Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-27-2015, 09:54 PM   #1

New member asking about extended warranty

I was not sure where to post this question. We purchased a new Bighorn 5th wheel last fall and now need to decide if we should purchase extended warranty on our unit. Does anyone out there have thoughts, advice, etc. about the value of this option?

Roxanne and Dennis
Bighorn 3010 w/Chevy 2500 Diesel truck

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-28-2015, 04:10 AM   #2
Community Moderator

Country Coach Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Gulf Streamers Club
Hello and welcome: We are glad to have you join us here and we look forward to reading of your adventures an experiences. I am sure you will enjoy our website and forums. Good luck, stay safe and keep us posted.

06 Saturn Vue, 06 Chevy Z71 4x4 & 2014 Corvette Z51 M7
RV Wizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 07:52 AM   #3

Well, it's not a warranty, rather a kind of service plan insurance from a third party - not the manufacturer of your RV or it's appliances. There are many, many, posts on this forum for, against, these products. Use SEARCH to do some reading before buying anything.

No matter what one's opinion about extended service plans, the one inescapable fact is that they are intended to make a profit for the companies selling them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bergies View Post
I was not sure where to post this question. We purchased a new Bighorn 5th wheel last fall and now need to decide if we should purchase extended warranty on our unit. Does anyone out there have thoughts, advice, etc. about the value of this option?

Roxanne and Dennis
George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:09 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by George Schweikle View Post
Well, it's not a warranty, rather a kind of service plan insurance from a third party - not the manufacturer of your RV or it's appliances. There are many, many, posts on this forum for, against, these products. Use SEARCH to do some reading before buying anything.

No matter what one's opinion about extended service plans, the one inescapable fact is that they are intended to make a profit for the companies selling them.
I have to agree, They are offered to make themselves money. Many people have fought to use the warranty only to find some loop hole as to why they don't cover a item. Put your money in the bank, then when needed do your own repairs, you'll come out on top.
US Navy Vet.
Bruce C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 06:31 AM   #5

We got an extended warranty last fall and used it this summer when a failed wheel bearing took out the hub and axle spline on our fifth wheel. We ended up spending $1000 for roadside diagnostics, removal of the old axle, shipping to Dexter, the new axle assembly, shipping, installation. Of that, the warranty covered about $535 and we had to play games to get that much covered. The company will not pay for anything not pre-approved and weren't open at the times the work was done, so we got approval after the fact, then they only paid parts and labor for the installation, no shipping or roadside diagnostics. So in the first year, it was $2000 for a four year extended service plan and we saved $535 in repairs. Whether it was worth it depends on what else goes wrong in the next 3 years, but they bet you don't use it and make it difficult to use. Had the repairs been done where I bought the RV and ESP, they would have played the game for me, it would have cost more to repair, it would have taken longer based on how long it took a friend for the same repair, but the reimbursement would have been larger because of the higher charges. We lucked into a small shop that bent over backwards to expedite things, worked late to remove the old axle and ship to Dexter, then worked on Saturday to assemble and install the new axle. But it meant that we had to help them deal with the warranty company on Monday.
SkiSmuggs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:19 AM   #6

I've never had a problem with my XtraRide policy. But I've always been able to call them before a repair was done. I've always received the go ahead. Both times we used it I had the mechanic call them with all my info and it was no problem. In fact I'm in the process of getting a new rear A/C unit that's been giving me fits.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 07:46 AM   #7

Several facts with purchasing an Extended Warranty:
Read what is NOT covered !
EVERY repair requires PRE APPROVAL !!!
The price is Negotiable !!!
These plans are CASH COW'S for the seller.
These plans are writen by Lawyers, and not your lawyer !!!
Old 10-29-2015, 08:35 AM   #8

Not sure the age of your fiver, if you posted it, I must have missed it. If you are mechanically inclined I would take the cost of the service plan, set it aside for later repairs, get a good road side assistance plan, enjoy your coach and totally avoid any service plans or extended warranty programs. Good luck in whatever you chose, and Welcome Aboard!
Hit_the_Rhod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 11:49 AM   #9

The issue I had getting approval for the axle is that the shop had no idea what Dexter would charge, and when the new axle arrived, it had no invoice so the shop still didn't know the cost. The warranty company would not issue approval without an estimate and the shop did not want to give a bogus estimate with knowing the cost of parts. They had to call Dexter Monday morning to be told they would be invoiced in a week or so. The shop told them they needed it now and Dexter called back 30 minutes later with the invoice. What is funny is that the complete new axle was under $300 and was $835 installed with the shop mark-up. A friend had the same done by Campers World, it took a month and was $2000.
Old 10-29-2015, 01:13 PM   #10

2bergies,
Pretty much I agree with all said here. However, I have had a service contract on our last 3 RVs and felt each one was worth it. For one thing I don't have to worry about a sudden unexpected large expense. To keep the cost down I buy for as long as possible usually 5 years but the one we bought this past summer was only available for 3 years and I have a large deductible $500 when available.
Someone mentioned ExtraRide, I was disappointed to learn that they recently changed their marketing plan and are now only available thru dealers. I had them on two coaches and they were always good to work with. Early this year we had a significant electrical problem with a chassis wiring harness. Original diagnosis was corrosion and ExtraRide told us they do not cover corrosion which is the way all that I have checked with handle it - no coverage! But during disassembly, a difficult 3 day job because it was a 42 ft DP and harness was buried deep in the chassis, they found a burned connector. The engineers at Spartan, the chassis manufacturer, said that was the root cause of the problem. ExtraRide sent a rep out to inspect the job and the old harness and approved it. Their $5500 check covered most of the total cost and was about what I paid for the policy 3 years ago!
I would suggest you call Jeff at WholesaleWarranties.com at 800-939-2806. They are brokers and have access to a lot of different plans. You will learn something about the plans that will help you make a decision on whether you want a contract or not and what it will cost. I am not associated with them except as a satisfied customer for 7 years and 3 coaches.
bobsea43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 12:41 AM   #11
"Formerly Diplomat Don"

Newmar Owners Club
"2bergies".....All good info, especially the points mentioned by "djbmsu".

We have friends that have purchased contracts on their last two trucks and have benefitted by the coverage. With that said, typically, many buy the coverage for motor homes which have many systems and a drive train. Your trailer, really doesn't have a lot of components that are likely to fail early on. Personally, in your situation, especially if you can do some DIY repairs, I would save the money in a kitty and have it available when needed.
Dutch Star Don is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:29 AM   #12

Had we just put the money spent on the extended warranty in savings, it would have been less hassle and could have been used for a variety of unexpected expenses.
Old 11-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2bergies View Post

Roxanne and Dennis
We declined an extended service contract when we bought our 5er new in 05, as there isn't that much to go wrong with a towable. We bought the MH in my signature in 13, and an extended service contract. The 3 year contract cost $4,800; a lot of money. The contract expires in April 16, and we have virtually broke-even.
The possibilities for expensive repairs to a MH are many times more than a towable. For instance, one irv2.com member had engine damage last summer, which cost $29,000. He did not have an extended service contract, so bore the cost himself.
Sure these companies are in business to make money. Name any company that has a business model to lose money.

2000 Winnebago Ultimate Freedom USQ40JD, ISC 8.3 Cummins 350, Spartan MM Chassis. USA 1SG, retired;PPA,Good Sam Life member,FMCA."We the people are the rightful masters of both the Congress and the Courts - not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow men who pervert the Constitution. "Abraham Lincoln"
Ray,IN is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags