Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #15

called my insurance company on my way back to meet hubby at the accident scene plus called them back sunday evening, we started the claim but I have to call this morning to talk to claims department because it was sunday so they were closed. I want to get the insurance adjuster scheduled so we can get this fixed asap

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-08-2013, 08:00 AM   #16
RV Mutant #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Freightliner Owners Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Contact, contact, contact your insurance company. You have no idea if the other person has the proper coverage. You should be covered by your uninsured/under-insured coverage and if the other party does not come through, your insurance will kick in. This should not affect your rates as you are not at fault. Most insurance companies want to be notified within 24 hours. Make sure you tell them that you were not at fault. They will have that once they get the police report.

Now, with that said, it looks like your "scratch" is repairable. You can now sit back and relax. The next "scratch" will not feel so bad.

It is what it is, and then it is what you make of it.
Wayne M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 08:15 AM   #17

The problem in dealing with your own insurance company is that they will probably make you pay the deductible. Get this cleared up first if you go that route. Me, I'd probably keep my insurance co out of it unless I encountered problems.

Another thing to go after is "loss of use" and "diminished value". This is where you could get cross-wise with the other insurance company. You will probably loose the rest of the summer season getting this settled and repaired. What looks like a minor repair can become quite alot of work. I'd also insist on using a repair shop that specializes in RV's.

So to summarize, since this wasn't your fault:

Make sure you don't get stuck paying a deductible
Get something to compensate you for the loss of use of your RV
Get something for the extra depreciation for being a damaged RV

Good luck!
Old 07-08-2013, 12:29 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Well, thank the Lord that your letting us know about it from other than a hospital bed.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 12:39 PM   #19

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post
The problem in dealing with your own insurance company is that they will probably make you pay the deductible. Get this cleared up first if you go that route. Me, I'd probably keep my insurance co out of it unless I encountered problems.
This is simply wrong. If the other person was at fault, THEY will be responsible for all costs.

But even more important:
If you have a loss (especially of this magnitude) and don't report it to your insurance company, you have breached your contract with them. It matters not who's at fault, or even if you and the perp settle things between yourselves. And if there's another company involved, yours WILL find out about it.

To keep your insurer in the dark about such things is a surefire way to get your rates raised, or even have your coverage canceled. At the very least it will mean a permanent black mark on your insurance record.
Old 07-08-2013, 03:52 PM   #20

After talking with a laywer who goes to church with us and handled my husbands car accident when he was tboned we are letting our insurance take care of it and yes I will have to pay the 250.00 deductible but will receive it back.

I thought since this is a property damage type claim that I will only get the cost of the repair and deductible back and no other compensation, how would I go about the lost time and depreciation of the rv from accident?

we will be getting the truck and hitch/bars looked at also for damage
Old 07-08-2013, 03:56 PM   #21

Thor Owners Club
Pond Piggies Club
Quote:
I keep hammering on this point because I can tell you from my own experience that the number one thing that will hurt you with your insurance company is to NOT inform/involve them immediately in the event of a loss. No matter who's responsible. And the blot on your record will follow you around from company to company, too.
I see you already did this good...

Back about 5 years ago a guy pulled out of a parking lot onto a 40mph 4 lane road which I was in the right lane. At about 75 feet out I noticed we was not looking my way and pulled out and caught my trailer about a foot back from the front corner, taking out my awning arm and tearing off the trailers wheel skirt trim....( pic ) then the officer arrived the old guy said I was in his lane...I said "dude you were in the parking lot and you didn't see I had this big white box ( RV trailer) behind me". When I got home I called his insurance company first...

The next day they agreed to cover it. It ended up they cut me a check for $4000....I ended up replacing the fender shirt, new awning arm. The cost was so high because they wanted to replace the door and frame plus repaint that side of the trailer. I ended spending about 30 minutes with rubbing compound to rub out the bumper marks on the side of the trailer and straighten the trim that went around the door. Now where the awning arm was attached to the trailer, it did take out some fiberglass, so the dealer put a 4" x 4" piece of diamond plate there so the new awning arm could be attached. All this cost me $800....

Like others said pick a bodyshop that does fiberglass work. I wouldn't be surprised the bill will be well over $5000 because they are going to have to repaint 2 sides of your trailer. And with the decals...that is going to be tricky....They may talk you into painting just the repair areas, but it will be hard to match that color. Since your tt was new and there is no fading, the factory should be able to give the repair facility the paint code.

Personally I would fix the light, temporally seal off the exposed damage, and use your RV the rest of the season....Why should you lose the use of your RV for the rest of the season. Because once it goes to the shop, it may be gone for a month or 3 months. I'm sure you had other plans for the season.
IRV2 Photo Album ~Let's Go Places~
Superslif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM   #22

All claims are a matter of negotiation.

You have to make the demand or request to the insurance company. They are not going to offer it. That's why it may be better to negotiate with their insurance company directly and not fight with your own company.

In fact, just because your insurance company could go after them, they may not recover your deductible. I've known people who have only got recovery because they constantly dogged their company until it payed up. It took quite a long time, as there always seemed to be some kind of excuse.

Further, whatever false information that is being put out in this thread as fact, you are only required to report an accident to your insurance company if you are at fault. Also, rules vary by state, so asking your lawyer friend what to do is a good idea. But whatever you do, don't just trust that your own insurance company will go to bat for you to get a maximum recovery. It's in their interest to keep the claim low to minimize their risk in recovery from the other parties. Often times they end up negotiating out with the other company and if they fall short, consider that a claim by you and adjust your rates accordingly. That does not seem fair, but that's how it sometimes works.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM   #23

Vintage RV Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

Further, whatever false information that is being put out in this thread as fact, you are only required to report an accident to your insurance company if you are at fault. Also, rules vary by state, so asking your lawyer friend what to do is a good idea.
The requirement to report to your insurance company isn't a matter of law- it's a contract you have with them. I've never heard of any company that didn't have that requirement.

And since the O.P. is with Farmers and I have some experience with them, I can tell you without fear of contradiction that hers most definitely does.

Not that it matters, since she's evidently already contacted them, as advised to do by her lawyer.
Old 07-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jesilvas View Post

Anything is fixable, and that def. is.
New trim, fiberglass work, lights, decals too. Not really a big deal.
In addition to the fiberglass work I see broken pieces of wood - if it's a wood frame trailer they will need to remove that entire section of skin and rebuild the frame. They should also check for anything that has shifted on the inside due to the impact - cabinet doors, drawers, walls, etc. The fiberglass, lights, trim, bumper, etc. are just the finishing touches on the entire job. I'd hazard a guess that we're looking at more than a couple of thousand dollars worth of repairs.

If you have to cancel any travel plans because of the incident then the insurance should cover any losses there as well - campground reservation fees, etc.

Glad to hear nobody was hurt physically!
Good Sam Member #566004 * FMCA Member #F431612
Alan_Hepburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:17 AM   #25
Community Moderator

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
After 30 plus years in the auto claim department (for State Farm, as it happens), it will be a lot less stress on you to just let State Farm handle this for you. They will pay for the repairs less your deductible. If you can confirm the identity of the other insurance company and can contact them they may be willing to pay your deductible to you immediately so you'll not be out anything. State Farm will go after them once the claim is paid for reimbursement.

The BIG difference between working with your own insurance carrier and theirs is, you have a contract with yours that dictates what is expected and required of them. You have no contract with the other company and they have no direct obligation to you. Their only responsibility and obligation is to their policy holder and that is to protect them from the financial consequences of their negligence. Usually that will include reimbursement of your repair costs and related expenses but it is more open to interpretation and negotiation than it will be when working with your own company.

The exception would be for any loss, or portion thereof, for which you are not covered. Your deductible is one portion that you are not covered for.
2017 GMC Acadia toad
JMonroe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:36 AM   #26

What happens before it gets fixed? Are you unable to keep camping or do they get you a loaner or what? Do they get it into a shop and get you back on the road PDQ? Do they do a bandaid temporary fix to keep you going? I was told by a dealer here that they schedule their insurance claims like this for the winter time when it's slower and have more time for it. I know from experience that dealers can take forever just to get simple warranty work done. Maybe it depends somewhat on your particular insurance?

What if your dealer or the repair shop is hours from where you live. Do you have to tow it in to one or more places or do they send an adjuster out? Curious on what you have to do. I could possibly see many hours of your time lost because of someone else's negligence.

Seems to me the way the insurance system works is that you always deal with your own insurance agent or insurer and they handle it. Then they go after the other party if they have to to recover the costs or it can be a case of two insurers working it out together.

It's terrible when this has to happen. I'd be ticked if I even had to pay just the deductible.

Last year I saw a guy with a pop-up come ripping into the dealer's lot kicking up dust in the process. He did a fast 180 around a customer's trailer on the lot and took out it's rear corner. Brand new camper, never been used. Next to no damage on the pop-up. At least it didn't have to go far for repairs. I wonder if the trailer owner had to pay the deductible, lol?
myredracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:09 PM   #27

got the police report back today and Thanks God they have insurance, she was driving her boyfriends truck and she was charged with Failure to control her vehicle. We took the camper to the body shop today and I am calling her boyfriends insurance tomorrow to get them to cover the loss of use and Depreciated value claim and to get his truck checked out also

the place we are getting it fixed is about 25 minutes away. He said it would be about 3-4 weeks. I will ask the company about paying my deductible early also so I would have to pay for it out of my pocket just to be reimbursed.
Old 07-09-2013, 07:50 PM   #28

Freightliner Owners Club
My 2 C...from experience... consider demanding the unit be taken back to the manufacturer for repair. You will get all new ends, not repaired, all panels will be new, not repaired. It will be done right, and last for the life of the unit, especially important since you have a new one.
Several years ago, we delivered these units, and on more than one occasion, picked one up from an owner, took it to the factory for repair, then took it back.
All paid for by the offending driver. The insurance company will cry like a whipped pup, but this is totally do-able, remember, the accident was NOT your fault...

free-to-roam is offline   Reply With Quote