Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 07-13-2016, 02:58 PM   #1
Smile Nervous New Owner

Will be picking up our new to us Class C on Saturday. As first timers my hubby and I are more than a little anxious! There's so much info on here that's it's almost overwhelming! Our plan is to park It at a campground near our home for 1 month and spend as much time as we can getting to know our RV. My hubby is not yet retired Ian's this will allow us to come and go during the week and spend some weekends out there. Thoughts on this plan? Any other newbie ideas would also be appreciated

NuBe1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #2
Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Congratulations! I hope it's a great experience for you.

Dennis and Katherine
2000 Monaco Dynasty
barmcd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:01 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Sounds like a good plan!
Joe & Annette

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:03 PM   #4

Depending upon how near the campground is to your home, and whether or not it's allowed where you live, you might want to consider 'camping' in your driveway a night or two before moving it to the campground. That makes it really easy to run in and get the things you forgot to put in the RV.
1996 Fleetwood Southwind 34'
Podivin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:11 PM   #5
Congratulations and good luck with the new to you RV. I also want to point out that all three of your posts so far on this website could/should have all been on the same thread. It would make it easier for folks to follow what you've been up to, and not think you didn't answer some of their questions.
2014 Itasca Spirit 31K
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 03:19 PM   #6
Congrats, your plan sounds good. As you use it you will find more and more things you need or want, that's all a part of the fun. Just go use it the rest will fall into place, and you can pick things up as needed. Good luck and have many safe and happy travels.
Mike & Charlotte
2014 Newmar Canyon Star 3610
Orange County, California
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2016, 06:23 PM   #7
Jerry Dixon

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Solo Rvers Club
Depends on how much rent the campground is. Why pay rent for 7 days when you only use it there 2 days a week? If you don't have room at home for it, find free parking somewhere, maybe at a neighbor's driveway, then find free parking somewhere more pleasant for the weekends, running the A/C and generator for just a few hours a day.

2017 Itasca Solei 36G
"The 5 Shades of Gray"
Suzuki Burgman scooter on the rack
RV Vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:03 AM   #8
NuBe you will be fine. All of us started RVin with little knowledge and a perhaps a touch of anxiety. The group here will gladly help you up the learning curve. In addition, the Escapees are a wonderful support group I would recommend.
George R. - Fulltiming since January '03
2007 Newmar Mountain Aire 3991
2012 Chevy Malibu LT1
gruelens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 12:30 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
I camped at the office in my first rig to get comfortable with it. Free power, water and sewer.

I think your plan is good if it's affordable to you go for it. It has the added benefit of having more experienced campers near you to help out or just answer questions if needed. You will find most of them had the exact same questions and concerns that you do. Just might make some new friends as well.

Nothing better than getting comfortable at home or near home.

US Navy Vet, Liberty Tree Member of Oath Keepers, NRA & VFW Life Member, Alaska EMT.
2009 Safari Cheetah 40 SKQ
2009 Winnebago Chalet 231CR
sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:57 AM   #10
Coastal Campers
I don't think you are going to learn much by sitting in one place for a month. After a night or two, you are going to know everything you need to know about the coach part. Then get in it and drive somewhere. Do some rural roads, hills, mountains, and interstates.

Take it to close by campgrounds, stay in back in sites, pull through sites, uneven sites. Take it in and out of service stations and other places that may have overhead clearances to navigate. Oh, you did measure your exact overall height to the inch and have it marked clearly where the driver can refer to it easily didn't you. Find an owners group and sigh up, you'll learn more than you care to at first, but mostly it will be good information.

If you spend your month shake down on the weekends you have available, you'll build confidence and be ready to get out there and enjoy.
Thor Four Winds 22e
nosticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2016, 05:46 PM   #11
Fleetwood Owners Club
I predict in about 6 months you will be wanting to change your screen name...

2005 Discovery 39s Cat C7 330hp, AF1 brakes,
2013 Silverado Crew Cab Toad, Blue Ox Towbar
montyhp is offline   Reply With Quote