Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-04-2015, 01:02 PM   #1

New Hampshire as residence?

I know this may be a little out there but has anyone become a New Hamshire resident and than changed domicile after six months or so?Why is New Hampshire a good or bad choice? I would consider living there for six months,than maybe looking at Texas.
Thanks
JD
Jpdkmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-04-2015, 01:06 PM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Why?? It seems like a lot of work and expense for a six month stint.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2015, 01:18 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpdkmd View Post
I know this may be a little out there but has anyone become a New Hamshire resident and than changed domicile after six months or so?Why is New Hampshire a good or bad choice? I would consider living there for six months,than maybe looking at Texas.
Thanks
JD
As NH residents we plan on "staying" here when ready to get rving. nH has no state income tax or sales tax a big plus in financial planning. On the other side of the equation , property taxes are high. So a smaller home or condo and we will be on he road! 😊. Would be interested in learning what other NH rvers have experienced.
Old 06-05-2015, 10:03 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you are in a state for 30 days or more and have income, you are probably a "resident" for tax & vehicle registration purposes anyway. Once you full time, you probably won't own property in NH and thus won't care about high property taxes (unless they apply to vehicles, e.g. a personal property tax).

The more important consideration may be whether you cut ties with your previous state of residence and thus out from under their taxes.
Gary RVRoamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 10:56 AM   #5

NH resident here. No sales tax is a huge benefit for more expensive RVs. Significant town property tax on the expensive RV, and GVWR-based state tax are annual downsides. $800+ for this year on my 2000 MH. You would have to do the math to figure out whether the first-year registration would be higher than tax+tags in another state. Disabled veterans are eligible for significant real estate tax exemptions that vary with VA rating and municipality.

Mike

2000 Holiday Rambler Endeavor
Freghtliner XC, CAT 3126B
Old 06-05-2015, 02:03 PM   #6

Workhorse Chassis Owner
The last year we were NH residents (2005) my motor home and car plates/registration combined was about $1800. We moved to SD that year and the plates/registration was $186. My property tax for 2002 (the last year we owned a house there) was over $10,000 for the year.
From 2002 until 2005 we had to pay state taxes on our interest and dividend income even though we didn't have enough income to have to file a federal income tax form.
Our insurance for the vehicles was about $300 per year less in SD.
Old 06-05-2015, 02:27 PM   #7

A couple more reasons to consider New Hampshire:

Standard driver's license covers all non-commercial vehicles, regardless of length, weight, or type of brakes.

There are numerous seasonal residential properties that are valued and assessed accordingly. If you're planning on avoiding our wonderful winters, you can also avoid the full effect of the real estate taxes.
Old 06-08-2015, 06:37 AM   #8

I lived in NH for approx 25yrs in the 60-70-80s. It's a great state.
BUT...as others have said, the devil is in the details.
I'd recommend Fl. If your RV has been registered somewhere else for greater than 6mos, there's no sales tax when you register. First time FL reg fee of $250 on ANY vehicle, but it's one time. After that, plates are cheap. My insurance dropped significantly between Mass and here.
While there IS a state sales tax, there is no income tax, and frankly, cost of living down here is cheap compared to New England states.
Lobstah is offline   Reply With Quote