Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-28-2015, 01:56 PM   #1

Need recommendation on super durable RV cover.

We just purchased a new travel trailer and want to cover it. UV and heavy winds are my biggest threats. Any first-hand recommendations on a super-durable cover? I'm willing to pay for quality. Thanks in advance. - Floyd

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-28-2015, 04:44 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The one issue that a cover will not do well in your part of the US is high winds. For any cover, it should be protected from very high winds or could chaf the RV.

The best covers are custom made with material like "Sunbrella" type fabric and have vinyl backers for any wear points. These will last for years, but cost thousands of dollars. We have one of these for our boat.

The mid-grade covers from Adco, Expedition, and similar will protect very well. That is what we use for the RV, but being made from Tyvek and similar materials, they will last 3-5 years before wearing thin in spots.

I would avoid the cheaper "fits-all" covers. Easily ID'd because they are just a big bag and have no corner zippers. They will protect the RV from sun but are hard to install/remove and due to poor fit, will flap in any breeze.

We picked to use a quality mid-grade cover also because the cover gets dirty over time. After a few years it is easier to spend a few hundred for a good new cover than to try to wash a big cover...they don't just fit in the washing machine.

Best luck

Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (Ret), Damon Outlaw #1193
I have seen gross intolerance shown in support of tolerance, Samuel Coleridge
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 06:17 PM   #3
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
Adco use to make some high end covers. I have a 36' duck cloth cover from Adco that cost me $1200.00. We used it on and off for a couple of years, but because we can RV all year long in California, it just became too much work because it's very heavy. If you need to cover your RV for winter, it would be a great cover. For monthly use, not so much. We now have a 40' coach so the cover sits in a container.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 09:30 PM   #4

Durable and RV cover do not comprehend. You can purchase the best and it may last three years if you still continue to climb up and install it everytime.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:26 PM   #5
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by djbmsu View Post
Durable and RV cover do not comprehend. You can purchase the best and it may last three years if you still continue to climb up and install it everytime.
This is not factual The Sunbrella fabric on our boat cover has made it past 19 years...that's the boat in our signature line - 1996 Wellcraft Excel Express Cruiser. The boat is NEVER not covered unless we're on it sipping MaiTai's

Our RV is covered if it will sit over 3 weeks unused. We are on our second mid-priced cover since we got it in 2010...and even being in the extreme southwest sun, the roof is in great condition - and the cover is the reason for that.

Covers are not easy to use, but the options are covered $torage (sure, easier but $ used on purpose) or damaged decals, seals, rubber parts, etc. Your decision.

Safe travels
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 06-29-2015, 12:40 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Another vote for Sunbrella fabric. Awesome stuff. I purchased our cover from Calmark Cover Company in 2009 and it has no wear on it that I can see after being used for about 5 months every winter since.
Al
Old 06-29-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

Sunbrella, good and expensive and very heavy and hard work to put on. I used one for a good 6 years and it eventually started to rot and tear. I do not think I would pay the money for another one for this bigger coach because it is too difficult to put on and off. I am still looking at the roof only cover.
Old 06-30-2015, 12:16 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Anybody ever get their rig wrapped like marine boats? sort of looks like shrink wrap
Old 06-30-2015, 12:07 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred1609 View Post
Anybody ever get their rig wrapped like marine boats? sort of looks like shrink wrap
Why would you? I mentioned that the Sunbrella was a pain to put on and take off but I can not even imagine doing this to the coach.
Old 06-30-2015, 04:10 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Just my two cents, but I'd look for covered storage. A cover is lots of trouble putting on, taking off, storing it when using the RV, getting it up on the roof to cover it, the wind will either make a hole in the awning or mar the RV, and more.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2015, 05:34 PM   #11

I cover our MH with a cover made by Calmark. It has help up well for 7 years. They make covers with Sunbrella.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:39 PM   #12

To cover or not to cover

Looking for others who have experience covering their RV. Just purchased a 40 ft. Country Coach....and thinking it would be a huge job putting a cover over it. I know some do...but would like to hear of your experience. Thinking of a building on our property as the best solution....but more money of course.
Thanks for your insight....
Old 07-03-2015, 03:51 PM   #13
Community Moderator

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by daryl989mich View Post
Looking for others who have experience covering their RV. Just purchased a 40 ft. Country Coach...
Thanks for your insight....
We cover our 37' (and super tall) RV anytime it will sit for over 3 weeks, unused.

It IS a chore to install and remove the cover, but the alternative is sun damage to the roof, roof top equipment, finish, seals, etc.

- If an owner can use covered storage, that is the best. -

But, we live in the 'burbs with CC&R's preventing at-home storage, and commercial covered storage in these parts start at $550 a month...

I WOULD build a shed for the RV at home if that was an option.

Best luck
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Old 07-06-2015, 08:35 PM   #14

Bought Adco cover for my trailer last winter ($400). By the end of winter it was torn in sveral places and had holes where the extended gutter stuck out, even with the socks. We have fierce wind. This year I ill see if I can get just a roof cover