Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-18-2013, 03:24 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
New 2011 MH

We are looking at a "new" 2011 MH. I'm a little leery about buying one that has sat for possibly 2 years. Price is right, no real depreciation loss driving off the lot, just concerned with it sitting so long. Anyone have any experience with this type of purchase?

Neal and Deb + Mya and Gizmo, the pup's
2003 Winnebago Sightseer 30B

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-18-2013, 04:01 PM   #2
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
If it's on a dealer lot, they must have moved it around periodically to "exercise" the tires and run the engine. I would think it's fine.

Dealers move their inventory around quite a bit and I'm sure it's been test driven periodically. You could ask them about that.

You might want to ask why it's still sitting around after 2 years. That's quite a while for them to be paying to have something sitting on their lot.

What kind/brand/model is it? Give us some specs.

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:24 PM   #3
Thor Owners Club
We bought a 2008 tag axle DP at the end of 2009 -- had been sitting at the dealer for about a year and a half, though they had put almost 3000 miles on it taking it to shows. This particular dealer had over-invested in a number of mid-to-higher-end coaches (Mandalay, Country Coach, and Foretravel) at the worst possible time. A new GM came in and started aggressively marketing their inventory, including listing on Ebay.

We got a great price, and since we were the first titled owner, it was warranteed as new. We took a brief shakedown trip, and created a longish punch list, including new house batteries. All items were taken care of to our satisfaction.

Since then, we've put on another 15k miles or so, including a couple of trips to factory service, all under warranty. Our experience has been good -- we got a lot of cautionary advice about buying a coach with "lot rot," but overall it was an opportunity to buy a coach with size and features we otherwise couldn't have afforded. If you do it, just be careful, and get the dealer to agree to fix anything that scares you.
Crabby Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2013, 04:52 PM   #4
We did and have zero regrets...the price break was substantial...our dealer replaced all batteries, changed all fluids. Coach's move around a good bit...shows mainly. Ours had 1600 miles on it and genset had about 180 hours on it...
Fish Carver
"Tessie" the 2011 Itasca Meridian 40U
Toad: 2015 Chevy Calorado
Jim Estes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 03:07 AM   #5
Fleetwood Owners Club
I bought my 2008 Class A at the end of 09. Mine didn't get moved enough and the tires had flat spotted. The dealer covered that. I had no issues with anything else that you could attribute to sitting for a year and a half. What I did like was the substantial price break. They took my class C trade sight unseen and took a good chunk off the price of the new rig.
wydglydrydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:42 AM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
I would think the tires and batteries are the 2 items that would be most suspect in this case, but if the dealer did their due diligence in starting and moving the MH, these items should be fine.

As others have alluded to, these items have useful lives that are not necessarily totally tied to the number of miles. For example tires have a useful life of around 7 years. Due to exposure to sunlight and chemicals leaching from the surface it is parked on, many, if not most tires are replaced before the useful tread life has been used.

Same with batteries. They generally have life cycles whether maintained or not. Each battery is different.
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:11 AM   #7

Entegra Owners Club
Agree with the above about doing your due diligence. Had a very bad experience traveling across the country to purchase a left over 2008 Essex in 2010. Thing was riddled with electronic issues (suspension), chassis (exhaust fumes and batteries), electrical (12v master relay) that didn't start appear until I got the coach home. I'm convinced that sitting on the lot for 2+ years (it was built early in the model year) didn't help it any, even if the dealer took it around for rallies. Software updates to some of the electronics were not installed. Batteries mistakenly allowed to discharge and sit in the cold. My lesson was not to trust the dealer to take "tender loving care" of his inventory. Fortunately, it was the last year that Newmar offered a two year warranty. After we worked with Newmar to clear the repair work with the local dealer ("why didn't you buy it here?"), we got everything squared away. It took nearly a year and a half to work through all of the issues. Oh, and the DW hated the interior... ah, that's another story.

2013 Entegra Cornerstone 45K
2012 Cadillac SRX and 2014 H-D FLHTK
P&GD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:26 AM   #8
I bought our 2010 Fleetwood Bounder in October 2012 after the coach had sat on the dealer's lot for over 900 days. I've only had a couple of problems, such as the windshield wiper fluid hoses at the windshield wiper were split.

I an happy with our purchase, as we received a 42% break on the purchase price (off MSRP). The dealer took the depreciation hit.

Oscar Mike is offline   Reply With Quote