Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2
Old 02-14-2013, 03:23 PM   #1
New House and parking RV problem

Buying a new to us house and will be keeping my motor home on the property... have a half acre so room is no problem. I do not want to pour additional concrete on the property. I was thinking about putting down mulch between landscape timbers over my grass.
What have you folks done?
Thanks, Ron

2003 Dolphin LX 6355, Workhorse W22, 8.1 Vortec, 2007 Saturn Vue
Retired USN SMC
RonA is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #2

I think that would be as bad as parking on dirt. At a minimum, you're going to want a good base of gravel.

Mark Anderson - FMCA 351514 - Louisville, KY
2007 Sportscoach Pathfinder 377DS - Freightliner XC
2006 Jeep Commander
Cricket SW3 Personal Transporter
topdownman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #3
Monaco Owners Club
I would put down a good gravel base as well or you will have trouble. MH's are easy to get stuck harder to pull out.
Dennis & Marcie & Hook The Jack Russell, 2001 HR Imperial 38wds 350 Cummins, 07 Chevy Trailblazer/Blue Ox/Ready Brake, 04 Dodge 3500 Cummins,
slickest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:55 PM   #4
If you go with gravel, remove the grass, put down some landscapers fabric to stop the grass and weeds from regrowing, then put the gravel.
Stan, Wanda, Alex, Nick and Macky (chorky)
2013 Avenger 33BHS
Stanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #5
Tiffin Owners Club

Hi Rona
I have a product called crusher run that is part gravel and part fine gravel dust.After awhile it will almost get as hard as concrete.All of my driveway and where I park the MH is parked on it.I have not had a problem and I have had it down probably 18 yrs.Good Luck and Many Safe and Happy Miles and Smiles
Billy & Millie (2013 Allegro 36 LA) USMC VET
2013 Hyundai GT, 08 Harley trike
Mastertow dolly/ Great Doxie- Gracie
papaw.1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:17 PM   #6
Community Administrator

Pond Piggies Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
LA Gulf Coast Campers
Outdoors RV Owners Club
Originally Posted by Stanleyg View Post
If you go with gravel, remove the grass, put down some landscapers fabric to stop the grass and weeds from regrowing, then put the gravel.
Agreed. We used screenings for the bottom layers (on top of the landscape fabric). It packs down nice & hard - next best thing to concrete. Then topped that off with pea-sized gravel, then a layer of bigger gravel. I'd say we're about 4-5" thick. The picture below probably shows ours best. This was the day we were having an RV port built.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1060195.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	468.6 KB
ID:	33495  
Lori & Dave - FMA #3415 | FMCA #F419886 | RV/MH Hall of Fame Lifetime Member
2006 Fleetwood Bounder 36Z & 2014 Honda CRV AWD, My iRV2 Photo Albums
How is it one careless match can start a forest fire but it takes a whole box to start a campfire?
NLOVNIT is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #7
New Horizons Owners Club
Nice looking pad Lov
2013 New Horizons 37' Majestic, 2013 Ford F-450 Lariat
Full-time RV April 2013, Retired January 2014
Pullin' Chocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
I would at least put gavel,stepping stone or something like that under the wheels. My concrete is at least 6 inches and 1 foot where the concrete truck drove over it. I added 2 ft. of pea gravel on each side to make it 14ft wide and the Rv port is 12 x 45.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1020521371.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	33497  
2007 Fleetwood Revolution LE 40V
Tha_Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:55 PM   #9

Florida Cooters Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
We had a contractor excavate about 8" deep, then bring in fill dirt that he compacted before spreading a 2" layer of #57 gravel. When that is rolled, it becomes a very solid surface. Once that was done, we had a 20x40' steel RV port built. Makes for a very good spot to stow the rig.
Dave & Jo Ann
'08 HitchHiker Champagne 35LKRSB | '11 F350 Lariat 6.7PSD
Half Dimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:47 PM   #10
National RV Owners Club

It looks like you're getting some great suggestions from the members. One other thing to consider is the type of soil where it's going to be parked. Or more specifically, how dense is the soil, how well does it drain off rain water and what effect does the rain water have on the ground if something very heavy is sitting on it. Especially something with only 4 relatively small contact areas (The Jacks). It would be pretty frustrating to walk out to the RV and find the jacks, or worse yet, the jacks and wheels sunken into the ground, requiring some sort of recovery operation just to get it out of the yard. Excavation, back filling and compacting with compactable gravel or crush and run might be the best option for an area with soft soil that compacts easily and absorbs rain water easily. No excavation and just a layer of crush and run or compactable gravel of some sort might be the best option for an area already well compacted that doesn't absorb water well. DG or decomposed granite is another good option for ground that's already compacted well. Weed barrier material would be needed no matter what method was chosen. Pretty tough to get a weed eater up under that thing. There's a lot of options for that and eventually a pre-emergent would probably be needed, because weeds eventually find a way past the barrier material.

I don't think you need to hire a soil compaction expert to figure out the soil. Digging a small hole about a foot deep should be pretty revealing. Just knowing the soil and a visual might be all that's needed.
Harley Ultra Classic (Geezer Glide) Rider, Retired US Army Paratrooper, fisherman, shooter. Proud to have served, proud of those that still do, or have done so with pride.
2005 National Dolphin 34'
Wolfpack Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
iRV2 No Limits Club
Some state's (WA is one) use a paving block that has 2" X 2" holes in it, that allows the grass to go through and looks almost like there is no driveway. Worked great when we had a 8,800# Type B MH and the heavier Type C. When we went to the Type A's the blocks broke apart under the weight. Now I just have gravel for the MH drive and every couple of years I get some " minus and spread it on top.
2009 45' Magna 630 w/Cummins ISX 650 HP/1950 Lbs Ft
Charter Good Sam Lifetime Member, FMCA, SKP
RV'ing since 1957, NRA Benefactor Life, towing '05 Odyssey
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:03 PM   #12
Mid Atlantic Campers
Originally Posted by RonA View Post
Buying a new to us house and will be keeping my motor home on the property... have a half acre so room is no problem. I do not want to pour additional concrete on the property. I was thinking about putting down mulch between landscape timbers over my grass.
What have you folks done?
Thanks, Ron

I tried that a few years ago and it was a miserable failure. It made a terrible mess.
First I put down geotextile fabric and then about 4 inches of mulch. It was all fine and well until the wet weather came and it was just like parking on dirt, or mud. You'd be better off just parking in the grass than to go to all of the trouble.
A base of #3 or #4 Limestone, then some #57 on top will make a lot better parking surface. It's what I ended up doing and was much happier.
Trust me, the mulch idea sounds good in theory, I thought so too, but it's terrible in practice. Especially if you have to move the unit when the ground is wet or soft.

Your mileage may vary.
Phobos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 08:39 PM   #13
Retired Fire Capt

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Interesting that this thread was started. I have been pondering the question over the past couple of days. We have the room on the side of the house in a housing tract. The soil is mostly and quite soft during the rainy season. What is the most effective and least expensive way to prep the ground for a 30,000 lb rig with two axles? I was thinking that I would need to excavate the driving and parking surface at least 12" and start building base from there with decomposed granite, or a gravel. Be interesting to hear from owners with similar circumstances.
Jeff/Diane, Retired Fire Capt. I.Y.A.O.Y.A.S.
2004 Winnebago Journey 39K on a Workhorse chassis w/ ISC 330, Allison 3000
2013 Honda Fit with Roadmaster Baseplate, BrakeMaster and All Terrain Falcon Tow Bar.
GS#819681685 FMCA#F437136 SKP#112720
phinneyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #14

Hey RonA.

You do not have an RV parking problem!
Some municipalities would not allow it.
You have space! Lucky for that!
You will figure out the proper base that will suit your soil, and park it just fine.
I look forward to your solution!
Happy trails!

Dave and Nola, RVM1
The Journey is Our Destination!

CampDaven is online now   Reply With Quote