Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-25-2012, 04:52 PM   #1

Smile New member, hesitant about buying first RV

Hey there, everyone. I have been lurking here for a while and decided to pop the clutch and register to hopefully get some of your opinions on a purchase I have been considering.
To make a long story short we have been contemplating everything from a TT to a Class A for the past 18 months or so. I just stumbled upon a Class A which was a former rental unit. We took it for a test drive and we noticed a few issues. Bad vibration above 65mph (they claim it's a bald spot on the tire), Power mirrors don't work and shake bad while the previously mentioned vibrations. Also, the dash AC started blowing hot air on our test drive.

It's a 2008 Winnie Chalet 30RB. It seems there are a bunch of these floating around. This one has about 42k miles and change.

After the test drive my wife and I also noticed some water stains near the shower area, on the ceiling. The sales guy was pretty sure they had replaced the skylight that was over the shower, and fixed the issue. But the fact that there was a leak at all concerns me.
I've looked up some valuations, and the price we're at is about 6-7,000 under NADA value (even with the high miles). The dealer is offering a 3yr/36k mile extended service plan for $5,000. I was shocked at that, and wasn't sure if that price was reasonable.

Should I keep looking? If so, what concerns you the most about this MH?

Thanks for any advice!
-Mike

======================
Still too new for a witty signature
mladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-25-2012, 05:07 PM   #2

Fleetwood Owners Club
Rental = RUN!

I would not purchase a rental unit no matter what the cost. Plumbing, electrical, etc. systems on a RV are very sensitive and I can just imagine what an unexperienced renter with no care or respect for the RV they are in could have done to it!
ffspread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:11 PM   #3

I had 2 rental units inspected when I was looking and both had too much wrong with them. Dings and Bings is one thing, renters not knowing or caring how to use the components was another. I would think most units are pricing at least $6-7000 under NADA now. $5,000 for an extended warranty is robbery to me. If you love the unit have the dealer throw in the warranty for free to you.
lenjen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:23 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
Rental units have a HARD life from inexperienced users as well as people that do not care since they do not own the unit. So most rental units are worn well beyond their normal age.

I'd pass buying a rental unit.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the forum.

I agree with all of the above. I probably wouldn't even look at rental units but if you're in love with one... have the dealer throw in the extended warranty... and make sure it's a good one. At $5K he would probably make as much on the EW as he would on selling the coach.

There are just far too many excellent used rigs out there right now to jump at something that was a rental IMHO.

Best of luck.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 06:05 PM   #6

Thanks!

I appreciate everyone's responses.

As for dings and bumps, the body, inside and out is immaculate. Only the stains from the leak (supposedly fixed) and some of the vinyl wrap on the sides of the dinette is flaking. Other than that, we didn't see anything wrong with the unit, cosmetically.

One thing I did forget to mention, they are trying to see if they can fix those three big issues (vibration, mirrors, A/C). If they can't I'm going to walk away, period. But if for some reason they can, on their dime, I may look into having them throw in the ESP. Overall, I do still like it. It's perfect for our needs and budget. But being a former rental has me very nervous right now.
mladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:30 PM   #7

I'd keep looking. That's a common layout and there are likely a few non-rentals out there as well.

Steve
Old 06-25-2012, 07:45 PM   #8

Oklahoma Boomers Club
Fleetwood Owners Club
Echo most of the others, keep looking unless they fix everything that an outside RV Tech finds. Also remember that most aftermarket dealers that use NADA book values and then account for the "extras" when pricing. Most RV's came with standard options that should not be added when using NADA or KBB. So their 90k price may really only be 45k (etc)
Being a rental devalues it as well, should have all service records too.
4Knights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #9

Welcome to the forum, but I'd keep looking before jumping into a rental.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 08:05 PM   #10
Senior Dude

Triple E Owners Club
I'd have a tough time buying a rental. Too many unknowns. How many things need fixing as a result that haven't been found yet.

Warranty should be around $2200 if they are interested in giving you a deal.

Lots of other RV's out there. Just need to do your homework.
Dogpatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:06 PM   #11

I would suggest you be the renter for a while. That way you can see if the RVing life style is something that works for you.
B Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:27 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
I would keep looking as many others have said rentals are very abused and dealears only patch them up till they can dump them. Also $5000 for a warranty seems high I just purchased a 6 year extended for $3000 on a 185000 coach.
Matchayan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:38 PM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep looking. $5k-$6k off book is pretty easy, you don't need to go to a rental. Find someone local who knows RVs and then start shopping on Craigslist, RV trader, and even ebay.

$5k for an inclusion warranty is a ton of money.. Is that for the coach or the chassis?
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 09:43 PM   #14

Thor Owners Club
Ever heard the term "Drive it like you rented it"....I wuldn't look at a rental...and I agree there are a lot of better deals out there for extended warranties.....We paid $1600 for 6 years....
Fred1609 is offline   Reply With Quote