Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-18-2015, 01:57 PM   #1

New RV'r

My wife and I just bought a new Class A. We're wondering what people think about extended warranties - whether it's worth the price - any recommendations? Thanks.
REME2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2015, 02:46 PM   #2

Newmar Owners Club
Spartan Chassis

Congratulations on your new coach. I don't belive in extended warranties, but that's my opinion.
denlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:48 PM   #3
Senior Member/RVM #90

Monaco Owners Club
Welcome to IRV2! We're sure glad you joined us!

Congrats on the new rig! Keep her between the ditches!

I personally don't go in for extended warranties, but some say they have paid off for them. I would just look at it like insurance...you hope you don't need it but it's good to have when you do!

Good luck, happy trails, and God bless!
MSHappyCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 06:19 PM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Congrats,
I would recommend you call Wholesale Warranties, I have used them on my last two coaches and great service and deal. Ask for Brittney or David and tell the Bob from NC sent you.

Safe Travels
rvbunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:00 PM   #5

A really good thing to remember about ESP is that you need to read what is "NOT" covered as well as what is covered. Remembering that these policies are written by lawyers, and not your lawyer.
Do I have one ? yes. They are also negotiable in price. So shop around and don't be affraid to throw out a number that you are happy with.
Old 05-18-2015, 07:18 PM   #6

Congratulations. We're not into warranties but ended up purchasing one. We negotiated a lower price as we knew that they start high. We ended up paying $4000 for extended warranty on new Winn View. It covers so much with only $100 deductible. We felt this was a small investment for peace of mind if something goes wrong.
GandT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 07:28 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
My extended warranty just expired. I never filed a penny's worth of claim. I am one lucky dude, but I'm still glad I bought it.

With the same mentality that states that I'm hoping I never need the collision insurance on my car. I don't think I wasted my money just because I haven't had an accident in 27 years, and obviously I don't think "why buy it next year?"

You can underwrite you new motorhome yourself? or pay a monthly premium to let them do it. It's less a question of "is it a good deal" than "can you easily afford to buy a new engine or tranny without it?" Personally I'd be hard pressed to pay for a replacement engine or tranny while traveling without using high interest credit cards.

(Snowbirds in Reverse)
Winnebago Chieftain / Ford Hybrid Toad
Raining Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:01 AM   #8

When we bought ours we purchased the extended warranty thru the dealer. He basically sold it to us for a couple hundred over his cost($2500). We only bought the one that covers the MH, and not the chassis/drive train. The Ford warranty covers the drive train/chassis for 5 years and I think 60,000 miles. The extended warranty we bought covers the MH portion for everything for 7 years, and has a $100 deductible. Some of the stuff in the MH has 2-3 years of factory warranty and that would apply before the extended warranty. Even though I am not a fan of extended warranties, this is pretty cheap insurance/peace of mind for me. One thing like a fridge, furnace, AC, heat pumps ect could easily pay for the warranty. At this price point to buy the MH, the extra money is well worth it, and I will be even happier if I never have to use it.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 12:19 PM   #9
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner

Good luck with your decision.
See My Pace Arrow Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:02 AM   #10

If your RV is new, then I certainly wouldn't purchase an ESP yet. Wait til your manfacturers is ready to expire, then shop around. I wouldn't buy from a dealer, you can do better on your own.
Ramets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 06:07 AM   #11

Newmar Owners Club
Congratulations and welcome to the forum
Ron & Kerrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 12:58 PM   #12

Rexhall Owners Group
It's insurance, it's a crapshoot. Your choice to buy it or not. I do not EVER take extended warranties on anything. If you do decide to buy the coverage, DO NOT let them add it to your payments. Imagine how much $3-4000 would end up costing you over the life of your loan. Probably 3 or 4 times that amount. Write them a check for it. They won't like it but they will do it.
Old 05-20-2015, 01:08 PM   #13

Entegra Owners Club
Send a message via MSN to KennyGolub
I bought it hoping not to need it, but for the peace of mind.
KennyGolub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2015, 01:09 PM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Send a message via AIM to Statgeek Send a message via MSN to Statgeek Send a message via Yahoo to Statgeek
We have tried to claim a couple of things on our extended warranty, that was touted to cover "everything inside your RV, and most of the chassis stuff too!" and on both occasions they rejected us. One claim was to replace a leaking airbed mattress, the second was for part of a closet door that broke on a bumpy road. I'm not sure what you think, but in my book, both of those items were "inside the RV," and yet neither was replaced by the warranty.

In both instances I was able to get the actual manufacturer of the bed and door to step up and replace the defects, but in neither case did the extended warranty help me.

I am generally against these extended warranties, but when I went to sign for our RV purchase, they got me in a moment of weakness. The lines about "protecting our investment" somehow resonated more than it should have. In retrospect, I wish that I hadn't bought it. I believe that it would have been possible for me to purchase the warranty AFTER WE CLOSED--maybe even a year or two later. That would have allowed us to pour over the paperwork and fine print long enough to have made a more informed decision. Maybe we would have bought it anyway? I suspect not.
Statgeek is offline   Reply With Quote