Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
New ADCO tyvek cover

Just purchased a cover for my TT. Reading old posts, I'm not sure if this was a smart purchase or not but that is a discussion best left for a different thread. One common theme is that they rip. My TT has a winged type tv antenna that does not retract. Seems like this could be a good place for the cover to wear thru. Has anyone put a cover over an antenna like this? The only solution I can come up with is to wrap it up in a towel. Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-21-2012, 10:56 AM   #2

Good idea,if you live in a big snow area you might want to thing about the weight of snow on the cover pushing down on the ant. I had one and it ripped on the ends of my slides. It lasted about 3 years using it part time.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:09 AM   #3

Thor Owners Club
Last year I bought the same cover from CW. We have the bat wing that retracts against the roof. I didn't have much of an issue with any things on the roof such as the antenna, a/c, etc. My issue came about from sharp things like the points where the stairs fold up and the rear metal bumper. I've figured out that it was the wind/breeze flapping the loose material against these pointed (not even necesssarily sharp) parts, caused it to wear thru. The material on the roof is thicker (stronger). Too me its worth it if it last only 3 years as after gone thru a rainy winter and having to clean the roof and black streaks on the rig it was nice to take the cover off this spring and have the rig looking like the day I put the cover on 4 months before. I ended up taping the grey foam pipe insulating material on the pointy ends where I observed wear, about 3/4 of the way thru the winter, but I had already suffered some minor damage.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:53 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

I never heard of a batwing antenna that doesn't fold down - unless it is broken. You couldn't travel with it standing upright.

But even one of the low profile types could cause a wear problem as the winter winds ripple the cover. Any place it can rub is a potential problem.
Summers in Black Mountain, NC
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:08 PM   #5
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
If he's got a new or late model TT, it could be one of these types (Jack), they don't go up & down, just rotate:

It might be a pain, but can you take the antenna off the roof? That's what we did with the radio/cb antenna, our batwing antenna & the solar panel. I wouldn't wrap it in a towel because it will draw/hold moisture & you don't want that.

Lori-
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV EX-L AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2012, 05:28 PM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Yes Lori you are correct. That looks like my antenna. The TT is one month old and o my rotates. Jam really second guessing if the cover is worth taking out of the box.
Old 08-21-2012, 06:06 PM   #7
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Over winter storage, we covered our MH for several years before we built our RV port. It was a bear to wrestle on, but it did keep it nice & protected, although it took me until the last year to finally get all the projections covered or removed that would cause a rip or poke through (just look at the ADCO cover album in my photos). Used a couple of cut up pool noodles to pad the pointy things we couldn't take off.

Lori-
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
Old 08-21-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Those are scary pictures.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:55 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Yeah, to protect we put the racketball ball on that metal thingy ("technical term") that stuck out on the end of the awning & it still broke through. Who knew a rubber racketball could do that! Granted, I believe we had an exceptionally windy winter that 1st year we had the cover, but geesh!

Lori-
Old 08-23-2012, 02:44 PM   #10

Workhorse Chassis Owner
An inverted plastic pail or cardboard box? Homemade foam box or some such. I've done 'em all at one time or another. I cover the bottom edges with foam noodles at the roof surface.
Old 08-23-2012, 06:39 PM   #11

Been thru a handful of covers and and one thing is bound to happen, they rip and won't stop ripping. Its pretty darn hard to go over the complete RV to find sharp points etc. Wind is a different story all together.
Old 08-23-2012, 07:42 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
I too have an Addco cover, overall I am very pleased with it as we use it year round. The Colorado sun is almost as bad as the snow. Like everyone I have found that you can't even begin to figure out all of the points that might cause a tear or rip. What I have done, in addtion to towels, noodles, blankets etc is to repair each spot as soon as I see it with awning repair tape. By putting it on both sides of the rip/tear I can stop the rip from spreading and protect the coach.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:13 PM   #13

upside down close baskets is what I use for things sticking above the roof line that need to be covered to avoid cover damage.
Old 08-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
I have an Adco cover, and what I noticed after the first winter was, the corners of the awning, all the drip gutter corners, the air horns, and a few other sharp spots I'm probably forgetting, ALL poked holes thru the cover. I was a bit perturbed, BUT- since then, that's how I know the cover's in the "correct position", and all those things poking thru keep the cover from moving around. None of the holes have gotten any bigger, and the rest of the cover is still like like new after 2 winters and the best part of one summer...

PlayItForwrd is offline   Reply With Quote