Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2009, 02:08 PM   #1

The RV park in Williams, near the Grand Canyon, requires a support system for the sewer hose. CW has several available. Which one should I get for my MH based on your experience or they all about the same?

Cheers
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2009, 02:52 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Hi BigRedLancer,
I'm assuming you are refering to the 3" waste hose. If so, when I used the 3" hose I used the slinky style support. I tried the solid/slider kind, but it took additional storage space outside of the utility bay (had to be cleaned really good after each use) and never quite fit the distance needed.

I have gone to the macerator style of waste disposal. No need to support the hose. Everything, on the coach stays attached all the time. Just insert the end into the CG pipe and turn on the unit. For me, it is a much easier solution.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 03:15 PM   #3

I went to Home Depot and bought plastic eaves trough ... I cut it with a hacksaw so that it fits in my storage bay ... the eaves trough wash off with a hose ... and a couple of drops of clorox and water sanitizes them ...

I prop the eaves trough up on some PVC supports that I have made ... but you can use wooden blocks or stones ...

former owner 2004 Winnebago Journey 39W
skigramp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:50 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

There is no rationale reason to support the hose - you are better off with a dip in it anyway, to form a P-trap. But if a misguided park requires one, my solution is to not hook up at all except when actually dumping. Then disconnect again. It gives the tanks a good flush that way anyway.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:19 PM   #5

I had bought the plastic expandable one. The plastic ones don't last long, especially in cold weather. Currently we are using a very short piece of hose running into a solid PVC sewer pipe which plugs into the ground sewer pipe. I had the "p" trap syndrome... I ended up with a frozen sewer line. But then I'm spending the winter in SW NC mountains and it hits freezing temps overnight.
Lorna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
What GaryKD said, Ditto for me.
historyljc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 05:35 PM   #7

Mid Atlantic Campers
Camping World has an inexpensive slinkey type that works very well, and folds up very small.

2007 National RV Pacifica 36'
Jestme13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:29 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
I want to have a trap in the stinky slinky. But if they want, get a section of plastic gutter and cut it into a couple of translortable sections. Use a bungee cord to support the ends from the rig and the elbow.

On our older rig, the drain connection is so low, that it is oftern below the drain. Guess they would expect me to park the rig on blocks to get it up higher.

Sounds like a typical "government" requirement. They know nothing of what they speak.
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:38 AM   #9

Newmar Owners Club
Have camped at a few RV parks in past couple of weeks in AZ and all said "The State of AZ requires all sewer hoses be off the ground". One resort said that rule would be in the new campground rules and regs when they print new ones.
We have the slinky type works great and alot of parks have a elevated sewer opening so this works ok for us.

THE MIND IS LIKE A PARACHUTE, IT MUST BE OPEN TO WORK
read & learn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
So if they want it "off the ground", be very literal. Place a length of cardboard on the ground and lay the hose on that....it is off the ground.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 12:06 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
It is specifically for sanitary purposes. I was told the real reason for this rule is that people were getting pin holes in their hoses from rocks and also from those star type stickers that are everywhere in the SW.
bdpreece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:30 PM   #12

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Hey BigRed, I use the "Slunky" with good success. It is available at CW and at many campgrounds. It helps to keep those pin holes out of your sewer hose. Good Luck.
Craig Heyne & Co-Pilot/Navigator Sharon. 2007 Voyage 33V W20. Brazel's Ultra Power Permormance kit. CAI, Reprogramming, plug wires, Steer-Safe, Suzuki Grand Vitara toad, two spoiled cats and a GPS set to infinity.
Craig H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 03:21 PM   #13

I use the slinky one also --- I do make a trap in it by extending the hose outside of the slinky and then back on it. Works well for me. I guess if you really did not want the hose to touch the ground, you could make the trap and put a piece of cardboard under the hose where you made the trap.
Old 02-03-2009, 03:47 PM   #14

I'm sorry, but I don't understand the fine principles of plumbing. Why do you need a P Trap? The park I'm in now has a concrete "island" containing the sewer opening, and the hose runs down from the waste pipe, along the ground, and then UP on to the island. So when I have emptied the tanks there is still waste water in the hose, so wouldn't the support be a positive thing? I'm new - only been rv'ing since December, so I have a lot to learn. Thanks.
gypsy97 is offline   Reply With Quote