Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Reply
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #1
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Needing input on Odessa Overland

I am looking at a 1995 40ft Odessa Overland. 300 horse Cummins. Spartan Chassis. 156,500 miles under 20K. Any diesel guys out there can tell me about Cummins with this mileage. How about Spartan chassis? How would you rate them? I thought all Odessa Overland Coaches were Freightliner.
__________________

__________________
jerryparthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:06 PM   #2
Community Moderator
 
RV Wizard's Avatar


 
Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Join Date: Mar 2000
Location: Chattanooga, Tn.
Posts: 12,062
Hello and We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures and experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.
Hopefully someone familiar with this coach can help you out soon.
__________________

__________________
Mike, RVIA & RVSA Certified Master RV Technician
Amy, Dr. Assistant - Roxie & Mei Ling, four legs each
2000 Gulf Stream Scenic Cruiser 450 hp & 1330# torque
06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 12:17 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus
 
Gary RVRoamer's Avatar


 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Location: Silver Springs, FL. USA
Posts: 18,096
Cummins and Spartan are both excellent. Whether that engine, chassis and transmission have been well-maintained or badly abused is an entirely different question. Condition is what is important, not who built the engine or chassis.
__________________
Gary Brinck
Former owner of 2004 American Tradition
Home is in the Ocala Nat'l Forest near Ocala, FL
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 06:59 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
DDDonkey's Avatar
 
National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 450
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Cummins and Spartan are both excellent. Whether that engine, chassis and transmission have been well-maintained or badly abused is an entirely different question. Condition is what is important, not who built the engine or chassis.
Very true and great advice!

Can you tell us what cummins engine it is? The ISB or the ISC can both be had in 300hp, if it is the ISC 8.3L it is even better. I would have an oil analyst done and the coach inspected.
__________________
2008 National SurfSide 34E (Bunk Model) Ford V10
Sold- 1990 Hawkins Chevy P30 454
DDDonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:56 AM   #5
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Smile 1995 Odessa Overland

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDDonkey View Post
Very true and great advice!

Can you tell us what cummins engine it is? The ISB or the ISC can both be had in 300hp, if it is the ISC 8.3L it is even better. I would have an oil analyst done and the coach inspected.
I appreciate your input. No I don't know which engine it is but I will be certain to find out armed with your advice. Coach seems well cred for from interior appearance but I will be diligent on the engine, tranny and frame inspection.
__________________
jerryparthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:59 AM   #6
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
Cummins and Spartan are both excellent. Whether that engine, chassis and transmission have been well-maintained or badly abused is an entirely different question. Condition is what is important, not who built the engine or chassis.
Thanks Gary. I will be certain to have it checked out.
__________________
jerryparthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
oakcreekeric's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Oak Creek, WI
Posts: 940
1995 Odessa Overland 40, Houston TX - - RVtrader.com

Is this the one you're considering? Looks like a nice unit, and well under $20K...

Don't forget to check the following:
  • Tires - DOT code.. tires usually last up to 8yrs
  • Oil Analysis - Have a sample of the fluids tested
  • Water Leaks - its a 20yr coach - make sure you don't have any festering mold issues
  • Generator - Make sure you take Oil samples from it too.. and make sure it produces the required power
  • Rust - if you crawl up under and see a bunch of rust, you may want to walk away
  • Refrigerator - make sure this is up to par
Buying something this old is always a crap shoot.. if this is the unit you're looking at.. follow the advice above.. have it checked out by professionals and make your best educated guess.. and hang on.. it'll be a fun ride !!
__________________
Eric & Denise
2012 Itasca Sunstar 35F
2010 Harley-Davidson Ultra Limited
oakcreekeric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
TVforMyRV's Avatar


Official iRV2 Sponsor
 
Overland Owners Club
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Ickesburg, PA
Posts: 721
Blog Entries: 1
The Overlands were well built. This engine would be a C-8.3 mechanical injection engine. Care and upkeep to this point would be a factor, but you should plan on spending some money, it's just part if having a motorhome.

There is a group of Overland owners on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/537718293011161/

Lot's of experience there, don't hesitate to ask questions.
__________________
Don & Anita Sweger
98 Overland Larado 4141SO
41' 325hp Cummins C8.3 Nicknamed "Lola"
Owners of: www.tvformyrv.com
TVforMyRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:20 PM   #9
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by oakcreekeric View Post
1995 Odessa Overland 40, Houston TX - - RVtrader.com

Is this the one you're considering? Looks like a nice unit, and well under $20K...

Don't forget to check the following:
  • Tires - DOT code.. tires usually last up to 8yrs
  • Oil Analysis - Have a sample of the fluids tested
  • Water Leaks - its a 20yr coach - make sure you don't have any festering mold issues
  • Generator - Make sure you take Oil samples from it too.. and make sure it produces the required power
  • Rust - if you crawl up under and see a bunch of rust, you may want to walk away
  • Refrigerator - make sure this is up to par
Buying something this old is always a crap shoot.. if this is the unit you're looking at.. follow the advice above.. have it checked out by professionals and make your best educated guess.. and hang on.. it'll be a fun ride !!
Thank you so much for your input. I will check it out!
__________________
jerryparthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:22 PM   #10
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVforMyRV View Post
The Overlands were well built. This engine would be a C-8.3 mechanical injection engine. Care and upkeep to this point would be a factor, but you should plan on spending some money, it's just part if having a motorhome.

There is a group of Overland owners on facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/537718293011161/

Lot's of experience there, don't hesitate to ask questions.
Thanks guys. I will look at facebook site.
__________________

__________________
jerryparthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply



Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sometimes can't change signal input for TV JMonroe Technology: Internet, TV, Satellite, Cell Phones, etc. 1 05-18-2015 11:35 AM
Signature Castle 45 Detroit Diesel Input Needed! UAV Monaco Owner's Forum 10 08-24-2014 12:41 PM
Backup Camera Input Inoperative jpspinks Thor Industries Owner's Forum 7 08-07-2014 08:50 PM
Main TV, no Cable/Antenna input OC Bill Newmar Owner's Forum 11 06-17-2014 02:38 PM
Needing input on rv sales 3smdjbss iRV2.com General Discussion 1 02-18-2014 09:50 PM

» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:57 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.