Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-03-2012, 08:14 AM   #15

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
I would stay with what you have until you are sure you will like the fulltime lifestyle. We started our fulltime experience in a 31' Class C w/1 slide. While some can live in that small space, we could not. We traded for a 2004 37' Class A gasser w/3 slides, and 78,000 miles on it. That was last November and we are still going strong. We hope to stay in this rig for as long as we feel it to be dependable. We sit more than we drive, but we have put around 4,000 miles on it in the last year.

bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-03-2012, 11:43 AM   #16

Monaco Owners Club
I would certainly not fear "the devil you know" 75k is nothing. You are looking at regular maintenance, possible tires, and perhaps some chassis wear items. No sweat for a qualified do-it-yourselfer.

I would wonder about the size, how well the floorplan fits you, and how "liveable" the coach is. Full timing is not camping, and sometimes it rains.

Old 10-04-2012, 02:59 AM   #17

You know, I have talked to a couple people at the camp grounds who say they have over 75K on their MH and have had no big problems. Seems like you say, routine maintenance is the key.

Yeah. Tires. I suppose its one of those pay me now or pay me later deals. I'd rather later not be replacing tires on the road.

We like the floorplan. It has the table and chairs which we both like instead of a booth. And has a smaller sofa. My recliner is my favorite spot after the lawn chair. I've installed larger, flat screen TVs. Now to work on antenna and coax for better reception. I 'may' get a satellite antenna and service (ouch. more money).
SKP #111927
SteveCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 02:19 PM   #18

My 2 cents, even though I can only dream of full timing is to go along with the experienced FT's who suggest that you start out with your currant rig. Seems to make sense, you have a comfort level with it and you will have that comfort settling into a "new" lifestyle. I like the post that said "full timing isn't camping", almost profound sounding. Good luck with your decision.
Old 10-05-2012, 12:18 AM   #19

Thank you for the answers and suggestions folks. This has been helpful. I am seriously considering a few modifications to the present unit in preparation for full timing. We don't want new unit payments.

THEN. Oh ma gosh. You see. I own a private security company and we provide security for an RV dealership. Well. I get to look at a lot of RVs. I mean I get to take an in-depth look at them.

So. There sets this 2003 Holiday Rambler 36DBD trade-in unit. Might as well do the in-depth. So I did. The unit is immaculate. The kitchen shelves don't even show the wear normally expected. And only 15,000 miles. Bath and a half, washer/drier, double fridg. All the 'stuff' I figure one might need to make life on the road more pleasant. It is so nice. And the price is almost a straight trade (although I know I won't get away without writing some kind of check,). Now I've got myself really confused.

Southwind or Vacationer? Southwind or Vacationer? Etc..
SKP #111927
Old 10-05-2012, 12:55 AM   #20

Alpine Owners Club
SteveCal,
Drive the Vacationer. See how it handles. Is it comfortable to drive, back-up, and drive through a Walmart parking lot? Does it have the table and chairs? How about recliner and placement of the recliner? Then ther is that 'ol disease 2-foot-itis. (You know, "Wow, look at what I get for just 2 more feet".) Things to think about.
Old 10-06-2012, 06:30 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Cheryl View Post
SteveCal,
Drive the Vacationer. See how it handles. Is it comfortable to drive, back-up, and drive through a Walmart parking lot? Does it have the table and chairs? How about recliner and placement of the recliner? Then ther is that 'ol disease 2-foot-itis. (You know, "Wow, look at what I get for just 2 more feet".) Things to think about.
Test drive coming up. Nice leather recliner looks like new. Instead of table and chair it has chairs but an expanding table connected to the wall.

Well. For two more feet we get an extra half a bathroom. LOL.
SKP #111927
Old 10-06-2012, 06:38 AM   #22

I did a real in-depth this evening. Checked every door and drawer. Every curtain and the sofa-bed. Crawled underneath and checked the drive line. Needs a lub job. Looks like new brakes. Good exhaust system. BUT. The tires are dated 1002 and 1702. I ain't going out on ten year old tires. I don't care what anybody says. I was about to buy new tires for the Southwind anyway so that wouldn't be a real wallet shocker. Geeze. Still deciding. Mama sure likes that big bedroom, bath and a half and the washer/drier. I really like that recliner and big screen TV. Well, its bedtime so I'll sleep on it for a bit. Have a good day ya'll.
SKP #111927
Old 10-06-2012, 07:13 AM   #23

I don't know Steve, a bath and a half? If indeed you'll be fulltiming then I personally wouldn't want extra space taken up by that half bath. After spending almost 2yrs. researching we settled on a 2000 38' Dutch Star diesel pusher. We've been fulltiming for 2 1/2 yrs. now with no regrets. The way the market is I wouldn't discount getting a used diesel pusher. If you ever drive one it'll be hard to go back to a gasser.
Old 10-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #24

X2
If you're thinking about another coach, I would suggest you at least drive a DP prior to pulling the trigger on another gasser......
Old 10-06-2012, 08:22 AM   #25

Winnebago Owners Club
Appalachian Campers
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Mama sure likes that big bedroom, bath and a half and the washer/drier. I really like that recliner and big screen TV. Well, its bedtime so I'll sleep on it for a bit. Have a good day ya'll.
We have been fulltime for 1 1/2 years. Started with a 31' Class C, now own a 37' HR Class A. The coach is wired for a washer/dryer, but was converted to a pantry. Lots of room for my pots and pans, etc. I have talked to many who have the WD and don't use them, because they take so long to dry, they are for very small loads, and if I am paying electricity, I would imagine it would be costly there as well. I know people who have the WD and don't use them. They go to the laundry once a week and are done with it. So I have 4 extra shelves in my kitchen.
Storage is a big factor when full timing. There are many things I just could not give up when we sold the contents of the house. While the extra half bath would be nice at times, I would rather have the living space or storage all the time.

Just some things to think about. I am no expert, and people want different things . You didn't say how many slides the HR has versus the slides you have now. I do think you will be happier with the extra room. Good luck on your decision, and with going fulltime. Hope to see you on the road somewhere.
bsirby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2012, 01:44 AM   #26

Yeah. I'm having second thoughts about the HR. The 1/2 bath would have been nice on about two or three trip we have taken with others in the MH. But we did fine without it. And my little Bride is having second thoughts about the washer and drier 'inside' the MH. More power, more water, more dumping. And with laundry I think we all like to get that chore over with in short order as possible.

Well. We really do like our Southwind. So unless the guy comes round to almost giving away the HR???? Rekon I'll sleep on it again.

And. Ya know. Back in the old days (before kids. a long, long time ago) we would put our clothes in a 5 gallon bucket soap-n-water and hang it off the back of the van or pick-up and let the sloshing from driving wash the clothes. Then stop at a river or stream to rinse them and hang them in camp for the night to dry. And we were having fun. Enjoying it.
Mmmmm. Now a bucket hanging off the back of a MH might look odd. But.
SKP #111927
Old 10-08-2012, 06:37 AM   #27

Newmar Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveCal View Post
Yeah. I'm having second thoughts about the HR. The 1/2 bath would have been nice on about two or three trip we have taken with others in the MH. But we did fine without it. And my little Bride is having second thoughts about the washer and drier 'inside' the MH. More power, more water, more dumping. And with laundry I think we all like to get that chore over with in short order as possible.

Well. We really do like our Southwind. So unless the guy comes round to almost giving away the HR???? Rekon I'll sleep on it again.

And. Ya know. Back in the old days (before kids. a long, long time ago) we would put our clothes in a 5 gallon bucket soap-n-water and hang it off the back of the van or pick-up and let the sloshing from driving wash the clothes. Then stop at a river or stream to rinse them and hang them in camp for the night to dry. And we were having fun. Enjoying it.
Mmmmm. Now a bucket hanging off the back of a MH might look odd. But.
The washer/dryer is not usually used when boondocking. They are used when hooked up at some place with water, power and a place for the grey water to drain. Even our little Splendide would overpower our fresh and greywater system as efficient as it is. I would not discount the washer dryer option. It is really handy when on the road. Whatever your decision is, I am sure you guys will have a great time in your new motorhome. Good luck and seeya on the road.
2003 Newmar Kountry Star 3905, Freightliner XC chassis with CAT 330. Winnie the black lab, pretty Airbus captain wife, retired airline pilot with 11 grandkids. UH-1 pilot (Huey) U.S. Army 1967-1983. RVN 68-69. Northern Idaho my summer home.
calhyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 08:03 PM   #28

I would stay with what you have until you find there is a good reason for making the change. Once you have spent more time traveling you will have a much better idea of what works for you - and everyone is different and needs change over time as well.

More than a few friends have regretted going over 30' in length as it greatly limits where they can stay. If all you want are conventional RV parks and like that scene and don't mind the costs then it is not a problem. If you find yourself wanting to camp off the grid or stay in National Forest Service or BLM campgrounds then the extra length can be a very real problem.

There are also distinct advantages to 5th-wheel trailers over motorhomes if you stay in one place for a period of time and want to be able to take bicycles or kayaks or other equipment which is easy to haul inside or on top of a tow vehicle.

It is a buyer's market with regard to RV's and you will not get much for your old vehicle while still paying a premium for a new one.