Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-12-2016, 11:20 AM   #57
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Originally Posted by twogypsies View Post
You can get a better price paying cash rather than financing.
Probably not. If you pay cash the deal is done and the dealer gets what he negotiated. If you finance, he can steer you towards his bank and get a kickback from your loan. It doesn't necessarily mean a bad interest rate. I had a dealer beat my CU 1.65 percent rate on my last car purchase. Another time I went with the dealer financing and then refinanced at my CU because the rate was slightly lower. The dealer called and asked me not to refinance for six months so he wouldn't lose his spif from the bank.

From honest car buying advice.

Why You Should Never Tell a Dealer You're Paying Cash

Many car buyers assume they will get a better deal if they pay cash - this is definitely not true. Saving up enough money to buy a car with cash is certainly more difficult than getting a loan, so people assume they should be rewarded for this achievement.

The reason it doesn't work that way is because car dealers make money three different ways when you purchase a new car:

The Sale of the Car
The Financing
The Trade-In

Most people know that dealers make a certain profit on the sale of the vehicle (and the trade-in if you have one), but what most don't realize is that dealers sometimes make the bulk of their profit on the financing - by charging a loan mark-up.

For example, the dealer will set you up with a car loan through one of their finance partners at 5% interest, and will tack on an extra 2% loan markup. You will be paying 7% interest with 2% of that going straight to the dealer's pocket.

For this reason, most salesman will ask you upfront if you will be financing or paying cash.

NEVER tell them you're paying cash!

When asked, just respond by saying "probably". If they keep hounding you, tell them you're interested in financing but that you want to agree on the price of the car first.

If you tell them you're paying cash, they will automatically calculate a lower profit and thus will be less likely to negotiate a lower price for you.

If they think you're going to be financing, they figure they'll make a few hundred dollars in extra profit and therefore be more flexible with the price of the car.

Once you hammer out and agree to the price of the new car, then you can tell them you changed your mind and would like to pay cash.

Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-12-2016, 11:46 AM   #58
We ask for them to give us their best price out the door with no trade in. We've done our research and know what the best price should be. If they can't do this they've lost the sale.

We've bought our last two RVs and last three cars through email. We gave them the same specs. The one that came in lowest got the sale. We've never done a trade-in in our 60 years of driving.

We don't do the sales person to sales manager game of going back and forth on prices. They have one chance of giving us their best price. We haven't been disappointed.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 01:35 AM   #59
Finally getting the hang of this, I think - you all are very helpful, even when your points of view are different.

I'll let you know what happens when the house sells. In the meantime, next Monday, the cats and I am kicked out of the house while the last of the work and painting and staging takes place - taking our old small RV to Betabel RV park to stay out of the way. I've ordered a baby/temperature monitor for the cats so I can feel safer leaving them to go shopping, etc., while I wait for my husband, real estate agent and stager to finish their part of their jobs. This is going to be EXCEEDINGLY stressful. But the money and freedom at the end will be worth it - I hope.
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 10:32 PM   #60
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
An RV is not going to get too hot for pets unless left in the hot sun for hours--the shades help much. I like these for car and truck windows--they have a solar panel that runs a fan that blows hot air to the outside and blows fresh air into the vehicle. http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-...ndow+fan+solar

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 PM   #61
Originally Posted by RV Vagabond View Post
An RV is not going to get too hot for pets unless left in the hot sun for hours--the shades help much. I like these for car and truck windows--they have a solar panel that runs a fan that blows hot air to the outside and blows fresh air into the vehicle. http://www.amazon.com/Solar-Powered-...ndow+fan+solar
It gets pretty hot here by this time of year - Betebel is a big relatively treeless parking lot on asphalt, far enough from the ocean that it gets pretty warm - I worry about the electricity or AC going out on our old girl.

But that gadget sounds like a GREAT idea for the cars! I HATE getting into a sweltering hot car.

DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote

dealer, purchase