Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-18-2011, 07:25 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
New RVer

Hello All,

Wife, Bobbi, and I, Jim are new to the RV scene. We just purchased a Fleetwood Bounder and would like to find out if there are any RV driving schools or instructors in the Northern Ilolinois area. Anybody know of any? I have driven an RV before but Bobbi has not. She is nervous about it and I think it would not be good for our relationship if I tried to teach!!

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Hi folks! Welcome to IRV2! Can't help on your question but I bet someone can. You will get more responses if you repost it under General Discussions! Good luck!

2002 Monaco Windsor 40PBT, 2013 Honda CRV AWD
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM   #3
Community Moderator

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Jim & Bobbie;

Welcome to iRV2. We are glad you found us. I am sorry i can't answer your question. I have a similar issue. We just purchased our first DP and my DW is intimidated by it. She has driven all our past coaches and wants to drive this one also. I believe I will take her out on a rural less traveled road and try to get her familiar with the different driving characteristics.

Don
Don & Bev Morgan Weyauwega WI, 05 Itasca Horizon 40KD, 400 HP Cummins, Delorme GPS LT 40, Toad 07 Saturn Vue AWD, Air Force One, TST 510 TPMS, Mayor of Weyauwega 2007 - 2013, Waupaca Co Board Supervisor 2010 - 2014
Petro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 11:02 AM   #4

Try Escapees. Also Gypsy Journal. If you got here you can find them online.
Old 08-24-2011, 04:28 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
Jim, we're also in northern I'll.
I'll be glad to teach your drive a motorhome if u can teach mine?

Warning. Mine NEVER drives on vacation. Not her own suv unless I've had a drink. Not her suv ijf we were towing a boat. Not either motorhome, ever.

He!!, she doesn't even get out and direct traffic when I'm trying to back into a campsite, never ever helps with hooking up or setting up camp, can't eveb retract the step cover when we're heading into a fuel stop!

Heck, if your does many of those things without being asked, we could trade?
Old 08-24-2011, 06:04 PM   #6

Nor'easters Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
KZ RV Club
You might be able to find an OTR truck driver in your area that would be willing to help you out. They know more about driving then the teachers know. They always say that those that can do an those that can't teach.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:21 PM   #7

Many Illinois Community Colleges operate CDL Training Programs (I know because I run one) Tell me approximately where you are and I can tell you who has the program nearest you. Their instructors are licensed to teach in Class A vehicles including motorhomes. We recently provided instruction to 6 nurses who operate a mobile mammography van. None had ever driven Class A before. We covered everything from backing to emergency maneuvers to fuel-pump etiquette (yes Virginia truckers have their little rules too). Chances are you can procure the services of the instructor for a few hours or a day for a reasonable fee.

RW
Old 08-25-2011, 07:13 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzi8622 View Post
Many Illinois Community Colleges operate CDL Training Programs (I know because I run one) Tell me approximately where you are and I can tell you who has the program nearest you. Their instructors are licensed to teach in Class A vehicles including motorhomes. We recently provided instruction to 6 nurses who operate a mobile mammography van. None had ever driven Class A before. We covered everything from backing to emergency maneuvers to fuel-pump etiquette (yes Virginia truckers have their little rules too). Chances are you can procure the services of the instructor for a few hours or a day for a reasonable fee.

RW
We live in Huntley, IL
Old 08-25-2011, 10:01 AM   #9

Your closest source is McHenry County College. Their CDLwebsite is Continuing Education Courses

I've met the woman who coordinates their program but don't know her all that well. I suggest giving them a call to see if they are willing to let you hire an instructor for a 1/2 day or full-day at an hourly rate. Since you'd be using your own vehicle they won't have any cost except for instructor wage. One of the instructors may even be willing to do it on their own on a Saturday or something. If they won't do it we would certainly be happy to but we're located in Mattoon, IL a couple hundred miles south of you. If you were coming our way at some point on a trip I'd be happy to set it up. Our cost would be $35 per hour for the instructor's time. My number is 217-234-5305 if interested.

As a rule, you'll find that licensed CDL instructors are nice folks and have a lot of road experience. Also, they've learned a variety of techniques for working with new and nervous students. You haven't lived until you've taken a newby down the road for the first time in a 13 speed Peterbilt pulling a 53' trailer. We've seen it all and lived to talk about it.

The nurses we trained were very pleased with their ability to drive and maneuver. I see them on the road frequently and they seem to be doing a great job getting their big Class A mammography van around the region.

Good Luck and call if we can help.

RW
Old 09-13-2011, 06:19 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks,
I am located in Huntley, IL. That's not too far from Elgin. Even though my MAN brain says I know how to drive the van, I could use some of the instruction you mentioned. Tell me where to go in this area. Even if we have to travel a bit , no problem

Regards

Jim jamesvinton@comcast.net
Old 09-13-2011, 07:53 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
these guys take their school on the road
Boot Camp - Written by Boot Camp Training Learn what every... | Camp, Boot, Driving, Experience, Driver

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote