Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 06-21-2016, 03:07 PM   #43
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
What ever you decide, keep in mind that Direct TV may be shutting down Standard Definition TV in 2017.

That means any Dome or single LNB dishs will not work.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowrv39 View Post
I have a KVH RV1 in motion dish on my roof, connected to DirectTV. I actually contacted KVH tech support and was told that when the changeover happens my system will still work. They say that at most I may need a software update at that time. Not exactly the end of the world you guys are predicting.
__________________

__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-21-2016, 07:03 PM   #44
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
I have a KVH RV1 in motion dish on my roof, connected to DirectTV. I actually contacted KVH tech support and was told that when the changeover happens my system will still work. They say that at most I may need a software update at that time. Not exactly the end of the world you guys are predicting.
This is yet another case of an unfounded internet rumor that is being repeated and amplified each time it gets posted. It's another "sky is falling" rumor that isn't even based on an actual DirecTV press statement. It's all based on a single internet post by a vendor.
__________________

__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 07:19 PM   #45
Senior Member
 
Dale & Mark Bruss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,112
Quote:
Originally Posted by docj View Post
This is yet another case of an unfounded internet rumor that is being repeated and amplified each time it gets posted. It's another "sky is falling" rumor that isn't even based on an actual DirecTV press statement. It's all based on a single internet post by a vendor.
Before you declare all is good with the world, some people have already had their dome go non-functional because of changes and there was no upgrade for their models.
__________________
Dale & Mark Bruss
11 Years Full-Timing Now with a 2016 Bounder 33C
40' Travel Supreme winter residence
Lots of RV Information at www.dmbruss.com
Dale & Mark Bruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2016, 08:15 PM   #46
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale & Mark Bruss View Post
Before you declare all is good with the world, some people have already had their dome go non-functional because of changes and there was no upgrade for their models.
There were the changes that Dish made several months ago which resulted in people essentially losing their systems.

And there is an issue with certain TracStar models which have difficulty getting DirecTV 101 when using recent versions of the TracStar software. But from what I've read about that issue it doesn't appear that DirecTV did anything to cause the problem. Rather, it is an artifact of the TracStar firmware.

I'm not aware of any other widespread problems being reported. If you know of others I'd be interested to learn more about them.

All I have been trying to point out is that this particular flap over "the end of SD on DirecTV" is the result of a single post by a vendor and that post states only that MPEG-2 SD will end in 2019. From what I've read on the DBS forums, there is no consensus as to what will actually happen in 2019. Will there be MGEG-4 SD? Will some SD transponders be reallocated to HD? etc.

IMHO it's premature to run around claiming that all dome systems will be useless after 2019. Even if SD went away, it's unlikely that DirecTV would abandon the 101 satellite. More likely it would repurpose it for HD programming which might just mean that some domes will be able to receive HD.
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 10:31 AM   #47
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
Crank up satellite dish

Ok, when we try to hook up the Genie we get a 775 error . Winegard crank up satellite. Is that because we do not have the satellite dish pointed in the right direction? We were told by Directv that the dish would not work.if this dish might actually work, should we buy something that will automatically find the location of the satellite for us? Do you have a recommendation? Thanks to all!

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpete View Post
tivoli, ive used that same crank up dish for about 9 years. i switched from dish to direct tv, and had no problem. it does not work for hd.
the orientation of the dish is easy, once you get the hang of it.
you can get a directory of the azimuth and elevation from the internet
i believe i found it on the direct tv site on the installation guide. you can tweek it for better reception, unlike the automatic dish.
its the same setup you use for a home dish, except you do it every time you use the dish.
__________________
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 11:22 AM   #48
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 2,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
Ok, when we try to hook up the Genie we get a 775 error . Winegard crank up satellite. Is that because we do not have the satellite dish pointed in the right direction? We were told by Directv that the dish would not work.if this dish might actually work, should we buy something that will automatically find the location of the satellite for us? Do you have a recommendation?
Trav'ler Automatic Multi-Satellite Antenna DIRECTV(R) SWM Slimline
__________________
2001 Mountain Aire DP 4095
2008 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
RVSeniorMoments.com
TechWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 12:51 PM   #49
Senior Member
 
docj's Avatar
Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 3,713
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
Ok, when we try to hook up the Genie we get a 775 error . Winegard crank up satellite. Is that because we do not have the satellite dish pointed in the right direction? We were told by Directv that the dish would not work.if this dish might actually work, should we buy something that will automatically find the location of the satellite for us? Do you have a recommendation? Thanks to all!
Did you install a SWM8 switch and a power inserter? The Genie is a SWM only device and your crank-up dish was not designed for SWM.

If you did create a SWM setup what setting did you use for the antenna on the setup screen?
__________________
Joel Weiss--WiFiRanger RV Ambassador
RVParkReviews administrator
2000 40' Beaver Patriot Thunder Princeton CAT C-12
docj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016, 01:40 PM   #50
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 107
Call Winegard tech support they will help you determine what you need
__________________
carl.swoyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:18 PM   #51
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Vista, Ca.
Posts: 77
I'm a nubie going full time and just went through a day of hell on getting to the bottom line on satellite's. Right now if you want HD Dish is the only one and you need the 211z receiver. We put a tailgater on the roof instead of one on a tripod and it comes down to personal choice. On the roof you just need to park with a clear view south to pick up the signal while with the tripod with 50' of coax out from the rv you can be under trees.
__________________
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 02:52 AM   #52
Senior Member
 
Scatterbrain's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Yucca Valley, Ca.
Posts: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimemeone View Post
I'm a nubie going full time and just went through a day of hell on getting to the bottom line on satellite's. Right now if you want HD Dish is the only one and you need the 211z receiver. We put a tailgater on the roof instead of one on a tripod and it comes down to personal choice. On the roof you just need to park with a clear view south to pick up the signal while with the tripod with 50' of coax out from the rv you can be under trees.
You can get HD with Direct TV just fine, you just can't use a "dome" style satellite dish. You either get a tripod mounted Slimline dish from DTV or you get the Winegard Traveler, which is an automated, roof mounted Slimline dish. Either way will give you DTV in HD. Of course the real question should be, which provider has the channel selection you want. It would have been easy for me to go with Dish, but they didn't offer the channels I wanted.
__________________
Scatterbrain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:28 AM   #53
Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 36
Thank you for replies! A couple of things: if I get the Slimline from Directv on a tripod, which unit should I get and will Directv install it and do the wiring, etc? I finally found a place that will do the install for the Winegard Travler but the satellite dish plus installation will run, ballpark, about $3500. Not sure I want to spend that much.
Thank you!
__________________
Tivoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 12:42 AM   #54
Senior Member
 
Mr_D's Avatar
 
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Vancouver, WA
Posts: 28,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrain View Post
You can get HD with Direct TV just fine, you just can't use a "dome" style satellite dish. You either get a tripod mounted Slimline dish from DTV or you get the Winegard Traveler, which is an automated, roof mounted Slimline dish. Either way will give you DTV in HD. Of course the real question should be, which provider has the channel selection you want. It would have been easy for me to go with Dish, but they didn't offer the channels I wanted.
Not true, the old MotoSat HD dish works fine for Direct HD as does the RF Mogul dish they now produce. I did have to buy a new RF Mogul controller after Direct made some changes to the repeaters though but still using the MotoSat HD dish.
__________________
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '14 CR-V
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 08:33 AM   #55
Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2015
Location: Vista, Ca.
Posts: 77
How about satallite dish for under $400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tivoli View Post
Thank you for replies! A couple of things: if I get the Slimline from Directv on a tripod, which unit should I get and will Directv install it and do the wiring, etc? I finally found a place that will do the install for the Winegard Travler but the satellite dish plus installation will run, ballpark, about $3500. Not sure I want to spend that much.
Thank you!
. King tailgater for under $400 at camping world(not the in motion), mount on the roof with 4 screws, drill a hole and cap for the coax, plug in the 211z receiver and you now have HD satellite service. If you don't want to do the installation yourself hire a handyman for an hours work, it's that easy. If you want more than one tv it's a little more expensive but nowhere near $3500. Get in your car and go to a camping world and talk to them because they carry the gear and know rv's.
__________________
jimemeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:07 AM   #56
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 252
On DirectV I have been using a tripod antenna for 19 years. I have been through three shapes and 9 LNBs. I carry 200 ft of RG-6G cable so the antenna can go most anywhere. The current setup mirrors the house setup and only requires an additional $15 a month for the DNS channels. DirectV current top of the line antenna is the Slim-Line 3 SWM. This is the oval antenna with a 3 head integrated LNB so antenna can reach all three DirectV galaxies (11 satellites) on two different frequency bands. The current DVR receiver is the HR-54 which is compact, low power and has the antenna power built in. It can record 5 different channels while serving three different remote TVs through clients (called mini genies). The clients can be wired or wireless. I use a SatLook Lite signal finder to aim the antenna.
__________________

__________________
Beau388 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
dish, satellite



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I switch my satellite dish back to directv from Dish 4tfamily Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 14 10-25-2014 01:13 PM
HD Dish Network DVR not working with Kingdome in-motion satellite dish ? Harry B Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 14 05-02-2014 09:38 AM
switching Winegard satellite dish from Direct to Dish Roadweary Newmar Owner's Forum 6 11-03-2013 08:54 AM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 05:14 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.