Go Back   iRV2 Forums > iRV2.com COMMUNITY FORUMS > iRV2.com General Discussion
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-17-2011, 05:16 PM   #15

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_D View Post
A LITTLE late for a PDI done one it's paid for and delivered to the buyer don't you think?
Why, what better way for him to have a complete inspection done, so he is aware of all issues before his next road trip. I do realize he already bought it so pre delivery is over. Do you have a better check list he could use? If so offer it up.

With this being his first MH waiting until he is on the road to find an issue could be a big deal for someone not experienced in diagnosing and repairing MH issues. Don't you think?

sdennislee is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2011, 05:24 PM   #16
Community Administrator

Fleetwood Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredmsgt2 View Post
Packed up to go home but RV would not start. Called dealership and they sent men to start it and drive it back to their mechanics.
I for one would like to know why it did not start mechanical or procedural problems?

See My RV Upgrades
JohnRR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2011, 10:22 PM   #17

Tiffin Owners Club
Welcome

Yes, there is a lot to learn about all the systems onboard and the procedures to get everything to work right. You'll learn and have chuckle or two after you do learn. It is all doable once you know the ins and outs. Like others have said there is always something that needs fix'n. A lot of it you can do yourself once you know how it is supposed to work.

A lot of the folks here can help explain the way things work and how fix it if it doesn't work. Reading their stories will add to your knowledge base and in no time at all you'll be helping some no person with their rig.

Happy Trails !
Old 12-17-2011, 10:33 PM   #18

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve N Sal View Post
Most diesels have a good CCC rating I hope yours does as well.
Our DSDP had a CCC of 663#'s at delivery and all that was on the rear axle, in fact the rig was 50#'s overweight on the front axle if I filled the fuel and propane tanks and that was BEFORE we ever got anything loaded or ourselves in the seats.
Newmar did have Spartan put a new 14,600# axle (to replace the 12,000# original) in though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 01:36 PM   #19
rex

Monaco Owners Club
Hate to give you the BAD news, but you may have another very expensive problem - trailing arms that fail. They could have already been replaced, but you should definitely check this out QUICK.

Trailing Arms Cracked on Roadmaster

Your coach is in the group that has this problem.

2001 Monaco Diplomat 40' PDQ - 08 Honda CR-V
rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:19 PM   #20

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmsgt2
Thanks to everyone for the welcome and good wishes. Have had Monaco check the VIN and all recalls have been completed. Dealer installed a brake controller (free) for the tow dolly, and is replacing some gauges that don't work. Should be ready to roll soon...just need to sell my house here in Arkansas. Have job offers for next summer in Montana, Iowa, and Ohio. Thanks, again for the help.
retiredmsgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 05:34 PM   #21

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Here is a link to the 3 recalls that effect your coach. http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/recalls/results.cfm

I have attached a picture form another thread that will show you the difference in the new vs. recalled trailing arm.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trailing_arm.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	36.0 KB
ID:	16466  
Old 12-18-2011, 05:53 PM   #22

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
While I don't know yet why it did not start (please tell us) This I do know.

I've had my rig, even when it was very new, not start,, (Well it started with the Emergency Start/Boost/Aux Start switch (Whatever they call it in your rig) Turned out to be a "No cost" repair (Clean terminal, good to go)

As for the dump plumbing falling apart the first time you use it.. IF that's the case then it was good when it was tested.. Alas, that's the way it is some times.. When it fails.. IT fails suddenly, no warning as a general rule.. The good news.. It does not often fail.. In fact, short of road damage (Which is NOT your problem) Or freezing in the winter. (Again I do not think that was your problem) Both of which it would have failed on the way to the RV park. not when you went to dump.. .I've never heard of it.

But that said.. I'm not a service techinician.. Just a long time reader of these forums.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:11 PM   #23

Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
Why, what better way for him to have a complete inspection done, so he is aware of all issues before his next road trip. I do realize he already bought it so pre delivery is over. Do you have a better check list he could use? If so offer it up.

With this being his first MH waiting until he is on the road to find an issue could be a big deal for someone not experienced in diagnosing and repairing MH issues. Don't you think?
You missed the point completely!!

A PDI is a Pre Delivery Inspection!! Once you've taken delivery there is no way to have a PDI done. Any inspection should be done BEFORE delivery. Once it's delivered to the buyer you have very little leverage to get it fixed.

Sorry you didn't see mu point.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 08:28 PM   #24
KIX

Quote:

A PDI is a Pre Delivery Inspection!! Once you've taken delivery there is no way to have a PDI done. Any inspection should be done BEFORE delivery. Once it's delivered to the buyer you have very little leverage to get it fixed.

MrD....Looks like you missed SDennisLee's point while you were dwelling on semantics. So, change the name of it to a Post Delivery Inspection. The point is that the new owner can learn quite a bit about his new RV and maybe even find something that needs repairing BEFORE it breaks.
KIX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:08 PM   #25

Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43''s Avatar

I first mentioned PDI in post #6...I should have written "use a PDI checklist" to ensure all systems and the M/H are in acceptable condition. Had I done that PRE/POST would not be an issue.
Ronnie Bledsoe 2006 Dutchstar 43' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2011, 09:23 PM   #26

Damon Owners Club
anyone have a good copy of a pdi? I am picking up my 2006 Damon on Jan. 3
Old 12-22-2011, 01:14 AM   #27

Monaco Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:

I think you missed my point. I suggested the PDI checklist as a way for him to find any additional items so that he would be aware of them. I never suggested he use the results to go back on the dealer. Although it does seem his dealer is willing to work with him to some extent. The PDI checklist is the most comprehensive checklist he could use. At a minimum he would know the condition of his rig before his next road trip. This would hopefully eliminate any big surprises.

Since he didn't have a PDI he should at least go through the checklist before his next trip.

Is there any reason the PDI checklist can not be used?

He is new to RV's and therefore I suspect not up to speed on diagnosing system issues.

My intent was that he or someone perform a thorough inspection prior to his next road trip. THis would provide him an opportunity to have repairs made while comfortably at home rather than on the side of the road or in a CG somewhere.

Since his dealer was willing to take care of the first 2 issues perhaps he would also be willing to work with him on any other issues if brought them forward in a timely manner.

I disagree that once delivery is taken you can not have the PDI performed. You can have a PDI performed anytime you choose to do so. You will not have any recourse against the dealer should the PDI identify issues, but at least you will be aware of them. Which was the point of my suggestion to simply inform the owner of the true condition of his new rig.

Your inside the box way of thinking about the inspection would have him finding the issues one at a time as things fail.

I find it insulting that you felt it necessary to define PDI for me.
Old 12-23-2011, 05:50 AM   #28

Monaco Owners Club
Send a message via Yahoo to retiredmsgt2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdennislee View Post
I think you missed my point. I suggested the PDI checklist as a way for him to find any additional items so that he would be aware of them. I never suggested he use the results to go back on the dealer. Although it does seem his dealer is willing to work with him to some extent. The PDI checklist is the most comprehensive checklist he could use. At a minimum he would know the condition of his rig before his next road trip. This would hopefully eliminate any big surprises.

Since he didn't have a PDI he should at least go through the checklist before his next trip.

Is there any reason the PDI checklist can not be used?

He is new to RV's and therefore I suspect not up to speed on diagnosing system issues.

My intent was that he or someone perform a thorough inspection prior to his next road trip. THis would provide him an opportunity to have repairs made while comfortably at home rather than on the side of the road or in a CG somewhere.

Since his dealer was willing to take care of the first 2 issues perhaps he would also be willing to work with him on any other issues if brought them forward in a timely manner.

I disagree that once delivery is taken you can not have the PDI performed. You can have a PDI performed anytime you choose to do so. You will not have any recourse against the dealer should the PDI identify issues, but at least you will be aware of them. Which was the point of my suggestion to simply inform the owner of the true condition of his new rig.

Your inside the box way of thinking about the inspection would have him finding the issues one at a time as things fail.

I find it insulting that you felt it necessary to define PDI for me.
Folks, I started this thread to help those newbies out there to watch out for unscrupulous salesmen who have no aversion to lieing about what they are selling. In my case the owner of the dealership stepped in to salvage the reputation of his business. They have my MH right now, and are repairing several things (ABS switch, new windshield wiper assy, Trans heat gauge). The trailing arms were replaced previously...by the best ones. I purchased the owner's manual from Monaco, and have been educating myself on all the systems. I attended a class given by the RV Professor, and have the capability of checking/repairing most things that make RVing worthwhile. I changed the generator oil/filter, so you know I have been under the MH. Found a group of wires rubbing the steering column, and got all my gauges working like they should. Will have to pay for some things I requested, but we will be safe and comfortable when we finally hit the road. A PDI checklist would have helped me identify areas where my knowledge was deficient, and help me with the new language concerning diesel RVing. It would have given me direction to the right person to assist me in my purchase. I have learned a lot, and can use my experience to help someone else...which leads me to this point. Let's all work together to help one another, and not get personal in our comments. You have greatly influenced my focus, and I thank you for the information exchange.

retiredmsgt2 is offline   Reply With Quote