Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-01-2015, 03:52 PM   #1

New guy planning on full timing in 5th wheel

Hello all! I will begin my search for the perfect truck/5th wheel combination soon and I will likely be dropping my questions on you all very soon. But now, a little about me so maybe you all can start dropping suggestions.

First and foremost, I am a BIG guy. 6'3 250-300 lbs depending on my current diet. I am single with no kids or pets. Im soon to be 31 years old My career will require traveling across the country. I am a proud union crane operator. This means I will sometimes take jobs that last 3 weeks, sometimes take jobs that last 3 years. I am currently selling my non moveable home and will be doing full time living.

Ive owned a tow behind before. It was a 23 foot heartland northtrail. great little buy, but quickly became too small and cramped, especially with guests. lol I never had any major issues but there were some annoyances. Cheap storage hardware, cheap oven, having to yell over the A/C every time it comes on, oven not heating evenly, cheap this or cheap that. GRR

Im a big guy. Im going to need a 5th wheel with living space and head room. Tall showers are a huge plus. Washer and dryers that can handle heavy denim would be gold, if such a unicorn exists. I will be working typically 7 days a week 12 hours a day and when i come back to my home I dont want to bump anything and it break. I understand long term wear and tear. I do not understand poor quality.

So what the 5th wheel boils down to is head room, quality all over especially the kitchen, and would be able to withstand the abuse of a 300 lb man enjoying freedom and going where the money calls him. I want a home on the road. If I decide to entertain family or a lady I really want it to shine. I dont want it to scream camper. Think Airstream looks for a 5th wheel.

Oh and the idea of Solar really is an awesome thing. Is it viable? Is it still a concept?

Ive been eyeing a new f250 with the 6.7 diesel, but i do not understand all of the technical towing aspects of my future home. A 350 or 450 isnt out of the picture. I dont particularly care for a dually if I can avoid it. Maybe I need to be sold on the idea. Any advice on this or links to threads would be appreciated. I will be going to see a few new models tomorrow at camping world and a mom and pop dealer. I should be able to get some form of idea about how long I want the living space to be from that.

Heck maybe even a motorhome? I dont know. I just didnt like the headroom ive seen in some videos.

I am probably a big minority on this site but the knowledge base is why Ive arrived. My niche market probably doesnt even exist in the camping world. If it does, I hope all of you can help!
QuixoticElixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-01-2015, 04:01 PM   #2

I am trying to link a picture of me on the day I bought my 23 foot heartland north trail. Maybe it will work... If not, mods feel free to delete.

If it does, this will give you an idea of my size and why i need space and headroom.

only on the 2nd of 3 steps.
Old 05-01-2015, 04:14 PM   #3

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome to the forum.
I think you are going the right direction with a fiver. It should give you more options and plenty of room. Beware of the salesmen... they tend to tell you what you want to hear. You will know more the more you look. Some are made to live in and some are not.
Enjoy your search.
LarrytheBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 04:21 PM   #4
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your choices.

I'm not sure of your concerns with headroom in a Class A, I'm 6'3" as well and do not have headroom problems in mine nor the many I have been into for a look see.

For your described use I think I'd be inclined to go the fiver route.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 07:08 PM   #6

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 08:17 PM   #7

From your description, you need to look at New Horizons or other custom builders. You may possibly find a top-end unit like Mobile Suites or others will work.

A dually is just about a given. It has everything to do with quality, Quality just simply weighs more. Think about this whole issue in terms of momentum. What happens on the end of your line with a 10,000lb piece as compared to a 20,000lb piece?

Check out Escapees HDT section, and look up Mark&Dale Bruss and Jack Mayer. They run HDT but have a lot of insights in the issues.

I am 75" and now down to 210, but I know your issues. Height in the bedroom and bath will be close. But hey,her boys are 6'9" and 6'7" and the daughter is over 6'. Good Luck.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2015, 10:48 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Jay View Post
From your description, you need to look at New Horizons or other custom builders. You may possibly find a top-end unit like Mobile Suites or others will work.

A dually is just about a given. It has everything to do with quality, Quality just simply weighs more. Think about this whole issue in terms of momentum. What happens on the end of your line with a 10,000lb piece as compared to a 20,000lb piece?

Check out Escapees HDT section, and look up Mark&Dale Bruss and Jack Mayer. They run HDT but have a lot of insights in the issues.

I am 75" and now down to 210, but I know your issues. Height in the bedroom and bath will be close. But hey,her boys are 6'9" and 6'7" and the daughter is over 6'. Good Luck.
Custom Builders? There are such beasts?!? Please tell me more! Hopefully they dont want to break the bank. Do you mean "custom" as in basic floorplans? Im new to the acronyms of this forum so I dont completely know HDT yet.

Ive seen the "Suite" 5th wheels and they are quite nice. Its up my alley for sure.
Old 05-02-2015, 06:14 AM   #9

Good luck Q.

Local 1 Boilermakers and Local 150 Operators put on a show outside Chicago.

Menendez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:17 AM   #10

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:54 AM   #11

New Horizons and Spacecraft are two custom builders. They will work with you to get the floor plan and outfitting to your specifications. They will build the trailer exactly the way you want it. Look up their web pages and call them. One is in Kansas and one in Missouri.
Terry Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 07:57 AM   #12
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the perfect rig for your needs! Enjoy the forum!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2015, 09:21 AM   #13

HEY HEY MENENDEZ! Im 3rd generation IUOE 653 out of Mobile, AL.

Heading out shortly to eyeball some campers. Hopefully this will help me out some. I did look at some last night on youtube and really like the DRV's. Now lets hope it doesnt break the bank. Im not buying right at this moment. Im really going to research exactly what I need for a while before I pull the trigger.
Old 05-02-2015, 09:58 AM   #14

Research is the best move. A 5th wheel is probably the right move for you. Really look around go to a camping show. Check multiple brands and dealers. Take everything the dealer says with a grain of salt. You may have to travel to find the unit you want at need. Titanium make some very nice units. I believe they are made in Canada and used to be direct sales only, I don't know if they still are but I knew somebody who had one and it was quite nice. Many years ago I looked at a King of the Road 5'er and almost pulled the trigger. Very pricey but we'll built. Good luck and keep us posted
Monster99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5th wheel