Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
View Poll Results: so van+TT or class C MH
go for the van + TT 0 0%
go for a MH (C class) 1 100.00%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 04-24-2014, 11:44 AM   #1
Question New here, planning a 4 month cross country trip on a job move

I'll start my new job on the west coast in 5 months.
planning to
1- sell the minivan
2a- buy a 1 ton van and a TT
2b- buy a MH.

2a seems like the reasonable choice because with a class C we'll need to buy another car once we get there.
2b seems like more fun as a trip, less hassle (and I have no experience towing.)

would love to hear your thoughts on this decision. (is C class safer than a TT for a long cross country trip?) how about the gas mileage. looks like it's going to be about 1$ per mile on an older C class and about 60c per mile for the van (and there's a good few K miles to go)

can you get groceries in a MH? or do you just go to a Target/costco for everything.

what's a good rule of thumb for older ones (e.g. nothing older than 7 years or whatever.)

do I have to register the MH in every state I get to?

is this the place to ask?

(i put a poll for options 2a 2b)

vi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-24-2014, 12:37 PM   #2
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Your thread was moved to give you better coverage of your questions.

John & Cathy R.
06 Pace Arrow 38L W24
08 Lincoln MKX AWD
See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 12:57 PM   #3
Being self contained is a better way to go. a class A would be better but that's not on the table. With a class c you would be comfortable and have a kitchen with a dinette and a small shower. Plus a microwave and a stove. As far as groceries there a plenty of shopping places for groceries. Just plan accordingly. Also your class c will have a small generator so that's a plus. It should power a small AC. It your going across country you better have AC. You didn't state your route but if is hot I would have AC. I am sure others will have questions and answers. Good luck on you move and your journey.

You don't need to register in every state just when you purchase it and then when you relocate.
cowrv39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:10 PM   #4
Option 1 - tow the mini van behind the coach. You will probably need a trailer or a tow dolly.

Option 2b for sure. Unless you need the 1 ton for work or kids.

Option..... oh there are only 2 options aren't there.

I predict you will enjoy the trip so much no matter which type of motorhome you pick you will be looking for a bigger better one once you get to your new home!

Ok,....did I win anything in your poll? If so just let me know so I can get the garage cleaned out for it!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck, Be Safe and Above All, Don't Forget To Have Fun
2006 Fleetwood Discovery 35H, being pushed by a 2009 Honda CRV
Bigd9 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:14 PM   #5
Well, we won't be needing the van for the trip,
but we were thinking of moving up from the minivan eventually. at the other end

there's 7 of us now, and the double stroller doesn't go in the back if we want to put a couple of bikes in a minivan.

BTW, class C is a budget thing,
I was drooling over the 80K$ THOR A.C.E models, but it is probably not for my budget. (I know I can finance, but not sure it is worth it. would love to buy a 2 y.o. one, but didn't see any)
vi7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 07:20 PM   #6
Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome and glad to meet you!

FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote