Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2015, 09:20 PM   #1

New 2015 Good Sam Campground Directory

Just wondering how many of you have received your new 2015 Good Sam Directory and found out what a waste of money it is? Two of the CGs we use in Colorado had the whole sum of 3 1/2 lines telling about the CG. Only gave opening dates, GS rating, phone number, and camping fees. Nothing about the number or size of campsites, utility hookups (20,30, or 50 amps, Wifi, or cable), or recreational facilities. I thought it was bad enough when they eliminated showing whether the CG water source was city or well water but now unless the CG is a Good Sam member it's just about useless. Maybe I'm just using the wrong CGs.

It's thicker than my 2012 (last one I ordered) so with what was eliminated I haven't been able to tell yet what's taking up all the space.
wagonmaster2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-06-2015, 09:49 AM   #2

Very interesting, Thanks.
I use my directory (2013 or 14?) as a general reference for the area. Then I search campgroundreviews.com for peer to peer comments. If I am planning for a trip and have time I will then seek out the campgrounds website and view their pictures.
But thanks for your comments, I will definitely look at the directory before thinking about purchasing one this year.
kalynzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

I'll usually ask or use rvparkreviews also.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #4

The directory size was complained about a LOT last year when Trailer Life/Woodalls combined. Evidently, nothing was done about it. It was way too big to handle.

They included so much travel information on what to see/do in the big city areas. Nowadays, we can all get that information on the web or even in the local town visitor centers. This is supposed to be a campground directory, not a travel book!

It was also suggested to break the book in half for east and west of the Mississippi for more ease in handling. This wasn't done.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:10 AM   #5

I guess some people will find anything to complain about. We were given the directory for free last time we were in the CW in Tucson. We use it as one of the resources when planning a trip. More information is always better
datrbone8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 11:40 AM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Hi wagonmaster2,
I am surprised at your post. Each CG determines what will be in their directory entry. It all comes down to $s. The more the CG has in their entry the more they pay. The bottom line is the entry is not a GS decision. It is a CG decision.
Nobody Knows Your Coach Like Somebody Who Owns One Just Like Yours
GaryKD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2015, 08:36 PM   #7

The Good Sam/Rand McNally GPS has the CG directory in the software, and is updated from the Rand McNally website when the GPS is attached to the RM DOCK software on my computer.
So now, my paper edition is only used for RV park planning purposes, and I do most of that using campgroundreviews.com
2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA IN 1SG 11B5MX,Infantry retired;Good Sam Life member,FMCA." My fellow Americans, ask not what your country can do for you, ask what you can do for your country. John F. Kennedy
Ray,IN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 05:00 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
For the most part, I really use anybodys paperback campground directory, thin, thick or delivered on a silver tray. I get the one from KOA, toss it in the cabinet above the drivers seat and discard the old one seldom ever opening them up. I use Google Search long before I start my trip and get the informations mentioned above from the campground web site and RV Park Reviews. What's even better with Google is that I can do an overhead on the park and locate gas stations and determine if I'm able to get my unit towing either a trailer or dolly in and out.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2015, 07:01 PM   #9
WDW

I see it as good reading in the Kohler reading parlor. Serious research is done on line. But the maps are sized in a handy format.

Taking in the sights with our Trolley ...but life is always better under a Palm Tree
2015 JAYCO 31FK

Western New York
WDW is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
campground