Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-19-2012, 08:43 AM   #1

Solo Rvers Club
Neighbor's Awning Severely Damaged My Coach

I was in an RV Resort and was setup next to a very nice lady that lived there full time in a 5er. She had her 30ft awning permanently staked down with straps and homemade extra braces for so long, there were vines growing up it. Long story short, while under a tornado watch, the wind pulled the stakes out of the ground and flipped it over her trailer and flung one of the legs into the side of my MH punching 2 holes in the side and one hole in the roof.

Her insurance cut her a check upon inspection and wrote me a denial letter stating no liability due to forces of nature. So I was forced to file with my Insurance and pay the $500 deductible. Total damage was almost 12k. Should I just lick my wounds and move on?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-19-2012, 08:47 AM   #2

I don't know what else you could do Although I do find it odd that it wasn't force of nature for her but it was for you.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:49 AM   #3

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Sad Story.
I had a sticks and bricks house that I owned for 18 years, we had a wind storm that blew the shingles off of the roof-my insurance company that I had for 18 years refused to pay anything claiming "Act of Nature"
Never got a dime, but did get a new insurance.
Larry & Rita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:51 AM   #4
edj

It all depends on the terms of the insurance policy one has. Her damage would come under the 'comprehensive' coverage. The damage to your motorhome would come under 'liability'.

My mother had a similiar case with her house. A tree in her yard was blown over by a 'near' hurricane wind. Damage to her property was covered. The neighbors fence was not.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:52 AM   #5

Appears that you 'were made whole' by your insurance company, save for the deductible ($500.00). Your one real world option (I'm assuming she's not going to cut you a cheque) is small claims court. But given the time involved, location of the loss, etc., is it worth it?
fredaevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 08:56 AM   #6
edj

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Appears that you 'were made whole' by your insurance company, save for the deductible ($500.00). Your one real world option (I'm assuming she's not going to cut you a cheque) is small claims court. But given the time involved, location of the loss, etc., is it worth it?
The case would probably lose in court for the same reasons the insurance denied payment.
edj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:00 AM   #7

Neighbors awning damed your trailer

Write to Highways action line to see if you can get the neighbors insurance to pay your deductible.
sam-3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 AM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by edj View Post
The case would probably lose in court for the same reasons the insurance denied payment.
I agree. To have a hope of recovering the $500 in court you would probably have to be able to show negligence on her part.
Ramblin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 11:27 AM   #9

Solo Rvers Club
Thanks everyone. I might be able to prove negligence because in the owners manual there is a warning. Something like these are designed for shade and to put them up for long periods of rain or winds in excess of 20 mph, or serious damage, injury or death could occur. Basically they are not designed to be made permanent. She is a real nice lady and I hate to sue, so I just may ask her to reimburse me for the $500. Now I have a claim on my history, which may hurt when I insurance shop and it may devalue my rig when I decide to sell it.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #10

Texas Boomers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
If the OP's insurance company goes after her insurance company through subrogation and gets them to pay, the OP should be able to recover his deductible.

Rusty
RustyJC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 12:45 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by RustyJC View Post
If the OP's insurance company goes after her insurance company through subrogation and gets them to pay, the OP should be able to recover his deductible.

Rusty
X2! My thought too...
pagosajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:23 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
American Coach Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
An act of nature is not covered under your liability portion of your policy for Bodily Injury or Property Damage. You must be legally liable for bodily injury or property damage for you liability insurance to be responsible. You may have a case due to the weather forecast on the grounds you stated but depending on her age of awning and did her brochure have the cautions depends on how legally liable she is. Small Claims may be an option but unfortunately her legal liability would be similiar due to the act of nature.

A neighbor who had a dead tree and didn't do anything about it for an extended period of time can be found liable if it falls over as an act of nature and causes damage.

Keep this in mind on "collision deductible" also for hit and run accidents or uninsured at fault accidents, a large collision deductible because you believe you will never be at fault, but sometimes things are out of your control.
jeryan59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:34 PM   #13

It's not just the $500, it's the increased premiums you will endure for the next three years due to your claim. Small claims is an easy file and I would do so, particularly if I didn't even get an apology or her offer to pay your deductible.
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #14

.........................Im going to change my answer to.......If it were me Id eat the 500 and go on with my life...The courts are tied up enuff....Things happen that are beyond anyones control......
mat 60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning