Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-24-2016, 02:42 PM   #1

Monaco Owners Club
Negotiating a purchase with a dealership

We may be in a position shortly to buy a Tiffin Phaeton that we will be living in for a year or so, and then keeping for traveling after we settle down again. We have some particular features/options in mind, and I'm now trying to strategize on how to negotiate the purchase.

I have found a 2015 Phaeton online that apparently has never sold. In a few months, the 2017s will be coming out. As it happens, the features/options I want are on this rig, but I suspect that they are a combination of features that most people didn't like, which is why it didn't sell. It has:
* A gas oven and stove
* Therefore, no dishwasher
* A booth dinette
* The entertainment center/fireplace behind the driver's seat
* Therefore, only one couch (facing the TV in the entertainment center)

The dealership is NOT putting a price on the rig, and because I am not ready to buy right now, they would not tell me a price. However, assuming what they would tell me (by comparison with more or less similar 2015s I see) that it would be about $240K, based on what you all have experienced in dealing with dealers, what do you think would be a possible EXCELLENT deal that you think they would take, say in late March (assuming nobody else has bought it by then, of course)?

I saw an earlier article about 27-30% discounts that dealers are often willing to concede as a model year comes to a close, but what about when a rig is TWO model years old and NEVER sold? At that point, what price are you comparing it with anyway - low mileage resales with the more popular features (like the credenza dining table) and all electric (which I DON'T want)?

I appreciate all input!
DianaCox is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-24-2016, 03:27 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
27-30 is current year discounts, one like this s/b %40 off
jimbo2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 03:35 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to TurtleKent
No matter what the dealer says, it's still TWO years old! Only the warranty is new. Tires, roof, hoses and belts etc have all aged two years. Make sure it has a NEW title, and not a factory buy-back or was in a collision during delivery, etc.
Old 01-24-2016, 05:11 PM   #4

Monaco Owners Club
X3 on the higher discount. The tires alone will cost you ~$1-2K in cost because of aging out.
jacwjames is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 05:49 PM   #5

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Demand a price. Then, after your research, offer considerably less.
Cat320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 06:50 PM   #6

Monaco Owners Club
They sent me the build sheet. It was built FOR the dealership that currently is selling it. It appears to have never been sold (they're calling it "new").

"Make sure it has a NEW title, and not a factory buy-back or was in a collision during delivery, etc." I will check that.

"X3 on the higher discount." I'm not sure what you meant, though I do understand about the tires aging out (there are six to replace).
Old 01-24-2016, 07:19 PM   #7

A couple of months ago, I ran into a new Tiffin owner that had just purchased Tiffin's largest Class A--with the tag axle. They were out of Southern California.
They said that they phone shopped all over the U.S. But after all their efforts, the best deal they were offered was at the dealer closest to Red Bay, AL--Bankston RV in Huntsville. They had the nicest things to say about the dealer, even when they stayed at the dealership for a week waiting for all their personal belongings to arrive from CA. Bankston even fed them some nights.
Check'em out.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 08:38 PM   #8

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Send a message via ICQ to Fred and Bonnie
Regardless of the where you start, keep in mind "He who least wants to make a deal", wins.

Fred
Fred and Bonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 09:03 PM   #9

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
If you are ok with how it is equipped, and can get 40% off then take it. But if you want a motorhome that is equipped exactly how you want it, and are willing to pay a little over $200,000 for a DP then order a Nexus. They will build it to your specifications. https://nexusrv.com/
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2016, 10:13 PM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ok here is what happens. Regardless of it being two years old, and if it has never been titled, it is considered a new coach. The problem is the dealer still paid, what they paid and are going to get their money out of it. Yes you will be able to get a better deal on it but don't expect that they will take the same price as a two year old used coach. Won't happen. Like they say, there's a hind end for every seat and we will wait till that hind end walks in the door. You should be able to get 35% off on that coach.
Old 01-24-2016, 10:48 PM   #11

Wow, if I hadn't purchased my present Allegro I would have purchased that coach in a heartbeat. Almost, since 39'11" is the max I can put on my home pad, and a 40 footer just wouldn't/couldn't do. But those are the specks we insisted upon. Oven with stove top, and we had the dealer add the convection/micro (wife loves to bake on vacations with friends). Dishwasher uses too much water and washing service for 2 takes but a moment. Booth dinette was a must, it sleeps grandkids if we bring them, and there is no need to store/secure loose chairs. The fireplace really seemed like a waste, but it was there and there was really nothing we could do. But now we love it. The electric heat part is very efficient, keeping the coach cozy on cool days and evening, we are comfortable leaving it on 24/7 in campgrounds, and to be honest, the ambiance is pleasant. I could do without the 4 TVs, we rarely watch one when on vacation.
I purchased my current Tiffin from Mike Thompson RV in SoCal factory fresh at the Pomona show for approx. 28% below list. I say approx. because we added the micro and washer dryer, and the extended warranty which were all negotiated into the sale. Also there was my trade-in. So it is difficult to truly fix a selling/purchasing price. What you will pay for this magnificent vehicle will be based upon how much you are willing to pay and how much they are willing to accept. Best of luck, it is really an exceptional RV (in my most humble opinion).
Happy Trails.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 12:38 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalynzoo View Post
Wow, if I hadn't purchased my present Allegro I would have purchased that coach in a heartbeat. Almost, since 39'11" is the max I can put on my home pad, and a 40 footer just wouldn't/couldn't do. But those are the specks we insisted upon. Oven with stove top, and we had the dealer add the convection/micro (wife loves to bake on vacations with friends). Dishwasher uses too much water and washing service for 2 takes but a moment. Booth dinette was a must, it sleeps grandkids if we bring them, and there is no need to store/secure loose chairs. The fireplace really seemed like a waste, but it was there and there was really nothing we could do. But now we love it. The electric heat part is very efficient, keeping the coach cozy on cool days and evening, we are comfortable leaving it on 24/7 in campgrounds, and to be honest, the ambiance is pleasant. I could do without the 4 TVs, we rarely watch one when on vacation.
I purchased my current Tiffin from Mike Thompson RV in SoCal factory fresh at the Pomona show for approx. 28% below list. I say approx. because we added the micro and washer dryer, and the extended warranty which were all negotiated into the sale. Also there was my trade-in. So it is difficult to truly fix a selling/purchasing price. What you will pay for this magnificent vehicle will be based upon how much you are willing to pay and how much they are willing to accept. Best of luck, it is really an exceptional RV (in my most humble opinion).
Happy Trails.
Someone after my own heart! I like the booth for the same reason, as well as that I'd rather sit at the booth on my computer with cats sitting with me when we drive - it started out because I was too jumpy and kept getting scared and sharply inhaling while my husband drove our current bouncy-jouncy low-end 2005 Coachmen Mirada 30QB - cars cutting in front of us, the coach trying to jitterbug off the road, getting blown sideways by passing trucks - when I gasped, it startled him, so he banished me to the dinette, and I found out I liked it better back there.

I think you got the Allegro 38QRA, which is what we started out lusting after, and we have only switched to the Phaeton because of the bigger engine and the sideways-mounted TV/fireplace, which makes more sense facing the couch, rather than having to sit sideways or kink your neck.

What year did you get?
Old 01-25-2016, 09:49 AM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I'm in agreement with the others. It's still "new" and has a New coach warranty, but it has also depreciated substantially in market value. The day you sign the papers it becomes "used" and has the market value of a very low mileage used coach. And things like tires have aged, even though unused.

You didn't mention the model or the MSRP, but I don't think that $240k is an ok price on any 40 foot Phaeton that is approaching two years old. That's only about 20% off MSRP. But Phaetons are very popular and somebody might well snap it up at that price. If they keep it several years, the depreciation is not a major consideration.

If you can't get the price you need for that situation, tell them you will be ordering a new one instead (to your specs, of course). And not necessarily from them.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2016, 10:42 AM   #14
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
As much as people would like to think that the dealer will just give this coach away, there is a reason why they still have it......they're not giving it away!

MOST people that work a good deal will see between 23% - 28% discount. I agree with "mojoracing". A reasonable discount will be right around 35%. Make sure you know what the real MSRP is on that coach, make an offer of 38% off and start your negotiating.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
dealer, purchase