Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-16-2017, 10:14 PM   #15

The Sleep Number sounds wonderful, but for now, it's beyond our budget. I'm still doing research, and we also went to look at the toppers today. Problem with toppers is that the original mattress is lopsided, so it's really ready to toss. I feel like I'm sleeping on the side of a hill!
DesertLass is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-17-2017, 07:57 AM   #16
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
A "bargain" mattress with the 2" natural latex topper will feel like a million dollars!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 09:32 AM   #17

We put a 4" foam topper on the mattress in our previous coach. Bought it via Walmart.com. It made a WORLD of difference in the comfort of that bed!

Our new (current) coach has a foam mattress and that sucker is so comfortable that there have been many times we considered going to sleep on it while here at the house! LOL

I would also advise to be sure any new mattress will fit with the slide if applicable. I can tell you from experience that The Original Mattress factory can and will make a mattress in a "short" size if needed. We needed a queen short in our previous coach. And when we added the foam topper, we just took an electric knife and trimmed the foam topper to fit.
Blondiega1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 08:06 PM   #18

Winnebago Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
We bought an RV Queen spring type mattress and were not real happy with it.
Added a 3" foam topper from Costco and now sleep well. The foam from Costco was cut to fit using an electric knife.
BWag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 10:35 PM   #19

Yes, that'st he kind of mattress that's on it now, a "spring" mattress. Feels like it's going to "spring" me right out of it

I considered using the mattress from the house, which is in storage...but it's too long to fit in there.

I did find one company that has a cool gel foam mattress that has one side firm, and one side gel top, which is softer. They give you 100 days to try it out, and if you don't like it, they'll have you donate it to charity then refund you. Seems like a winning offer to me...I may try that one. I'll let you all know what it's like when I get it.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
We also bought a 3 in. memory foam topper from Costco and it transformed our basic mattress into a very comfortable mattress. No regrets.
RV Carl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:14 PM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Mattress Reviews | Sleepopolis

This is an overall good review site on most of the major brands that you probably want to look at.
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 04:16 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
The Sleep Number sounds wonderful, but for now, it's beyond our budget. I'm still doing research, and we also went to look at the toppers today. Problem with toppers is that the original mattress is lopsided, so it's really ready to toss. I feel like I'm sleeping on the side of a hill!
Well, I have good news for you. You can get a better quality, adjustable air mattress for less money if you get one from a small manufacturer. We have one in our home, and it's so awesome. They can make pretty much anything you want, and it will always be less money than the big guys or definitely sleep number. We saved a LOT and got a lot better mattress. I suggest you look at www.themattressunderground.com for reviews of different companies, and I can send you the name of the company I bought from. If you want it, message me.
wildeflowers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 07:03 AM   #23

We had a memory foam mattress in our previous 5th wheel. The memory foam sagged after several hours of laying on it and when we move we end up rolling back into the low spot. When we would go to bed the next night the mattress would be fine again until we were on it for a while, it would sag again.

Our new 5th wheel has an inner spring mattress.I thought about getting a foam topper for it but as much as the springs pop and bottom out from a knee or elbow I think the topper might be a waste of money.

We are going to look at the sleep number mattresses tonight.
Old 02-22-2017, 07:38 AM   #24

I put this in our new to us RV and it is Great, as good as out Tempurpedic
IMHO. Great price and I paid about $30 less direct from the company and
that included free shipping and 2 gel memory pillows.

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattre.../dp/B0097X6730
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 11:38 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMFUN View Post
I put this in our new to us RV and it is Great, as good as out Tempurpedic
IMHO. Great price and I paid about $30 less direct from the company and
that included free shipping and 2 gel memory pillows.

https://www.amazon.com/DynastyMattre.../dp/B0097X6730
How firm is a mattress like this? Do you have a direct link to the company?
Old 02-27-2017, 11:53 PM   #26

Finally found a mattress today in Lake Havasu. Not many carry the RV sizes, but we found one. We tested both the gel foam and a cloud like pillow top spring mattress, the one that has individually covered springs. Well, the spring mattress won hands down. The gel foam type mattress was comfy, but too firm for me. Also, the thought of it getting moldy was a factor. We'll be picking it up next week, I can't wait for a comfortable night's sleep
Old 02-28-2017, 08:40 AM   #27
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
FWIW, Sleep Number may have "refurbished" mattresses at about 1/2 the price of a new one! These are ones that someone has returned within the grace period. They put all new fabric on them, and check them completely for proper operation.

You must call the factory direct for this deal. They do not sell them through their stores. We bought one a few years ago!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2017, 10:46 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertLass View Post
How firm is a mattress like this? Do you have a direct link to the company?
I am sorry for my late reply, I see you found one.

The link is Memory Foam Mattress, Pillow, Bed, Tempur-Pedic.

Our Mattress seems like it would be considered firm.

Russ
RMFUN is offline   Reply With Quote