Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-05-2018, 03:12 PM   #15

My wife and I retired a few years ago and bought a new 23’ Coleman TT. We put 16,000 miles on it along with several improvements. In less than one year we traded it for a new 31’ overall Keystone Bullett. 23,000 miles later we are now looking at new 5’ers and once we decide which one we want will trade our F150 Platinum Ecoboost for an appropriate 350 class diesel to handle it. We have been very happy with our choices so far. We like traveling and using our own bed, bathroom, etc.
bfisher003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-05-2018, 03:46 PM   #16

I think one of the problems leading to not using any RV is the decision the buyer made when he purchased it. Too large, too small, hefty payments which consume a lot of each month's paycheck or so cheap it will nickle and dime the buyer at every turn.
I learned at a very early age to buy within my budget and have enough cash left to enjoy what I bought. Although I don't pile a lot of miles on each season I use it for the reasons I bought it. It would drive me crazy to just see my MH sit idle for such a long time.
There are bigger and more expensive MH's nearby but I'm not giving in and entering a competition to upstage anyone.
Mine has everything I want and nothing I don't.
Lynn
Old 02-05-2018, 03:57 PM   #17

Sorry we bought a new 2016 Winnebago Vista LX 27N. Plan was 4 summer months in Florida at our beach house, 4 months in Seattle at a RV Park and the remaining months somewhere in between.
Spent 3 month of the first year in the shop for warranty repairs including two trips to the factory in Iowa for 14 different repairs. Total of 4 slide repairs, 3 leveling jack repairs including full replacement, and three partial reprints when the full body paint bubbled up and flaked off. Sold it at a huge loss and bought a 2004 Itasca Horizon 40AD. Very happy now. $80 in repairs since last June 15th.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:58 PM   #18

Repainted not reprints
Old 02-05-2018, 04:05 PM   #19

Absolutely! The construction not being as upgraded as the salesman made it out to be. Also warranty work not being as smooth as we were led to believe
Slapshoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:17 PM   #20
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Regretted buying a 1/2 ton pick-up.

Upgraded to a bigger truck w/ 4x4 after too many things wouldn't fit within capabilities...only took a year and a half to give-up trying to fit

Now, we have a Cummins/Dodge, 3500, 4x4 Dually Crew with a SnugTop.
Only problem (except the artificially inflated price of Diesel fuel) is reaching stuff at the far end of the 8.5 ft bed

For the RV...we had to take the required steps up the food chain...tent, pop-top, small TT, big TT, then finally Class A. Budget prevented buying our last RV first.
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:18 PM   #21

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Very happy with our 2005 Winnebago Aspect. This is our third RV if you count the tent camper we had back in the late 70's. Our second RV was a Trail-Lite TT, we loved it but it was a pain to set up and tow and we wanted something simpler. Our Aspect, we bought used at 50,000 miles so all the bugs were already squashed. It now has 90,000 miles and has been very reliable, other than normal wear and tear. I don't see us trading anytime soon. From what I read on this forum newer RVs seem to spend more time in the shop with warranty repairs than on the road. I'll let someone else deal with that and the first few years of depreciation.
baraff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #22

We bought somebody else's mistake. They did not do the research. Seemed like a good idea at the time. 1st RV. 6 months & 16,000 miles on a new 3500 DRW crewcab, the lifestyle was not for them. They wanted out in the worst way & it was the end of the season.

10 years later, 200,000 miles, hundreds of CGs, over 1,500 nights on the road, we could not be happier with their mistake.

People buy mistakes all the time. They keep them for a couple of years then go buy another that looks to be 'perfect'. And the cycle continues.
Triangle Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:29 PM   #23

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis
Very happy, first I educated myself on what I wanted on this forum. I also almost bought a new Entegra Cornerstone and then learned about Newmar and found a model that gave me more coach for less dollars. I am also very mechanically inclined and spent two day inspecting prior to buying my coach.

I can't wait for spring to get my baby out of storage.

Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:37 PM   #24

As with anything in life, you pay your money and take your chances. With this Newmar group, most have owned at least one RV before buying their current rig which leads me to believe "WE" all knew what were getting ourselves into. After years of owning my Kourtry Star, I can honestly say, I got exactly what I thought I was getting and am still very happy with this acquisition.
tizzyfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2018, 04:54 PM   #25

In 1994 bought a 19ft Nash TT. Drove by a dealer saw it on the lot, had a big dining room window, was our anniversay soooo, proud owner of first ever RV.

Had it a little over two years, no problems and not sorry but did get tired of making the couch into a bed and back info a couch. Used some of our new found knowledge and bought a 1996 24ft Prowler 5th wheel. Who cold possibly need more room than this.

Another two years and stopped at the previous Nash dealer and ended up sitting in a 28ft Artic Fox 5th wheel. As the one slide went out the DW's eyes kept getting bigger and my checkbook kept getting smaller. Yep, few weeks later proud owners of 1998 Artic Fox.

Three years later, please to no end with the RV lifestyle and present and previous trailer. BUT, got large bonus at work. Always really wanted a motorhome. Did I mention bonus was large... Shopped for about 7 months now that I had lots of knowledge on what we wanted and how we wanted to use it. Ened up buying the 2nd coach we ever looked at. TA DA new owners of 2001 Newmar Kountry Star DP (36ft).

Fast forward 16 years! Did love that coach but it was getting on in years (kind of like me) kids were grown, grandkids getting there so we decided to downsize.

Sooo, back to the research and looking arena. In April of 2016 bought new Forest River Forester Class C (30ft).

Have enjoyed every one of our rigs, have not had any issues with any dealer/manf issues with any of them. Each upgrade has been with more knowledge, higher useage, and different needs. Not sure there's much I would do differently.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:55 PM   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Monaco Owners Club
Texas Boomers Club
No, not really. We bought our first RV, a 25' travel trailer used and took it to Alaska and back and sold it for what we paid. Then we bought a 5th wheel and owned it for 11 years before upgrading to our current coach. We loved each one and used it frequently. It's funny how things work out. When we went to look at the TT, we stepped into a 2000 Beaver DP and marveled at the amenities and space. Almost 18 years later we ended up with a similar vintage DP.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:56 PM   #27

I am on my 5th RV 2 popup campers and three 5er's I have never regretted purchasing any of them. We enjoyed each one in it's own way. The kids (adults now) complained that they were stuck in the popups and we get to Glamp in the 5ER's. I told them my money I get to do what I want to do with it.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:53 PM   #28

Very happy with the Tioga 29SL, everything just works, and worked over the years. Feel fourchant that everything just keeps going.
Do like to work on it and keep it in top shape, have had to replace the basics, tires, batteries, awning, but that is expected.
Only downside I had is when the springs wore out after about 5 years. It was just to heavy to be built on this chassis. But took it to the spring shop, (sprung it up to a E550). And it now drives better than when it was new.

Would trust it to take anywhere, no matter how far and back. That is a nice feeling.