Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-27-2016, 08:54 AM   #29

I wouldn't go more than 40%. You can most times get 30% off new.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-27-2016, 08:56 AM   #30

Make your offer at $190 and see what happens. You will still have to replace tires and anything else that fails two years sooner than a brand new one. Mention that in your dealings.....
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #31

One item not mentioned is batteries. Make it a requirement if the purchase goes through that they replace the batteries, or at least figure that into your offer. PROPERLY maintained batteries will last a long time. Batteries that have been a coach for two years, probably not regularly charged are likely junk or at least severely reduced in life expectancy by now.

If you are planning on submitting an offer, whatever the amount, have a check prepared for the down payment, contingent upon their accepting your offer. Hand them (or mail them) your WRITTEN offer that includes a time limit (say 48 hours) along with the check for down payment. Tell them that they can talk to the owner/sales manager, or manager down the road at the Burger King for all you care. You just need a phone call within 48 hours telling you if you need to void the check, or whether they are going to cash the check and complete the sale.

Obviously make the sale contingent upon PDI. Good luck in your search!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2016, 11:06 AM   #32

Monaco Owners Club
I have also been asking on the Tiffin site, and got the following comments, which may be useful to those who might be discussing buying a "new" coach that is a model year older:

Using a coach causes wear and tear. And not using a coach causes wear and tear...letting it just sit there may even cause more damage. For a unit that may be close to 2 years old and NOT used, I don't know if I'd want it or not. Mechanical things do not like to sit. Seals and hoses dry out, cylinders rust, lubrication gets thicker and less effective, plumbing components and seals dry out. Mice and bugs invade. Water/rain leaks go unnoticed. Any fuel in the tanks for that long can gunk up and goes bad. So the fuel needs to be drained/recycled and the tanks cleaned. Water condenses in the fuel tank. Oil and oil filters, fuel filters, water filters, air filters all need to be changed. The same applies to the Generator. On top of all that, there are the many "normal" punch list items that need attention. While the warrantees will take care of these items, it's still a pain, loss of use and months in the shop. Besides that, why has a 2015 sat on their lot so long?

And

they don't wax the units on there lot's but with that said you could get that motorhome for around 164000 when I bought my red 2014 in 2013 the place where I bought my red had new phaeton and it wasn't but 3000 more that unit Tiffin want's to help the dealer sale it so like I said tell them 160000 and don't past 164000 walk away they will take it.

This is in addition to the battery issues mentioned above, and the tires.

Now I'm feeling uneasy about the whole deal!
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2016, 09:53 AM   #33

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
I don't like haggling the % off thing. I like the way Nexus does it, all their prices are plainly listed on their website. They are not negotiable and have no dealer markup. https://nexusrv.com/product/2016-ben...ss-a-motorhome
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 07:43 AM   #34

If you have your own financing and can get pre approval for that specific unit then to the dealer it is a cash deal.

Given you will be gone no warranty issue so they may prefer to make it go away.

Do not worry about anything in the unit as warranty will take care of it....but first action is to get the VIN and check with manufacturer to follow up specific to warranty and tires, batteries and anything else.

Also confirm who will be servicing it where you plan on being and be sure they can and will give you prompt service.

Still leverage the sale but do not insist on new batteries as they will toss in cheap stuff.

Rather call your "new servicer" and arrange for replacements and work out getting top quality even if you pay the difference.

Could do same at purchase if needed.

Seek advise from manufacturer for extended warranty supplier as the aged unit could have a need.

Also drop by manufacturer on way home to have them fix "something" so they can look it over as they ate not far out of the way maybe.

Put your hardball hat on and hold firm on your offer and also have in hand a written quote for a delivered factory fresh unit...
Old 01-29-2016, 10:12 PM   #35

Monaco Owners Club
TQ60 - thanks!

I sent an email to Tiffin today for a new unit - I'm sure it's not going to be a number we can live with, but I also saw on the dealer's site that the 2015 has a sale pending (assuming that's true) so I will be having to consider buying a rig that is not ideal in every way anyway.
Old 02-07-2016, 03:23 PM   #36

Monaco Owners Club
Well, we're not much closer to buying yet, but:

1) Tiffin wouldn't tell me anything price-wise - referred me to a dealer.
2) The 2015 outfitted the way I liked is gone
3) I may need to consider that all-electric might be better, even if I'm going to HATE having to learn how to cook with an induction cooktop and convection microwave. I guess it's safer, and we still have a gas cooktop for outdoor cooking. And it probably is better for resale value, and also for longer-term stays in RV parks (more expensive, but don't have to unhook to get propane refills). But I'm definitely going to pout for a long time.
Old 02-07-2016, 06:16 PM   #37

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Consider https://nexusrv.com they will customize them just about any way you want at a reasonable price.
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 07:23 AM   #38

They want a Tiffin, why are you pushing Nexus ?
NevadaNick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2016, 08:25 AM   #39
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
3) I may need to consider that all-electric might be better, even if I'm going to HATE having to learn how to cook with an induction cooktop and convection microwave. I guess it's safer, and we still have a gas cooktop for outdoor cooking. And it probably is better for resale value, and also for longer-term stays in RV parks (more expensive, but don't have to unhook to get propane refills). But I'm definitely going to pout for a long time.
Not sure why you say that. Cooking with propane takes so little gas you would probably not have to refill the LP tank all year. I'm going into the third year on our coach LP tank, and that includes some LP ridge consumption (while driving) and occasional heating as well.

The incidence of propane fires or other LP safety issues in an RV are so rare as to make the whole thing pointless. You are far more likely to have an engine or electrical fire than propane.

I'm in no way opposed to all-electric, but if you prefer a gas stove or other gas appliances, by all means get what you like.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:07 PM   #40

I was asking on another link if Nexus negotiates ... So they don't budge at all? Do you have one ? And if so what are your thoughts on it?
My3js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:19 PM   #41

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Star Don View Post
As much as people would like to think that the dealer will just give this coach away, there is a reason why they still have it......they're not giving it away!

MOST people that work a good deal will see between 23% - 28% discount. I agree with "mojoracing". A reasonable discount will be right around 35%. Make sure you know what the real MSRP is on that coach, make an offer of 38% off and start your negotiating.
Some would say the reason why they still have it is that they have not been willing to take a fair offer for it. As time goes on it does not get more valuable and that fair price diminishes. At some point they may get tired of looking at it and take the next reasonable offer that they get. I would offer 40% off and be prepared to walk. You never know, this could be the day that they say goodbye to it.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2016, 01:29 PM   #42

Entegra Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary RVRoamer View Post
NThe incidence of propane fires or other LP safety issues in an RV are so rare as to make the whole thing pointless. You are far more likely to have an engine or electrical fire than propane.
Try telling that to the owners suffering from Norcold refrigerator fires. I have read dozens of reports of these fires over the years, and have read about only one or two fires of another sort. I think the comment was correct about all_electric being safer than propane.

In addition it is more convenient. No need to ever refill propane tanks and you get additional basement storage where the propane tank would have been. Lastly, a residential refrigerator works much better that a propane refrigerator. In warm weather, a propane fridge can barely stay cold, and only if it is in top condition. Residential fridges are cold, period.
MRUSA14 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, purchase