Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-21-2014, 01:55 PM   #15

Exclamation Thank you and more information

First, thanks to all who have replied to my post. I love the RV but this refrigerator situation made me wonder about the integrity of the rest of the RV. After doing several months of research, I decided that I wanted to 2015 Navion 24J. I found one with all the options and colors that I wanted, so I made an offer and then further negotiated the deal. The RV was in Minnesota. I am in New Mexico. Told dealer the details of date would pick it up. We flew there to get the RV on a Thursday (a week after deal was struck). Out appointment to pick up was on Friday morning. Dealer was told we would be trekking to New Mexico that very day.

The day before we were told that the refrigerator needs a new circuit board. That it worked on the LP gas but not on electricity. They said they ordered the board but would not come in until the following week. I already was on the way to the airport and couldn't stay in MN another week while they fixed it. On the way home the LP gas didn't keep it cool either.

Now 1 week later no circuit board has arrived and the only 2 dealers here in Albuquerque have no appointments for about a month out.

It is a brand new RV -- never rented etc. Only had the miles from Forest City, IA to the dealership on it when we picked up.

The refrigerator is the Norcold 3150. I am disappointed because our friends (and me) really want to go camping now in the great Fall weather we have in New Mexico. The lights on the outside light up. It doesn't allow one to pick the electric setting (this refrigerator is supposed to pick whats available, gas, elec, or battery. We did allow sufficient time to cool. It got a little cool but not enough to keep the food from spoilation.

I have made an appointment with a local repair shop because the Norcold does have a 1 year warranty. The RV is also under warranty but I have read thousands of posts about what I can expect from any dealer.

I just really find it shocking that a brand new RV has a refrigerator that doesn't work I will let you know what the problem turns out to be and what the solution is. Thanks again!

Yours,
Happy Camper So far but may have to bring a cooler!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Carolina Campers
Hi,

I would not have accepted the RV and gone back to NM without one. Then after the RV dealer replaced the fridge I would have gone back and picked it up. OR........

Another thing I would have looked at a dealer close to home as a lot of dealers do not like to do warranty repair when you buy a coach someplace else although Winnebago says they must.

You could have also gone to Winnebago in Forest City and have them replace the fridge after all you were in MN.

Tom-NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 02:07 PM   #17

I would call Norcold and have them direct you to a repair shop that can handle this immediately. There are many smaller repair shops that are service only shops who may be authorized to work on the Norcold fridge, who aren't factory dealers who tend to make you wait weeks if not months for service.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 04:38 PM   #18

Here's a list of Norcold service centers in Albuquerque. Hope one can help you.

This is definitely the dealer's fault. On a new RV all appliances should have been tested and fixed thoroughly before leaving the lot. They should never have told you to come and pick it up before doing so. Good luck.

Service Centers
twogypsies is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:46 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shevegan View Post
The RV was in Minnesota. I am in New Mexico. Told dealer the details of date would pick it up. We flew there to get the RV on a Thursday (a week after deal was struck). Out appointment to pick up was on Friday morning. Dealer was told we would be trekking to New Mexico that very day.
The day before we were told that the refrigerator needs a new circuit board. They said they ordered the board but would not come in until the following week. I already was on the way to the airport and couldn't stay in MN another week while they fixed it.
Now 1 week later the only 2 dealers here in Albuquerque have no appointments for about a month out.
Yours,
Happy Camper So far but may have to bring a cooler!
Shevegan
Sorry about your fridge problem.
However, you are learning a two valuable lessons.
1.) RV dealers are more interested in satisfying their customers by fixing the RVs they sold, (and made money on), than they are in fixing an RV purchased from any other dealer.
2.) A bargain is only a bargain until it ISN'T!
Good luck.
Mel
'96 Safari
Mel
'96 Safari
Old 09-22-2014, 07:20 AM   #20

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The dealer did their due diligence. They called her the day before and told her the problem. She decided to go anyway. They told her the part was a week out. How is this their fault?
Old 09-22-2014, 10:06 AM   #21

Gulf Streamers Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoracing View Post
The dealer did their due diligence. They called her the day before and told her the problem. She decided to go anyway. They told her the part was a week out. How is this their fault?

Perhaps the parts distributor should be blamed for not having the part in stock, but the dealer discovered the issue, notified new owner, and ordered the replacement part. Why all the attacks on dealers? I always take a salesperson or dealer's spiel with a large nugget of salt, but in this case I don't see it. The board could have fried at the factory, (Winnie's fault not catching it) in transit, or the first time the dealer turned it on to test it. Sorry for Shevegan's hassle, but it comes with buying and owning an RV. They are complicated beasts.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 10:33 AM   #22

Fleetwood Owners Club
This is all pretty normal shakedown - consider yourself lucky. Grab a cooler, put some burgers on ice and go camping See what else you might find that's wrong for your punch list - there, of course, will be a few more things you find... I'm sure of it.

If a local dealer gives you grief about helping you "because you didn't buy it there" - firstly, I think this is very petty (what if you just moved there?). Second, they represent the brand period, I'd be calling the manufacturer and having them set the record straight with the local dealer. Manufacturers frown on this behavior as it makes the whole brand look bad.

Frustrating as it is, you'll get it fixed and you will really enjoy your RV. But I totally understand how disappointing it is when you're super excited to go, and something silly gets in the way.

Our fridge died right before a LONG trip (months long) and I was totally out of time without a lot of leeway to rearrange the trip, I considered buying one of those electric mini coolers if I had to - ended up though dropping a residential fridge in last minute.

Surely the original dealer would send you the board yes? Swapping it has got to be simple..... a couple of screws and a plug I bet.
RVM#78 - -USAF- F-15 Eagle Radar Vet
'05 Fleetwood Revolution '12 Chevy 2500 '15 Airstream Intl Sig. 27FB
'14 Ram 3500 Aisin
plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2014, 12:37 PM   #23

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Ok, this update is quite a bit different.. It is possible for a brand new ____ to have a fault, rare, but it happens. (Note the blank means this applies to any product) I mean, store I used to work for sold one item made by Goldstar (Not Lucky Goldstar) nearly all of 'em came back for warranty repair (This is only one of the reasons I do not like or want any LG products in my house, Dang Dometic bought my Microwave from LG, That is another,, I had to fix it (Re-engineer, Re-machine, and change one part for a GE part that actually works properly)

IF the unit were NOT under wattanty I would suggest you invest in a Dinosaur Boards replacement board but as it is.. Try the Norcold service centers the other respondent listed for you.

One thing I have found... Just because a dealer SAYS he ordered a part.. Does not mean they did.

Tags
refrigerator