Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-11-2016, 05:30 PM   #1

Need some sort of shelving for my outside storage bins.

I have one bin, at the front of the trailer, with at 22" high and 13" wide door, about 15" deep. Right now, it has fishing reels, fire-starting supplies, some rope, dog cable, folding table, and really, just a bunch of junk laying there.

I KNOW I can do better with this storage space, instead of just throwing stuff in there.

My other 2 storage areas have tupperwares and everything is sorted by use, and stored efficiently, wasting very little space.

Can anyone suggest a shelf system, maybe something adjustable, that would fit in there, and allow me to stack and shelve all my junk?

I want to put outdoors stuff in there, shoes, wetsuits, fishing and metal detecting equipment, fire-starting stuff. Maybe a sweater, etc. Nothing heavy.

Otherwise, I may get square tupperwares, and fill each with "Fishing supplies", "fire supplies", "Wetsuits", "shoes", etc, and just stack those in there nested one on top of the other.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160511_172557.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	320.9 KB
ID:	126779  

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-11-2016, 05:49 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Check out a big box store like Lowes for closet shelving. You can install bracket hangers on both sides of the walls and adjust the height of your shelves..

Old 05-11-2016, 05:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by garykk View Post
Check out a big box store like Lowes for closet shelving. You can install bracket hangers on both sides of the walls and adjust the height of your shelves..
Sadly, there is no wall on the left. It connects to another door's storage bay, so it is open on the left side. Not to say that I couldn't build a thin wall or put in legs, to hold something up.

But, now that THAT is said, I might be able to run shelves all the way across both storage bays...
Old 05-11-2016, 06:10 PM   #4

How about something like these?

Quantum Storage Systems 75 lb Capacity, Hang and Stack Bin, Green QUS250GN - Walmart.com
h20ski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 06:36 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by h20ski View Post
I think I could make those work! Seen them a thousand times, but never thought about using them in this area. I had my mind stuck on actual "shelves" as opposed to bins.

And those could be larger than the hole in the door, I could insert them at an angle and then stack and lock them.

I will look locally tomorrow and see if I can find those. I could use them in another storage bin, as well, that I just emptied out. One bin was holding only my outdoor bbq grille, and I realized that I could ratchet-strap it to the rear bumper, and free up an entire storage bin!
Old 05-11-2016, 06:48 PM   #6

Take a look at this site. If this were mine, I'd put in a slide out with the shelves built on the slide si the whole contents move out with the slide.

MORryde Products - MORryde International
Old 05-11-2016, 06:53 PM   #7

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Your door width may be a limiting factor, but Lowes sells a variety of roll-out shelves like these. I know the specific link is too wide, but I'm sure I've seen narrower ones installed in RV pantries.
Old 05-11-2016, 08:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half Dimes View Post
Your door width may be a limiting factor, but Lowes sells a variety of roll-out shelves like these. I know the specific link is too wide, but I'm sure I've seen narrower ones installed in RV pantries.
Yes, the door width is WAY smaller than the space allotted inside the storage bin. Which is why I like the stackable units mentioned by h20ski. I could slip them in sideways, or at an angle, and stack them, and end up with drawers that are a good 6" or 8" wider than the door width.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:34 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottandanna View Post
Yes, the door width is WAY smaller than the space allotted inside the storage bin. Which is why I like the stackable units mentioned by h20ski. I could slip them in sideways, or at an angle, and stack them, and end up with drawers that are a good 6" or 8" wider than the door width.
Much better! Thanks for the suggestions!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160512_163225.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	126854  
Old 05-12-2016, 04:48 PM   #10

Monaco Owners Club
Some genius on this site built his shelving system outta pvc pipe and fittings, 90s and T's. No need for glue in my mind, just rubber hammer them together. Gonna take a lot of beer and imagination, and if it ain't right or you get a better idea, it isn't glued together.
TonyMac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2016, 11:16 PM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
I use the wire shelves made for closets, like first noted. I don't use the shelving hangars that come with them. I use small black cable hold downs found in the wiring department of Home Depot. Just slip a cable holder around the wire and drive a screw into the wall. On your one side with no wall, just add a piece of 1"x2" wood vertically just behind your rubber seal and screw into it. The shelves just need four points to support it.

Dutch Star Don is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
storage

« Awning | RV Loans »