Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-02-2018, 05:18 PM   #15

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Noob2RVs View Post
I really like these vans!

Only downside I see so far is closest dealer is 4 hours away.

Not a deal breaker though! Thanks!
I live in Florida...fly out of Miami.

I bought our previous 5th Wheel from a dealer in Batavia, OH...and our current Class A from a dealer in Garfield, MN...but had factory pickup in Nappanee, IN.

You can jumpseat/non-rev to a place nearby and rent a car or go Uber...

Don’t let something as small as the United States keep you from shopping around.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-02-2018, 05:49 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Further on the unit linked, I absolutely find the solar capability very interesting! If the A/C will run from the LIon battery, that's totally neat.

However, solar needs the sun, and Miami summers have got to be brutal, so parking it in the sun might not be ideal. I would leery that the A/C could keep up with the heat, however at night, that might not be too bad.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 05:59 AM   #17

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
I agree a lot can change, but I feel comfortable with a 20 year old Mercedes......i still have my Mercedes 1981 300d as an airport car--288,000 miles, engine still hums right along!
I was referring to your need for space and accommodations, mostly.
2022 F350 DRW King Ranch 4 x 4
Scottybdivin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:06 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.Martin View Post
I live in Florida...fly out of Miami.

I bought our previous 5th Wheel from a dealer in Batavia, OH...and our current Class A from a dealer in Garfield, MN...but had factory pickup in Nappanee, IN.

You can jumpseat/non-rev to a place nearby and rent a car or go Uber...

Don’t let something as small as the United States keep you from shopping around.

C. Martin are you a CA or FO on the 767--there were two in the member lookup and don't know which was you, I was going to see if you you could chat about a few things.
Noob2RVs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 06:08 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by plasma800 View Post
Further on the unit linked, I absolutely find the solar capability very interesting! If the A/C will run from the LIon battery, that's totally neat.

However, solar needs the sun, and Miami summers have got to be brutal, so parking it in the sun might not be ideal. I would leery that the A/C could keep up with the heat, however at night, that might not be too bad.

I talked to a dealer and was told there is an aftermarket system with a self contained generator and a/c unit.....I am trying to find it online now.....its about 10 grand, but runs on the diesel from your gas tank, or a separate tank...like you would find on a yacht.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:11 AM   #20

Quote:
I talked to a dealer and was told there is an aftermarket system with a self contained generator and a/c unit.....I am trying to find it online now.....its about 10 grand, but runs on the diesel from your gas tank, or a separate tank...like you would find on a yacht.

This looks like the best way to go right here!

Sprinter Generator - Mercedes Sprinter Diesel Generators and Solutions

Anyone ever seen, used one, or know someone who has?

Thanks to all of you for your kind and thoughtful responses.
Old 02-03-2018, 06:36 AM   #21

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
C. Martin are you a CA or FO on the 767--there were two in the member lookup and don't know which was you, I was going to see if you you could chat about a few things.
PM sent...
Old 02-03-2018, 09:40 AM   #22

Check out this one. Posted yesterday on Craigslist. Looks like it will fit all your needs.

https://lexington.craigslist.org/rvs...482001267.html

Only drawback I can see, is that I would prefer a diesel generator instead of propane as the LP genny's tend to burn through fuel pretty quick. Plus the rig is already diesel, so you could just run out of the existing fuel tank. You could always consider upgrading to a small diesel in the future if this works out for you. It comes in WAY under you max budget too! Keep us advised
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:25 AM   #23

If you want to check out a couple who full time out of a Class B look into ‘We’re The Russo’s ‘ on YouTube on website! One of their episodes goes into detail of their class b...
CampFire Junkies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:33 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Quote:
This looks like the best way to go right here!

Sprinter Generator - Mercedes Sprinter Diesel Generators and Solutions

Anyone ever seen, used one, or know someone who has?

Thanks to all of you for your kind and thoughtful responses.
.22 Gallons Per hour at full load, that's not bad. Every three to four hours of use you would burn approx 1 gallon of diesel. You could run that against the tank size and know how long you could go before filling up.

You're for sure going to need a place to dump the tanks. Are you planning more on using facilities at the airport rather than in the unit? If so, you could make those tanks stretch a whole lot further. I have no idea what kind of accommodations pilots get at the airport, but I would imagine you can shower, shave and all that stuff in a pilot private area at the airport?
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'5 Fleetwood Revolution- '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
Jay, Andrea, Stella '14 Ram 3500 Aisin '18 ORV F30RLS
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 10:48 AM   #25

Foretravel Owners Club
I "lived out of a suitcase" and averaged 300 to 340 days a year on the road (NOT home every week or month) for nearly 50 years driving trucks.
The little bit of extra room (and more importantly the additional storage for your clothes & "stuff", a "real" bed, and a "real" generator with heat & AC) is very important.
Most (If not all) of the class "B's" are a severe compromise for storage, heat and AC, and they over time seem to "shrink" around you.

For a 20 year span of usage, You will need the highest quality of build with the best components available, otherwise in 3 to 5 years will have to be replacing with another RV.

You "might" want to step up just a bit when wanting something that will last the 20 yrs or so... mebbe something like this?
And yes it has a larger shower and fridge, AND a "real" genset to power a "real" A/C unit...
Will "fit" in most parking spots..
check out the spec's listed... Older models are a bit less costly. (this one was the first I found in a quick search..
These do have shorter models, but I didn't take the time to search further..

2017 Born Free Royal Splendor 29DS Priced at $ 139500
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:10 PM   #26

My rig sounds perfect for the OP, so I'll recommend a new model year unit... a Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5210. https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/prod...ser/model/5210

Video: https://youtu.be/aixF2PMvFEk

Here's why I think that it's perfect based on the original post:

At 22 ft., it fits in a regular parking space. A standard on-board Onan 4000 watt generator is a solid performer, and would run from the very large vehicle gasoline tank. The Ford engines and E series chassis are very known, dependable and reliable. I think gas is a better choice for the OP, since it won't be driven much. Diesel will significantly increase the initial costs. This rig has large waste tanks too, that will last 1 person an decent amount of time. I recommend the sofa/dinette option instead of the sofa/sofa, but that is a individual decision. It is more spacious on the inside than a usual class B which are based on the Sprinter, Ram ProMaster, and Transit euro thin vans. Those units are often very expensive and limit you to a small wet bath. Instead, this B+, is more roomy, but more affordable, while still being of great quality.

Good luck with your search.
WA Larry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:19 PM   #27

Foretravel Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA Larry View Post
My rig sounds perfect for the OP, so I'll recommend a new model year unit... a Gulf Stream BT Cruiser 5210. https://www.gulfstreamcoach.com/prod...ser/model/5210

Here's why I think that it's perfect based on the original post:

At 22 ft., it fits in a regular parking space. A standard on-board Onan 4000 watt generator is a solid performer, and would run from the very large vehicle gasoline tank. The Ford V-10 and E series chassis are very known, dependable and reliable. I think gas is a better choice for the OP, since it won't be driven much. Diesel will significantly increase the initial costs. This rig has large waste tanks too, that will last 1 person an decent amount of time. I recommend the sofa/dinette option instead of the sofa/sofa, but that is a individual decision. It is more spacious on the inside than a usual class B which are based on the Sprinter, Ram ProMaster, and Transit euro thin vans. Those units are often very expensive and limit you to a small wet bath. Instead, this B+, is more roomy, but more affordable, while still being of great quality.

Good luck with your search.
Looks do-able..but just not a fan of having to sleep on a couch... OP sleeps on them when he has to during work breaks.. should have a real bed... but that's just my opinion.
SKP's of Box Elder, South Dakota
saddlesore is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #28

I would go stare crazy in a class B unless I was constantly on the move.
Have you considered buying a mobile home with a lot you could drive to and from? These can be had often times reasonably, won't depreciate like a class B and you will have something of value left when you decide you don't need it anymore. You could also rent out a room to a fellow pilot who is in the same position you are in.
No noisy generator to keep you and others around you from a good night's sleep.
Lynn

Tags
advice