Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-20-2017, 10:38 PM   #15

Thank you
careyj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-21-2017, 08:11 AM   #16

That is a pretty loud noise to be heard over the fuel injectors. Does not sound like an internal noise. I would definately have it found and fixed by a ford truck dealer.

Both of my v10 gasser were extremely loud under load and I spent some time with sound insulation getting them reasonable. Otherwise, nice powertrain.
Old 01-21-2017, 08:33 AM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
Foretravel Owners Club
Sounds like moisture causing popping sounds off of the exhaust manifolds during engine warm up, moisture gets under oxidation on the cast stainless and pops the flakes off, if you were parked in a damp area this can happen. Once you put some miles on it it won't do it. Every new ford tritan I've owned has done it until I put about 15000 miles on it.
Mrfix
mrfix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2017, 03:58 PM   #18

I've never heard that noise from my 2016.5 Outlaw 29h.
The new 6 speed keeps the rpm's down vs. the older models with 5 speed.
The noise in the video definitely wouldn't make me freak out, not saying you are. Just trying to put you at ease. Sounding like a relay to me, but it should be easy to eliminate the water popping off the exhaust by letting it fully warm up and see if you hear it.
Old 01-29-2017, 11:27 PM   #19

Thanks
Old 01-29-2017, 11:33 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Was the air conditioner on or off?

Experiment with turning the air conditioning on and off.

Let us know what finally solves the problem.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2017, 08:33 AM   #21
IC2

Why are you asking us to diagnose a potentially strange noise here. Take it to a Ford dealer. It's under warranty. Oh and yes, V10 engines are not the quietest - even louder then my 6.7 diesel, especially under load.
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:51 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by IC2 View Post
Why are you asking us to diagnose a potentially strange noise here. Take it to a Ford dealer. It's under warranty. Oh and yes, V10 engines are not the quietest - even louder then my 6.7 diesel, especially under load.
Because time is money to me. The RV is kept at a storage place. So between going to get it, getting to a dealer, having it checked out then taking it back, it ends of costing me a lot of time. So until the first oil change is needed, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to waste my time taking it to the dealer. I was hoping it was a normal sound that I wasn't familiar with.
Old 02-11-2017, 06:09 AM   #23
IC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
Because time is money to me. The RV is kept at a storage place. So between going to get it, getting to a dealer, having it checked out then taking it back, it ends of costing me a lot of time. So until the first oil change is needed, I was hoping that I wouldn't have to waste my time taking it to the dealer. I was hoping it was a normal sound that I wasn't familiar with.

Just think about your time and money stuck along the highway in West Overshoe on a Saturday late afternoon with a broken part and nary a Ford dealer in sight or for that matter, even open that can repair your in warranty vehicle. Then add in a cranky wife and possibly a restless kid or two and maybe some friends in another RV that are now suffering. Rest my case, but it is you vehicle
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 07:52 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by careyj1 View Post
H,

Is this engine noise normal? Do you know what it is?

This is a new Ford 450 in Thor Class C Outlaw, 2800 miles.

Thank you
The Ford engine under load is very loud. I got rid of mine for that reason. On relatively flat terrain it is ok. Do some firewall sound proofing.
Old 02-11-2017, 05:32 PM   #25

We added a layer of insulation to the doghouse shortly after we bought our 2017 with the E450 Ford chassis. Have driven it halfway across the U.S. and back, with quite a bit of hilly terrain and extensive time in lower gears. Could not be happier. Easy to carry on a conversation in all conditions. We absolutely love it.
GoneToTheDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 06:22 PM   #26

Ummm,,, this video is at idle,,, no load,,, unless the OP is hanging off the front end with the hood open going down the road.... It does sound like a relay,, but by NO means should you hear that in the cab,,,, IF you do.....
monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:05 AM   #27

Careyj1,

It sounds exactly like a relay or solenoid engaging and then disengaging. This could be caused by a loose connection to the relay/solenoid or by an internal break. It did not sound like the AC compressor clutch to me, but I have been wrong before.

You could do two things before throwing in the towel.
  • With the engine off, plug and replug all relays and connections to each relay (one at a time). Look at the connectors for an obvious problem when you do this. Start the engine and see if the problem disappeared.
  • Buy a mechanic’s stethoscope and touch the probe to the case of each relay and solenoid that you find. Since the engine is running when you do this, be careful with the probe around belts, pulleys, etc. The probe will isolate and amplify the noise that you are hearing.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-52500-M...cs+stethescope

Good luck,
Old 02-13-2017, 12:48 AM   #28

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford V10 under high stress in lower gear really loud, yep normal. Get up some speed prior to hitting the hill and kick the CC off so you can feather the throttle so it doesn't down shift too far.
You may want to invest in a 5Star tune also, it helps a lot.

Tags
engine, ford, noise