Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-16-2016, 09:06 AM   #15

If you have time and wouldn't mind sharing, we'd love to know the names of the places you liked. I'll put them away in my file for future reference. :-) Thanks!

fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-16-2016, 04:03 PM   #16
If you're last question is about Alaska you'll want to drive all the roads you can to see everything. You can't get lost. You'll be going in a circle with side roads to the Seward/Homer area along with Valdez, Haines and Skagway. Do those and Anchorage, Fairbanks, Dawson City and you won't miss much.

There are many pull-offs at beautiful spots along a river or lake. Stop for lunch or spend the night! Alaska is your destination but don't hurry through Canada and the Yukon to get there. All of it has much to offer.

Start scouring Alaskan threads on these forums. There's an ongoing one every year of folks going that summer. Many of them meet up as they travel but they go alone. It's on RV.net in the Alaska section. Check them out. Read all you can before your trip and when it's time to go ask detailed questions.

Full-timed for 16 Years
. . . Back in S&B Again
Traveled in a 2004 Newmar Dutch Star 40' Diesel
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:36 PM   #17
Originally Posted by fiddleddd View Post
Hi everyone,
We just took delivery of our new Redwood 5th wheel. It has a residential refrigerator, which is huge! I doubt that we'll fill it up, and I'm wondering how you secure your food. I know about the spring-loaded bars you can install in the front to keep things from falling out. But do you need to use all plastic storage containers? We generally don't use plastic at home.....we prefer the glass storage containers with lids. What would you recommend using?

Also, how do you store your drinking glasses, wine glasses, etc? Will they remain stable on the shelf while towing? Or do you need to put them in a tub or put packing between them so they don't break? Sorry, I just don't know how much bumping around to expect when towing. We had a travel trailer prior to this, but we used plastic glasses and such. I would much prefer to use glass. This will be our 'home' for 6 months of the year, and I'd rather use better dishes.

Are you able to leave heavy items like a coffee maker, Vita-Mix, etc. out on the counter? Or should I secure them on the floor or in a cabinet?

Are there any other packing/storage ideas you've found to be helpful? I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks so much!
For the fridge. We use Rubbermaid storage containers or ziplock bags (but we only have the RV double.
Dishes, my parents have Corelle with paper towels in between (Tiffen MH). For glasses while traveling Mom put them in socks (mostly wine glasses).
Keurig sits in the shower.
Pots and pans that nest and are induction capable (induction plate unless your stove is). (Cheaper and quicker than gas)

Congratz and good luck with it.
2015 F350 Lariat Diesel Dually, White, Hitch Kit.
2013 Dutchman Voltage 3200 Epic II 5th wheel.
BCooke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:50 PM   #18
two gypsies

Thanks so much. Yes, I guess there would be RV'ers posting about their travels to Alaska. I'll definitely search for them. Thanks so much!!!
fiddleddd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 06:31 PM   #19
One thing we do in addition to the other suggestions here is use the plastic air-filled 'pillows' that come in boxes from Amazon to help secure items in the refer.

'15 Lifestyle 39 FB '15 RAM 3500 Laramie Ltd MegaCab 4X4 6.7L Cummins, Aisin trans, 4.10 gears Andersen Ultimate
NW Explorers is offline   Reply With Quote

5th wheel, ems