, I only use the corded tools when there is no air tool in stoock (worm drive saw) or if working somewhere else.

If you need short duty cycle and can top off the battery before use then many of the kits at the box stores are fine, avoid the circ saw, the recip saw is more useful, the flashlight is a waste.

If the tools are going to be used seldom rather than often then the shelf life of the batteries comes into play.

There is a premium for the battery, and if the tool is not used very much then the battery simple dies of old age and the extra money spent for the battery are wasted where the same or less money applied to ta corded tool vives a lighter weight tool since no battery and better performance.

Plus the extension cord is handy for other uses...;-)

If you still want to get battery operated tools, stick with a NAME BRAND that will have replacement batteries available for the long term, no battery means no tool, and get the HIGHEST voltage available, since the WORK of the tool is based on POWER, and power is measured in WATTS, the higher voltage means less actual current in amps for the same output, so you get more torque from the motors with less strain on the battery, so the battery can have a lower current design that will allow for a higher amphour storage capacity resulting in more work being available.
TQ60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 06:30 PM   #17

Country Coach Owners Club
No expert here, but the replacement battery seems to cost 90% of the original price of the cordless tool.

Batteries for 25 yr old corded tools cost nothing.
1995 38' CC Magna #5280 **** Sold after 21 years of enjoyment.
deandec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:04 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
If a corded tool does go bad, the cost to repair it can be prohibitive. I wanted to have a Milwaukee corded right angle drill repaired when the switch went bad. They wanted more to repair it than I paid for it. The price of the switch was more than 50% of the price I paid for the tool.

08 Winnebago Destination 39W Gas UFO Workhorse Chassis......It's really weird being the same age as old people. I thought getting old would take much longer.
UFO Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 07:27 PM   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Another vote for Lithium Ion batteries - they won't go dead while sitting on the shelf waiting for the next project.

I like Milwaukee but they are pricey. Dewalt and Makita too. But I've had good service from Ryobi and Sears Craftsman too.

I wouldn't bother with a cordless circular saw - anything you need a circular saw for also needs the power of a corded tool. A cordless jig saw or reciprocating saw, however, is quite useful.

Get 18v or better for serious work, but I have a small 12v Lithium Milwaukee drill/driver that I use for all routine tasks and I love it. Light weight, fits into corners and cabinets, and packs a lot of power besides.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2011, 10:02 AM   #20

I bought a 18v cordless B&D set at Lowes and added a couple of tools when they went on sale (which they frequently do). I started with a bag and have graduated to a plastic storage box for al my cordless tools with a laser leveler, stud finder, etc. Most everything I need for household chores. I have gotten rid of my corded hand tools, but keep a router, miter saw, table jig saw, and a radial arm saw for big stuff.
Old 01-05-2011, 05:36 PM   #21

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The only cordless tools that make sense for me to own is a Dewalt 7.2v screwdriver and 7.2v drill. It makes sense for me because I use the screwdriver often enough to keep the batteries in good shape. I got the drill more so I would have the extra 7.2v batteries than for the drill itself. I rarely use the drill but the kit didn't cost as much as two batteries by themselves. The more you use cordless tools in general the better the batteries last. I use a screwdriver for almost any project I'm working on. Not the same with saws. I rarely use any kind of saw so a corded one is the way to go. Plug it in and it's ready to use on the rare occassion that I need it. I usually use my corded 3/8" drill for drilling because it's stronger than the 7.2v drill. All my sanders are corded. My son bought a bunch of cordless tools but after finding out the batteries were usually dead anytime he needed to use them he replaced just about everything with corded tools. Your experience may be different than mine, but think about how and how often your going to use your tools before buying them.
Easyrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2011, 12:21 PM   #22

Winnebago Owners Club
I have found that as with most products in rechargable tools ya gets what ya pays for. The more expensive tools tend to have better and longer lasting batteries. You can get the cheaper 12V and they will not hold the charge as long nor will the battery life last. To replace the batteries after they wear out you may as well just buy another tool as the cost is almost the same as new batteries. If you want a tool that gives you good service you will need to dig a bit deeper!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #23

I needed a recip. saw for some home work I'm doing. Ended up getting a Porter Cable package deal at Lowes. That was less expensive than the saw alone with a battery. Ended up with the recip. saw, drill, hand saw, flashlight, and 2 batteries (18V.) for $129.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:30 AM   #24

Thanks all!
Dc
DCMAC214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 10:54 AM   #25

I got the DeWalt 18v 4 tool kit at Lowes and am VERY happy with it! Got a sawzall for cutting up firewood, plus an Impact "Driver", drill and flashlight. Was a little disappointed because I wanted an Impact wrench rather than the "driver", but they're all powerful tools!! When not in use, I swap out my batteries on the charger weekly because the DeWalt charger maintains and conditions the batteries.
Nuge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #26

Winnebago Owners Club
we bought one of the 18v DeWalt cordless kits when they first came out (NiCad) and added several tools along the way .. I have run these thru the mill over the last many years especially the two drills .. The cordless skilsaw is a waste of money .. Gonna see if the tools will accept the LiOn batts , will need the LiOn charger tho'

Was given a set of 19.2V Craftsman drills and recip saw .. The recip saw is much easier to use than my corded Makita recip saw .. They are right there with the deWalts for torque

18v DeWalt with fresh batts is a force to be reckoned with .. we have enuff batts where every tool has power and a batt on the charger ..

Ours are used almost daily and are well worth the investment
JackHammr' is offline   Reply With Quote