Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-24-2015, 04:03 PM   #1

New member - new to RVs and looking at Bs

Greetings!

New member here and just started researching our first RV purchase. It's just the two of us and we will be primarily weekend warriors (we both still work) with our two dogs (one small and one medium sized).

We're focusing on smaller RVs - Class-B/B+ - that are less than 26' in length to fit in our driveway.

Have some questions regarding brands and pricing ( i know sensitive but feel free to PM me...heh). I'd like to buy something used but fairly recent although that seems difficult to find (for the Bs) so may just go new.

1. We are going to look at Pleasureway, Leisure Travel, Winnebago and Renegades. Is there a make that stands above the others and, likewise, is there one that should be avoided? It's been hard to discern for me via the make-specific forums.

2. It appears that Class-Bs do not discount as much off MSRP as As or Cs. Is 20% off MSRP a possibility and I assume this varies between makes that I listed?

3. Do you take them to non-RV dealers for chassis service (total noob question)? In other words, go to my local dodge/chrysler dealer for Ram ProMaster warranty service?

Thanks in advance for help and guidance for this greenie!
Chabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #2

On a class B, the quality of the vehicle underneath the interior package is very important. There is quite a difference in the quality and the prices of the basic trucks.

My problem with the C's (after having one) is that they're relatively expensive for what you get. The class C's give you so much more for your money. The interior space of a B is also very limited--not as comfortable as a unit that's wider--especially with a slider.

As far as normal service, you can get it done at the local dealership selling that brand of chassis. As someone that worked for a major auto manufacturer, I never take my vehicles to any dealership unless the factory is picking up the bill. I do my own service, or use a local independent mechanic shop at 1/2 the hourly rate of a new truck dealership.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 08:54 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We looked at a couple of class Bs a year or so before we traded our Class C for our first Class A. Just wasn't large enough even for our weekend trips, much less our long cross country trips.

Mostly, the ones that I have looked at over the years that I was impressed with were built by Jayco, but I thought that the bang for the buck was far too much.

I think that it might be a good idea to call around your local area and check with your major brand dealerships and ask if they service chassis and drive train of the unit you plan to buy.

Best of luck with your decision and "Happy RVing" once you decide.
VSPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 09:52 AM   #4

I too would recommend a smaller Class C, they come down to 21' vs. a B. If 26' feet is your most pressing requirement than you can get a lot of RV with much more RV type amenities and comfort in a 25' C at probably 1/3 less in price and a bigger selection of models and manufac. to choose from. Good luck with what ever you decide and welcome to irv2!
vincee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 10:51 AM   #5
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Hope you find the right rig for your needs! As others have said, I would recommend a Class C.

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2015, 03:31 PM   #6

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 05:20 AM   #7

Thank you for all the replies and advice! I've been also looking at B+ (pseudo-Cs) like the View which has wider bodies than say an ERA. Aside from length, my other concern is street parking or restaurants as we plan to bounce around quite a bit and will want to explore areas - shopping and restaurants.

Hopefully have an update soon as we're visiting dealer tomorrow .
Chabu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 06:21 AM   #8

Good luck with your search &

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
hal1phx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
KZ RV Club
Welcome to the forum. My best thought would be the floor plan. B's have come a long way in the last few years. There is going to be deals on all classes. If new is what you want that is fine. Buying a unit that is a few years old is sometimes a better choice because someone has actually used it and had issues addressed, new sometimes will need items fixed/repaired yea it's under warranty but if the dealership has it for a month well your just sol. Another issue back to floor plan make sure it all works for you and all others. One of the dumbest purchases we made was a small c with a corner bed...a pia making bed, getting in and out through the night etc. I just can't say enough about floor plan. If you buy used and not sure about the unit pay a pro the do an inspection. Good luck in your search.
ZOOKER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 07:55 AM   #10

Country Coach Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Welcome, glad to meet you!

Don't have any ideas on Bs or Cs, just wanted to say hey!
FMCA #F431170, GS #822128658, Escapees SKP #112655
2012 Airstream Mercedes Interstate Class B
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Medico is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
new member, rvs