Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
New Engine in Genset/Proper oil

So I sit here today the proud owner of a bouncing new baby genset engine. The previous engine died a horrible death at 873.2 hours (burnt the valves). So I go today pick up the genset (it is installed by the shop) and just in frendly conversation I ask about break in and he stated change the oil at 20 hours so cool, I then ask, use the recommended 15W40? And he said no, that is for diesels, I said that is what the book says and he says, use a good 30W year round. I then ask about synthetics and he states that Cummins does not mention its use soooo all you mechanic type geeks, what say you? Should I go with the "book?" Should I go synthetic? Enquiring minds want to know.

2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
navychaps is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-27-2014, 03:14 PM   #2

Go with what ever you use in your main engine, That makes your service simple. And I'm assuming you are using something in the 15W40 range.

Unless you are in AK, do not use 30W. Your gen set works too hard and that light of an engine oil will not maintain the proper viscosity (too thin).

On the subject of synthetics, you'll find differing opinions. I have used synthetics in all my off road equipment such as lawn mowers, generators and all my on road vehicles. I prefer synthetics not for extending the oil change schedule, but because I've found it helps maintain a cleaner and cooler running engine. The higher tolerance to heat ensures me that when and if my engine runs above the normal temperature range, my oil will maintain it's lubricity, and not cook out into a mess inside the engine.

This is my personal preference and in no way am I saying to you, you have to use it as I do. Experience will be your best teacher in this area.

But please do pay attention to my first two paragraphs. I hate to be the one who bad-mouths another person opinion, but I don't think you got good advice from that so called mechanic you had the conversation with.

A first 20 hour oil change? I'm not sure about that. If I remember, my manual stated the gen-set did not require a break-in period or special oil, as that had been completed prior to leaving the factory.

15W40 only for diesel engines. If he really knew what he was talking about, he should know an oil specified for use in a diesel engine means it can be used in both gas and diesel.

So with all this, your best bet is, start with your manual, then you can modify to your needs with the proper knowledge.

Good Luck
DTW

Old 08-27-2014, 03:38 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I actually was considering Royal Purple 15W40 after the "20 Hour" break in period. As I run it in my Pickup and really like it and Wally World now sells it the at a competitive price!
2003 Winne Adventurer, Ford F53 V-10. Toad:1992 S-10, Road Master Falcon 2 Tow bar, Blue Ox Patriot brake system and Protect-a-Tow. Right is right even if no one is doing it; Wrong is wrong even if everyone is doing it--St Augustine of Hippo. Navy AD.
Old 08-27-2014, 03:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by navychaps View Post
So I sit here today the proud owner of a bouncing new baby genset engine.
all you mechanic type geeks, what say you? Should I go with the "book?" Should I go synthetic?
navychaps
Use ONLY the oil the "book" that you got with the new genset recommends.
As you will soon see, the opinion of "mechanic type geeks" vary all over the map!
Choosing the "correct forum answer" is a crap shoot, (like playing Russian Roulette).
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 08-27-2014, 04:01 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mel s View Post
navychaps
Use ONLY the oil the "book" that you got with the new genset recommends.
As you will soon see, the opinion of "mechanic type geeks" vary all over the map!
Choosing the "correct forum answer" is a crap shoot, (like playing Russian Roulette).
Mel
'96 Safari
There is no "new book" as the engine is the only thing that was replaced. I have a 2014 engine in a 2003 GENSET....
Old 08-27-2014, 04:37 PM   #6

My Onan has 15w-40 factory fill Delo in it, but only has about 6hrs of running.
Old 08-27-2014, 05:00 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I was just at Cummings to buy a spark plug and filter and they recommended 10W30. We live in Michigan so winters are cold and summers are moderate. When I went to the parts store for the oil everything was a synthetic blend so that's what I went with.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #8

You are asking the wrong folks.

Send an email to the manufacturer of the engine requesting the official oil to use per warranty and use whatever they specify.

You need to register your engine anyway.

And the new engine should have came with a user guide and maintenance schedule in the kit, the person performing the work should hsve provided it to you.

Folks here are sharp but they cannot authorize warranty.
Old 08-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
VERY interesting! No one has ever asked what generator it is nor has that information been offered by the OP...
H. Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 07:44 AM   #10

Quote:
There is no "new book" as the engine is the only thing that was replaced. I have a 2014 engine in a 2003 GENSET....
navychaps
Printed "operating instructions" are normally included with new products.....if you didn't any, ask the seller for yours.
Mel
Old 08-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by H. Miller View Post
VERY interesting! No one has ever asked what generator it is nor has that information been offered by the OP...
Onan Marquis 5500 Sorry for the omit....

New engine only has a 90 day warranty, so If it breaks between now and then, it is their oil in the crankcase anyway. I'm wanting this thing to last as long as a manmade piece of equipment can, so I am wondering if anyone happens to have a newer Cummins owners manual that shows the recommended oil to compare it with what I have:

NOTE: Multi-grade oils (such as SAE 15W-40) are recommended for year-round use in Cummins Onan liquid-cooled engines, or as a good all-season oil for air-cooled engines.
NOTE: SAE-30 is the preferred summer grade for optimum oil consumption control in Cummins Onan air-cooled engines.

From the Onan Manual.....

The other question is: Does anyone use a synthetic in their Cummins/Onan GENSET?

Just narrowing down the question as the "dealer" muddied the water for me.
Old 08-28-2014, 02:35 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Ours is a Cummins/Onan 4000. See post 7 above.

May the roads rise up to meet you, May the winds be always at your back...
Pepper2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2014, 03:40 PM   #13

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Onan Marquis 5500 Sorry for the omit....

New engine only has a 90 day warranty, so If it breaks between now and then, it is their oil in the crankcase anyway. I'm wanting this thing to last as long as a manmade piece of equipment can, so I am wondering if anyone happens to have a newer Cummins owners manual that shows the recommended oil to compare it with what I have:

NOTE: Multi-grade oils (such as SAE 15W-40) are recommended for year-round use in Cummins Onan liquid-cooled engines, or as a good all-season oil for air-cooled engines.
NOTE: SAE-30 is the preferred summer grade for optimum oil consumption control in Cummins Onan air-cooled engines.

From the Onan Manual.....

The other question is: Does anyone use a synthetic in their Cummins/Onan GENSET?

Just narrowing down the question as the "dealer" muddied the water for me.
I have a 10K Onan Cummins in the coach. Most of the 10k and 12.5k units run the Kubota 3 cylinder engine. I have the same engine in my lawn tractor. It's a very dependable rock solid engine that should give anyone thousands of hours if properly maintained.

Most synthetic oils for diesels have moved from 15w-40 to 5w-40. 80% of engine's wear occurs at start up so good oil flow is critical at start up. The weight changes as the polymers expand under heat, so as the oil heats up the weight or thickness increases. The 40W is the approximate flow at operating temperature. I use 5W-40 in both the main and generator engine. Synthetics have about a 100 degree higher sheer strength temperature and handle heat much better.
Old 08-28-2014, 10:14 PM   #14

My generator is a diesel also, like Dawgs, and I run the 5W-40 full synthetic in it, as well as in the engine for the MH. I use Rotella T6, but any 5W-40 diesel oil is going to be a full synthetic similar to the T6. The 5W-40 oil will also work great in your gasoline powered generator.

38Chevy454 is offline   Reply With Quote