Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-08-2016, 05:07 AM   #1

New 5th wheel....questions about securing items

Hi everyone,
We just took delivery of our new Redwood 5th wheel. It has a residential refrigerator, which is huge! I doubt that we'll fill it up, and I'm wondering how you secure your food. I know about the spring-loaded bars you can install in the front to keep things from falling out. But do you need to use all plastic storage containers? We generally don't use plastic at home.....we prefer the glass storage containers with lids. What would you recommend using?

Also, how do you store your drinking glasses, wine glasses, etc? Will they remain stable on the shelf while towing? Or do you need to put them in a tub or put packing between them so they don't break? Sorry, I just don't know how much bumping around to expect when towing. We had a travel trailer prior to this, but we used plastic glasses and such. I would much prefer to use glass. This will be our 'home' for 6 months of the year, and I'd rather use better dishes.

Are you able to leave heavy items like a coffee maker, Vita-Mix, etc. out on the counter? Or should I secure them on the floor or in a cabinet?

Are there any other packing/storage ideas you've found to be helpful? I'd appreciate any suggestions/advice. Thanks so much!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-08-2016, 05:22 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
When I owned a 5er we did use plastic containers for storage in the refrigerator, but found no problem with other items, also used the spring bars. Glasses were on rubberized shelve mats, no issue there. The coffee maker had as most do, rubber feet on the bottom and never traveled around or fallen. If you go to a rubber mat type shelve liner you'll have no problems with glassware. However this is in ideal conditions, one never knows. Safe travels.

US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:12 AM   #3

Newmar Owners Club
We take things off the counter and put in a space below or place on the floor just to be safe. As far as glassware - cups/glasses, I use paper towels as "buffers" and rattle stoppers (motorhome) We will always end up using the towels at some point. We don't carry real glass glasses and use the clear insulated glasses that never break. Our coffee cups have never broken and basically a full cabinet can't move very much anyway. hope this helps -mark
Old 04-08-2016, 07:53 AM   #4

In our 5er we use the spring loaded bars for both the refrigerator and some of the items stored in the cabinets. Everything is taken off of the counter tops and put away in the overhead cabinets with short spring load bars place in the cabinet to hold them in place. We also use throw pillows in the cabinets to prevent rattling and bouncing of the dinnerware and coffee cups. The drinking glasses are plastic with some disposal drinking cups being used in the bathroom for bushing teeth.

We do not use glassware because it easily shatters when dropped.

One item to look for when you open up the slides after reaching your destination is to check the inside of the trailer for doors and drawers that have opened up during travel. This sometimes occurs and you can damage them because they can become trapped behind a slide wall trim. On our old Cougar we always had one cabinet door that would open up regardless how we tried to keep it closed. This door would get caught on the sidewall trim and would have failed if we did not check the insides when opening up.
Old 04-08-2016, 04:40 PM   #5

As full-timers we used glassware for our dishes, cups, glasses and wineglasses because it's our home. We didn't have anything break while traveling. In use, yes, because of clumsiness.

The secret is to not leave a lot of space in your cabinets. If you have space, fill it up by buying a large package of paper towels or toilet paper and use them to fill in the spaces. Or store extra towels as buffers in these places. Wine glasses traveled upside down, not on their stem side.

We didn't keep things stored on our counters. We did keep one small lamp on our desk and we used poster putty on the bottom of it. It rode without moving for 8 years.

For your refrigerator I'd suggest before driving off to perhaps move as much as you can onto one shelf - the bottom one, if possible, instead of spreading them out with lots of space. If you still have a lot of unused space, perhaps filling the space with beer or pop cans. Good luck!
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 08:44 PM   #6

Thanks, everyone!

Gee, thanks for the suggestions! You can tell you all are experienced at this. I guess we'll figure it all out eventually, but I'd rather figure it out BEFORE we have a mishap or something falls out of a cabinet and breaks. :-) So we appreciate the advice. Any other hints and tips welcomed. :-)
Old 04-08-2016, 11:06 PM   #7
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"fiddleddd".......You'll fill it up as soon as people realize you have a nice cold, reliable refer with room.

We still drink soda, so we bought one of those plastic trays that stacks them on their side. We also bought a small plastic tray that holds our condiments since some are in glass bottles. The rest of the stuff we just place in the refer and haven't had any issues.

With that said, it depends on where the refer is in your new 5th wheel. A teeter totter effect in a trailer can cause some things to be thrown around, especially in a rear kitchen trailer.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Where is your kitchen located? If it is ahead of the axles closer to the hitch it will ride fairly smoothly. In a rear kitchen config the ride will be much wilder, so be prepared to strap things down tighter.

Glenn
Old 04-09-2016, 01:16 PM   #9

New 5th wheel....questions about securing items

We are full timers and leave nothing on the counter. Everything has a place for storage while traveling. We use shelf liner and really have no issues with things moving in the cabinets. We do use a couple of baskets in our RV fridge and we have never had an issue there either. The only exception to this was on our trip to Alaska. We drove very conservatively and still had things shift around no matter how carefully we stowed them. I always turned the microwave turn table over onto a piece on non skid liner. On our Alaska trip, the microwave door came open, the turntable fell out, and the door slammed closed. Nothing broke. I now store it on the bed. And we have Moryde IS suspension on our 5th wheel.
Old 04-09-2016, 04:13 PM   #10

Dutch Star Don and Glenn & Kathy

Our kitchen is in the middle of the RV, so the refer is just slightly in front of the axle. So I guess that's a good thing. And there is a 'lock' on the refer doors so it can't pop open. I guess the storage containers are the way to go, and then still just carefully open the refer when we arrive at our destination. Thanks so much!
Old 04-09-2016, 04:15 PM   #11

jpharley

Wow! We're planning a long trip to Alaska in the next year or two. Sounds like the roads are terrible up there. I would never have thought about the glass tray in the microwave. We'll watch for that. Thanks for the tip!
Old 04-09-2016, 06:12 PM   #12

Don't be afraid of the Alaska trip. Yes, you'll encounter construction/gravel areas just like you could in the lower 48. There are a few sections of frost heave but these areas are usually marked with a red flag or cone. After you go through one you'll know what to look for from a distance - a wavy road.

The secret to making the trip is to allow plenty of time so you're not tempted to drive normal highway speeds. You'll be driving much slower but that's good... you can enjoy the scenery and critters more!

Many stories you hear of bad roads are passed down from many years ago. Things are much different nowadays.

....got kind of off target!

For your refrigerator, definitely keep things in a rectangle box of some sort. We even use one to hold all our lunch fixings. Then all we have to do is pull out one thing.
twogypsies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:01 PM   #13

twogypsies

We're going to Alaska no matter what! Bad roads or not! :-) Thanks for the tip on keeping lunch fixings in a separate container. It's especially a good idea for us because we have a French door style refrigerator and can only open the right side of it without putting out the slides, so that idea will work well for us! Thanks!
Old 04-10-2016, 10:01 AM   #14

There are some awesome places to stop for lunch on your journey to Alaska. We are going back in 2017. Alaska is the only place in our full time travels that I have wanted to live.

Tags
5th wheel, ems