Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-11-2018, 09:17 PM   #1

Needs for winter RVing?

Hi!

I’ve never owned an RV before. I’m moving to Idaho from November - March, maybe longer, and want to see if living in an RV can be cost-effective.

I can plug in at a campsite, use shower and bathroom facilities, etc. My question is, I keep hearing I’ll need a bunch of propane. Why won’t a space heater work? I used to have a cabin that had a space heater in the wall, and that space heater kept that whole cabin warm for as long as you wanted. Was the insulation just that much better than an RV? If I have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of propane every month, the RV probably won’t work!

Thanks all!
Birddogbrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-11-2018, 10:32 PM   #2

Welcome to iRV2.

There are one season RVs , three season RVs and four season RVs.

For winter in the North West , you'll need a four season RV and a park that stays open all year to park it in .
Insulation is the big factor , if you have a park that stays open and keeps it's facilities open too, you'll have to get permission to skirt it to the ground ; wind under the RV will be the biggest area of heat loss. Slide floors and windows are next.
Starting into RVing in the winter is a big step , and it will be challenging.
Old 10-11-2018, 10:39 PM   #3

We have a fifth wheel and have not used our furnace in 3 years. We heat strictly with our 1300W elec fireplace and one 1500w space heater. We are currently near Grand Forks, ND and the temp is suppose to drop to 12F tonight, even so I already turned off the elec fireplace and just plan to run the 1500w space heater solo tonight. One trick we do if the temp drops into the 20's is to put Reflectix sheets in most of the windows to help hold in the heat and put a light bulb/lamp near the water pump/tank. I also have a small Mr Buddy propane heater for back up if we ever lose power which is ventless and does a good job for backup heat. Elec blanket on the bed also helps.
grindstone01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 07:26 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
Have you found a campground in Idaho open all year that has showers also open? Some places are open only for self contained rigs. What are you going to do for cooking and dish washing? Winter camping that far north is not for the inexperienced or the faint hearted.
UTTransplant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 08:03 AM   #5

Besides cooking and your water heater, electric service can go down during the worst winter storms when you need the heat the most.

We have spent two winters at 7000' and have some experience. Our coach has dual pane windows, 4 season insulation and a heated, insulated basement. I do have an electric heater on a Thermocube in the basement for a backup heat source for the water lines but would not want to rely on an electric heater down there.

If you do rely on electric heaters, make sure you get ones with mechanical controls. Heaters with digital controls do not turn back on after a power interruption and are not reliable or safe on MSW inverter power.

Humidity/condensation control is as important as heat control. Park in a site with as much sun as possible, face the curb side south to maximize passive solar heat. Keep the roof and slide tops free of snow always.

It is certainly doable, we have done it, but I would not winter without a quality RV with dual pane windows, 4 season insulation and a heated and insulated basement and water bay.

Edit: Over a normal winter at 7000' we use about $100/mo on propane, average, so $500 or so for the whole winter, but we are comfortable. We have the propane company drop off a 100 gallon external tank and they check it every two weeks or so during the coldest weather.
Old 10-12-2018, 09:11 AM   #6
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi ! Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined the gang!

Others have answered your questions. Just wanted to say hello.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 09:53 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birddogbrice View Post
Hi!

I’ve never owned an RV before. I’m moving to Idaho from November - March, maybe longer, and want to see if living in an RV can be cost-effective.

I can plug in at a campsite, use shower and bathroom facilities, etc. My question is, I keep hearing I’ll need a bunch of propane. Why won’t a space heater work? I used to have a cabin that had a space heater in the wall, and that space heater kept that whole cabin warm for as long as you wanted. Was the insulation just that much better than an RV? If I have to buy hundreds of dollars worth of propane every month, the RV probably won’t work!

Thanks all!
The short answer is that it will be more cost effective to rent something than to learn about RV living in the winter. Insulation is better in most buildings. The largest RV does not have the space of a small apartment.

If you do go to an RV get one with a generator in case of power problems and add an extend a stay or similar so you can use large gas bottles most distributors will fill on site. You will need to keep areas with water in them above freezing so look for units with enclosed heatable tank spaces.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2018, 01:08 PM   #8

At least in Flagstaff, we could never pay less for rent/utilities for a house or apartment (that takes dogs and does not have a year lease) than we pay for living comfortably in our motor coach in a year-round RV park here. And that does not include expenses to store our coach while renting.
Old 10-17-2018, 01:18 AM   #9

Welcome to the forum!

Good luck with your plans.

Tags
rving, winter